OITC LAG

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Du_ck, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Du_ck

Du_ck OITC Tourney Host Donator

Minecraft:
    Gornk / Du_ck
    There has been a lot of talk about lag lately with the surging player counts from lock downs across the world, but for the past month just about nothing has been done about it in the lobby. Countless staff members refuse to acknowledge the ping spikes and unplayable scenarios because they are time and time again just sitting still in the lobby or doing parkour. If OITC and HC are going to be in the lobby then there needs to be a fix for the lag. I got on today, May 7th 2020, and there were about 200 players on in total on JnH, a lot of them being afk on farmking and factions, but still around 3 tabs of players in the lobby. I played a couple ranked OITC games and it was unplayable. I tried to just even 1v1 @LunarNova to see if it would be any better and here is what came of it.

After you watch, you can see that there is no lag from my PC as I stay above 500 FPS and my highest ping spike was to 48ms. This is the only game I took the time to take clips from to post, but every other game that I played today was just as bad or worse. And it is not only today as many players have been complaining for the past month. I host tournaments that draw a lot of players online to OITC and it just turns into a lag fest. This was ONLY A 1v1! I played a 6 person game and the whole thing was just unplayable. Give OITC its own server or fix the lag. There's no reason this should even be a debate anymore. There are obviously times during the day where the lag isn't as brutal, but why should there be any lag when there are barely 200 players on Network-wide???

2. Trevor

Trevor Donator

this is not only oitc, but parkour. I have experienced very bad lag trying to speed run some parkour, and I get lagged back every half second and I couldn't even play. this is such a big problem that they NEED to fix.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    witchchick128, Tutis and Du_ck like this.
  3. thesaber903

thesaber903 Mabelen / Editor Donator

HC has also been lagging as well, from my experiences I got to a point where I couldn't play the game with my friend (we were 1v1ing each other), it may be just me but it's not just OITC like Trevor said

EDIT: It also happened earlier today

witchchick128 and Du_ck like this.
  4. Username

Username Donator

I don't think it's his own connection that's the problem. When this happens almost everyone in the lobby is affected. Here's a screenshot of one of the times it happened yesterday where everyone's ping sky-rocketed:
    upload_2020-5-7_14-16-45.png

5. Tutis

Tutis

Minecraft:
    tutis
    yeah i was joking sorry if you took it serious!

Username likes this.
  6. Kaiisawesome95

Kaiisawesome95 Donator

Minecraft:
    Kaiisawesome95
    thank you for finally being the one to make a forum post about this, its been pissing me off since the reset of oitc and its unbelieveable that people are unable to see this as it is SO apparent if you join a game of spleef, oitc, hc, and even parkour sometimes. and its one of my main excuses to not play oitc as its not even fun to play, just aggravating and unnecessary.

zoom, Trevor and Du_ck like this.
  7. zoom

zoom

+1

Du_ck likes this.
  8. LunarNova

LunarNova P̷̰̅I̵̺̅Ń̴͍K̷̞̈́ ̵̼̂W̵̗͑Ḭ̸͘T̸̺̓C̵̺̕H̸̱́ Donator

Minecraft:
    LunarNova
    It's been like this for over a month and it still hasn't been looked into. Even with 200 players the server lags. Wtf is this?

Du_ck and Trevor like this.
  9. Smg

Smg Retired | Also known as 'Phaithful' Donator

Minecraft:
    Phaithful_
    I can't say anything about the lag, but no one should be mad if a simple staff member, ranked Helper-Mod+ at least, doesn't or can't come up with an answer for this problem. Trust me, coming from experience (and I'm not bashing the way they handle these things because staff members don't need to know this sort of info in the first place), these guys and gals have no say in these typical things and are, more often than not, as out of the loop as we all are as regular players, because it pertains to a more server-sided issue that only the owners are really fit to look at/fix.

Du_ck and Username like this.
  10. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    Actually, it's been looked into repeatedly. We've made multiple efforts to address the lag issues (and you were aware of this because I asked multiple of you repeatedly if it continued). The biggest problem here is that it happens in such short increments that it's hard to actually see what's going on. We've tried tweaks to the spigot itself, we've tried changes to our anticheat thinking that might be the issue, we updated /pocketgames to address some lag it was causing, we tried slowing down spleef round resets to prevent block lighting updates from generating lag.

It's really, really difficult to address a lag issue that we aren't experiencing and can't profile because it's not at all consistent. Since the spleef update, we hadn't heard anyone talking about it, so we thought maybe we got it right. Multiple of you have me on discord, it's not hard to contact me or make a post and comment about it still happening.

Factions, where the majority of the players online are, does not have these issues. So it's not a network issue or lag caused by the amount of players online. I'm really not sure what else could possibly cause it. Until JH have enough free time to sit in OITC all day and profile the hitches, I don't know how to address this.

Du_ck and Username like this.
  11. jellymoon

jellymoon :D Donator

Minecraft:
    jellymoon
    yea, unfortunately, it's still here. Just spectated a game and its legit a stop motion film

Trevor likes this.
  12. Du_ck

Minecraft:
    Gornk / Du_ck
    I love you. I know all that you have done but I'm almost 100% certain that if JH care at all, they would have done something to increase the RAM or whatever it is to make it so the server can handle more. This lag that I am addressing in this thread is the exact same that has been a problem for the past month, you did a lot to fix the lag just over a month ago and I am really appreciative of that. I have a suggestion/idea, try to ask JH if they can come on Saturday at 4pm EST and watch our OITC tourney. They will 100% see this lag that I am displaying and can even play a game for themselves and experience it. It would be very easy to show what we deal with. That goes for anyone that wants to experience what I am trying to describe in this thread. Saturday at 4pm EST, the lag will happen.

LunarNova likes this.
  13. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    We definitely care and we have tried many things. Who do you think is the one coding those optimizations Ezzerland mentioned?

Increasing RAM does absolutely nothing as has been said many times before. Can't believe people still don't get this in 2020. dedotated wam

14. Du_ck

Minecraft:
    Gornk / Du_ck
    I know nothing about RAM and shit so you got me there, but how tf can OITC run so poorly with less than 250 players network-wide? I will stop talking and allow you to do as you may. I speak for the whole of OITC- We have been left in the dark about why this is happening for the last month and running the tournaments has been a huge hit, but we have less fun because of the lag. So, thank you for responding, I understand a little more now, and I'm sorry for calling you out. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you out with in terms of testing lag and trying out different things. But defo come on Saturday to see all the lag, it's gon be nuts.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  15. 00000000000

00000000000 Donator

I truly appreciate that you're trying. Keep up the great work!

Username likes this.
  16. Trevor

Trevor Donator

this lag is honestly unbelievable. I just recorded 2 clips of me stepping on the launch pad, and a full 20 seconds later it activated. I go to play parkour, I stay in the water for 10 seconds. when I got back to the spawn, I tried a couple jumps. lagged me back and forth, and still added time. unplayable.

rosellavio and Du_ck like this.
  17. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    Check again if there's lag today at peak time

Trevor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.