Minecraft [Optimize] Make your minecraft run smoother!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ezzerland, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    Read If:
    • You want your Minecraft to run smoother (Read FAQ for explaination of smooth)
    • You know how to edit JVM arguments in Minecraft launchers profile settings
    • You are willing to comment about whether or not this helped you
    JVM Arguments:
    64-bit computer with at least 6GB Spare ram (Read Spare Ram below):
    Code:
    -client -d64 -Xms6G -Xmx6G -Xmn128m -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=10 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=50 -XX:+AggressiveOpts
    Short Explanation of Args:
    (Only touching the args you can manipulate. I recommend leaving the others alone)
    -client
    Marks your Java Virtual Machine (JVM) as a client application.
    -d64
    Marks 64bit software
    -Xms and -Xmx
    Min/Max Allocated Ram to your Minecraft client. Note that the Max ram you allocate will be unusable by the rest of your system so there is really no point in setting the Min amount lower.
    -Xmn
    Memory used by the garbage collector for destroyed variables so having it high means big collections of garbage, having it low means frequent. For most people I'd say 128 or 256 should be enough.

FAQ:
    What is 'Spare Ram' ?
    - The average system on Windows 7 to Windows 10 uses 2GB of ram for system processing. Logically, you need to leave at least that much ram or more available to your computer or it will crash. So, if you have 12GB of ram or more, the above setting is fine.

What if I don't have that much Spare Ram?
    Then you need to play with the -Xms6G and -Xmx6G settings and lower them to an amount suitable for you and the amount of ram you can spare. For example, if you have 8GB of ram, I would try 3-4G at most (keep both settings the same).

Why did you go with G1GC over CMS?
    In my stress tests, G1GC calls GC collection 2-3 times as frequently, however, they are much smaller collections and process significantly faster. Let me show you:
    [​IMG]
    The first half of this graph uses CMS while the second half uses G1GC.
    The Red bars represent the size of the collection.
    The blue line represents the amount of time it took to process the collection.
    With G1GC on the right, you can see its "spikes" are about as high as the lower end of CMS.

What do you mean Smooth? Higher FPS?!
    No. This will not likely improve your FPS. Depending on your system, it may, but in function this is not the intended purpose. By smooth I mean that you will experience less lag spikes and your FPS should stay more consistent.

Do you have other tips to help increase FPS and make the game run faster?
    Yes! A few specific ones. But lets start here. Maybe later I will release information on Performance Improvements such as Texture Packs, Optifine Settings or the BetterFPS mod.

Other Performance Tips:
    [Optimize] Optifine settings and more

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Davey, TreeKillerMan, Praetor and 5 others like this.
  2. noah

noah Moderator Plus Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    left4lag
    Works great. Makes my game feel a lot smoother than before I used these settings no lag spikes or anything. Thanks ;p

Ezzerland likes this.
  3. TRXMM

TRXMM Donator

Minecraft:
    Tremmothy
    Worked. Went from 500 to 600fps. gg.

Ezzerland likes this.