tech support help please(>﹏<)

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by retirednow, Aug 25, 2020.

1. retirednow

retirednow I'll be back sometimes to check in :) Donator

I'm back with a somewhat urgent question for everyone in this community who has a big brain

I had a data loss scare. Nothing important, but will be mildly inconvenient to recreate. I need to stop whatever is causing this before it IS something important or irreplaceable. I have a WD Passport External Drive on Windows 10, got a pop up asking to Scan and Repair the drive, I allowed it. After it's "fixed", some files are gone. I've tried the Wondershare RecoverIt, Disk Drill, and PC Inspector File Recovery, all found nothing. I'm working on finding a data storage alternative, but I'm asking with a sense of urgency if there are any ideas on how to recover what was lost in case it happens again before I have another viable option. Thanks.

Trevor likes this.
  2. aveliss

aveliss Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    aveliss
    You could try Recuva, its made by the same people as CCleaner. I've used it in the past and its done a solid job.

Ezzerland and retirednow like this.
  3. Apex_SkyShadow

Apex_SkyShadow My Doggo & Pupper = Best Doggo & Pupper Combo Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    EwwwApex - Apex_SkyShadow - MC_Scoot - DeskSlam
    If your computer does backups regularly (should be able to check in settings somewhere) and you might be able to revert to an earlier save on the computer that still had that data. Other than that, I'm not sure. I've had one full wipe of a hard drive and a scare similar to yours. It might be the hard drive itself starting to fail and not being able to detect what it has stored. When the most recent one started to go, it was making clicking noises and repeatedly showing that it wasn't connected (internal hard drive, but still the same concept). Depending on how long you've had it for, it might just be time to get a new one, especially if it does start having problems like this and to ensure any more data doesn't get lost.

4. Davey

Davey Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    Dadvey | Dohe
    Another alternative to hard drives would be cloud storage if you're comfortable with that. Drop box and mega are two viable options.