Internet along Introversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Soap, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Soap

Soap Donator

Minecraft:
    soapC
    It's no secret that the internet can create inclusive personalities.

An example of this? A 5-year-old kid receives their first iPhone and immediately downloads a brigade of attractive games. They play these games so much, that they lose interest in face to face interaction as they would much rather keep themselves busy on their personal screens. Eventually, this will lead them to a whole decade of introversion, keeping themselves socially distanced.

^ That is what most people outside this generation, born without screens, would mention. But never seem to recognize the other side of things.

The internet as a whole inhabits and helps develop those people who are too afraid to socialize or are otherwise shy to interact in person. How? Well isn't it obvious? If you're here... you probably already know. Online communities (some very similar to J&H), have a common attraction to those people who don't like to socialize in person.

The Key: It is MUCH easier to socialize online than it is to in person. It is MUCH easier to find friends online than it is to in person.

We grew up playing these online games our whole childhood - and now people are bringing the people who play them together through online communities and hubs. This immediately sparks interaction through people who play these games (coincidentally, most of them are socially distanced). This can affect many things... most importantly help develop social skills into those who play as it's easier to do so where they stand.

In conclusion, if you've ever played an online game; it's very likely you've met a friend or two. This, among others, can show how the internet can boost social interaction more than most people would think.

2. Soso

Soso cringe Donator

Minecraft:
    SosoTheOrange
    OK

dinoceros and Soap like this.
  3. Soap

Soap Donator

Minecraft:
    soapC
    Despite me taking 20 minutes to write this I had a good laugh
    ty

Soso likes this.
  4. House

House Supreme Donator

Minecraft:
    HouseX
    I mean, I do agree with the points you make, but it is also true that sometimes, especially for younger teens it is hard to balance both internet "life" and real-life. Speaking for myself anyway, it was either I came home and played online (on J&H for example) OR I stayed outside. Now that I have grown up, I am able to distance myself from both and have a regular amount of both interactions, be it online or irl. However I do see so many young kids just playing on their screens and fucking up a big part of their childhood, also because not all games are online, and not all of them create communities like Minecraft does, and they can just make a kid even more introverted.
    Also, I say "fucking up", but I don't really mean it, because it just means they'll have different views on life, etc etc.. To me it's just sad that they won't get to play outside as much, meet new people and develop social skills talking to actual people.

Soap and Pugnata like this.
  5. Netherr

Netherr Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Netherlasting/Netherr
    I agree with you on this. The internet can provide people a space to develop themselves and socialize as it is easier to interact with people over a screen rather than in person.

However, I believe that there's a limit to how good it can be. It is possible that a person becomes so invested to the persona (s)he has created on the internet that the said person forgets about their real-life and ends up prioritizing their online life. This investment can manifest its way in may forms. Some examples include acting how they would act on the internet in real-life, or denying all interactions in person over interactions over the internet. In some severe scenarios, some people even think that this persona they have on the internet is who they are. This especially becomes a problem once the person's online persona gets damaged or broken. This leaves the person without an identity and is ultimately left in shambles with nowhere to run.

Too much of a certain thing can be bad, I believe my example lives up to this statement. And as obvious as it sounds, the fix to this is balance. Problem with that is it is not always as easy as it sounds as introversion can always hinder oneself from reaching out.

Soap and House like this.