Difficulty Scaling - Need Help

Discussion in 'Parkour' started by Heatdude Da Waffle, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Heatdude Da Waffle

Heatdude Da Waffle Admin | Builds Things Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Heatdude
    Hey, y'all! Again!

Second post about parkour in 1 day, crazy! Anyway, to the point. This one isn't about a change, more-so I'm interested in scaling the difficulty of maps. Yeah, we have them sorted into Easy Medium and Hard, but I feel like sometimes maps blur the lines, and also sometimes maps are maybe even in the wrong category. I was interested in how parkour players would sort all the maps (non-mega bc it's not sorted by difficulty) on a 1-5 scale, with 1 being easiest and 5 being the hardest maps. They don't need to be in order in those categories unless you really want to, just mainly curious how players scale them. Oh, and to be clear, difficulty based on completion, not for a top time.
    I guess that's a lot of work, so if you want to make it easier just say that by default all Easy=1, Medium=3, and Hard=5, then just say which Easy maps should be moved from 1 to 2, which Medium from 3 to 2 or 3 to 4, and which Hard from 5 to 4 (or any other bigger moves you see fit).
    That's all, thanks!

2. Trevor

Trevor Donator

now that I've played volcano, it could be in easy and although it does have a lot of 4 block jumps, normal parkour players can use momentum to make them. it's a 3
    there's nothing that would put maze in hard if the jumps by the octopus(whatever you wanna call it) didn't exist.
    I agree with @Barik on all of his rankings, especially ender lair. that map is long and has a few tricky jumps

MetroBust and Username like this.
  3. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    i've followed your list for the new parkour revamp

if you want you can also make a list for how fast 3 star times should be for each map =)

i just used some funky math stuff to set the current times cause i didn't feel like actually going through 73 maps.

imo 3 stars should be if you do the map without any shortcuts basically without failing/stopping. there should be some buffer to account for lag or minor stoppages

2 stars is currently just 3 star time divided by 0.6

1 star is any time