Urban vs. Suburban vs. Rural

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by ItsJerry, Apr 29, 2020.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Urban

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Suburban

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. Rural

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. -insert unserious meme answer-

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Starixty

Starixty Donator

living in nyc, it's pretty urban here. sometimes i hate because to get places i have to take public transportation and people are disgusting and rude for no reason. however, living here also gives me so much to do. i could go to manhattan and see all the fancy lights, visit some museums, and go to some cool stores (like the nintendo store) or, i could go to queens and visit the botanical garden. i could go to brooklyn and go to one of the most popular amusement parks (coney island). if you go to the bronx have fun getting robbed and if you go to staten island have fun being bored cause there's nothing to do there.

long story short, urban neighborhoods are the best

Kaylyn, Disphxrial and sool like this.
  2. Smg

Smg Retired | Also known as 'Phaithful' Donator

Minecraft:
    Phaithful_
    I live in suburban, and am completely content with this life. Can't even imagine living in the big city, especially having to drive in one or be forced to pay for transportation each time I want to go somewhere.

Also, my insane fear of heights. Can't imagine myself ever living inside a big building. lol

3. ExperienceDady

ExperienceDady Ahsoka Donator

Minecraft:
    ExperienceDady
    İ live in urban area but i want live suburan
    İ whish i had born iceland.i love iceland house

4. TheDiamondPicks

TheDiamondPicks String.format("%d %s", 404, "Title not found") Donator

Minecraft:
    TheDiamondPicks
    I currently live in an urban area (although the city I'm in isn't super urban tbh), but I lived the vast majority of life in a rural area.

It isn't fun lol.

Basically you have bad internet, if you want to do anything with friends for whatever, then it's a 20km drive into town (luckily that was only ~20 mins for us) plus if you don't have a drivers licence, you have to be a lot more dependant on your parents to pick you up/drop you off. It gets a lot better if you have a drivers licence (but then it gets quite expensive to drive everywhere, petrol/diesel is quite expensive here). Sure the open space and stuff is nice, but the tradeoff is, if you live on a farm, like I did, then you have to do a lot of work to keep it maintained.

So I'd rather live in a big city, which leaves only like two cities in NZ.

Kaylyn, ItsJerry and sool like this.
  5. Buck

Buck Moderator | Builder Donator

Minecraft:
    oBuck
    Currently live in suburban, rural is a vibe tho

6. rosellavio

rosellavio Donator

Somewhere in between Urban and Suburban. I want there to be a lot of shops and places to go to, but not skyscrapers everywhere.

7. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I would love to live in a super rural area... as long as I have the interwebz. I live in the "city" now but it's on the outskirts not not entirely suburban. I'm okay with it now but.... I want more chickens.

8. Mookey

Mookey OITC Veteran Donator

Minecraft:
    Mookey_
    Up until a year ago I was living with my parents in a suburban area and I found that pretty comfortable. Now I live downtown pretty much. I've gotten used to it by now, but I'd still prefer the suburbs honestly. Urban cities with a massive population wouldn't do for me.

Also, I can't be bothered to live in a rural area. It's peaceful and having hardly anyone around you can be soothing, but I need people around me or it will drive me insane.

witchchick128 likes this.
  9. Netherr

Netherr Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Netherlasting/Netherr
    My family owns houses and/or apartments in all three types of those places.

In general, I love living in urban locations. It's full of life in my opinion, and it's what I'm used to. However, I do prefer rural locations, especially when I want to rest and relax and get away from the loud and busy life.

10. Soso

Soso cringe Donator

Minecraft:
    SosoTheOrange
    I live in rural and its nicer than cities in my opinion. Cities are kinda ew tbh and way too smoky so I think the area I live is pretty good

11. Saul1337

Saul1337

12. momand

momand ex-god Donator

I live in a suburban neighborhood but I live close to downtown, which is pretty urban

@JokerBen can confirm

retirednow likes this.
  13. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    I live in Florida...

Unless you're in Orlando or Miami, you're surrounded by the kinds of people who go by some weird shit like "Joe Exotic".

I have better luck finding a million dollars on the floor than finding a neighbor that isn't missing 4 teeth from making moonshine in the hills.

This song is as accurate of a statement you'll get about Florida, and I approve.

14. Disphxrial

Disphxrial Donator

Minecraft:
    Disphxrial
    I also live in New York and I live in a pretty suburban area in Brooklyn. It's nice and I can walk a short distance to do anything I have to do (i.e. get a haircut, get food, go food shopping, etc.). I live right next to the train station, and contrary to Jourdan I actually love taking the train. It's calming and I get to see some nice sunrises in the morning on my way to school. While I love where I live, every part of me has always felt most at home when in Manhattan. All of the noise, flashing lights, beautiful scenery calls to me and I know one day I have to live there. I plan on going to college in Manhattan so I can spend as much time as humanly possible where I feel most alive. It could not come soon enough. I can never get tired of the buzz that comes from just walking around the city with friends and finding the most fun in doing the smallest things. It truly is the city that never sleeps and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

TLDR; I love my suburban neighborhood but urban cities will always have my heart.

Kaylyn likes this.
  15. CensoredAnime

CensoredAnime Donator

Minecraft:
    RykkerBillySiere
  16. RedyGo

RedyGo ehe

Minecraft:
    RedyGo
    I live in Suburban and i don’t want to go anywhere

17. PhantomStar

PhantomStar Zzzzz... Donator

Minecraft:
    StarlightFoxx
    (Old thread oops uwu)
    Having moved semi-recently from living in the suburbs all my life, to just outside of town, fuck the suburbs, especially ones built after the turn of the century. People are packed like sardines in cookie-cutter houses and tiny yards. Too far from shops for it to be reasonable. We have a smaller house now, yes, but a lot more open space now, and its quieter. We don’t even know our neighbors (besides next lot over, they own horses) and we have no interest in meeting each other, because we don’t have to!
    That said I also see the appeal in living in the city. Everything you could ever need is three feet from your flat. That’s handy if you go to the store and forget something

18. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    great sense of community

this being said not all of suburbia sucks, only the one built by car lobbyists and especially north americans. recently watched this very good video by Not Just Bikes regarding a better type of suburb. i've been living in a suburb with public transport and a main street, and they're gonna rebuild our streetcar in the following years. life's not so atrocious here.

ItsJerry and PhantomStar like this.
  19. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    this guy's videos are great, very informative videos on city design, but it's funny how my netherlands experience doesn't match his utopian description of amsterdam at all. growing up in a suburb of a medium-sized city it's hard to relate to his constant high praise of dutch city design. you absolutely need a car where i live. it takes only 10 minutes to drive to downtown by car but probably an hour by bus (there is only one bus route that goes through my neighborhood). can do bicycle 30 minutes and it's not pleasant, cycling is not chill in windy/rainy NL, also cycling next to mostly high speed stroads like that last pic but replace the fast food with industrial warehouse type buildings. that's just my neighborhood tho, it depends where you live

dinoceros likes this.
  20. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

when i went to amsterdam in 2018, we stayed in a cheap suburban hotel and it indeed felt very american-esque in its car-centric design. however, once you hop on a train and get closer to central Amsterdam, it's really amazing how great the design is.
    what you say about the 10 minute drive vs 60 minute bus ride is something i feel alot, my college is like 15min drive away from where i live but if i take public transport it takes 45-75 minutes with a transfer. go figure. europe is often portrayed as this urbanist utopia by americans (understandably--you can't even safely take a walk where my gf lives in suburban Georgia, USA), but alot of people's experiences really dont match that utopia. i know some german dude who doesnt even have public transport in his village lol.

at least u have an option to live car free if you want to, which is already better than a vast majority of americans. unless you're lucky enough to live in a big city that has mayors and state DoT's who have a decent urbanist vision (new york, montreal, vancouver, albuquerque/santa fe...) you're just fucked if you dont have a car.

with how urbanist NL politics are, i wouldnt be surprised if your town was made livelier in the future. hopefully it does cuz living car free is one hell of a great privilege

ItsJerry likes this.