Rant: Autistic people aren't stupid

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by vipa, Jun 26, 2015.

1. vipa

vipa the hornace of death Donator

It really pisses me off when someone thinks autistic people are stupid. When a person wants to insult someone else, they call them autistic, and it makes my blood boil. Autistic people aren't stupid. They don't deserve to be sectioned off from the rest of the human race with them being labelled as vermin or a disease. I got into an argument with someone in factions, the other person though that autistic people are extremely stupid and they should die, and that they are spreading, he just straightforward pissed me off, calling random people autistic because he didn't like them! I've seen in real life experiences people bullying autistic people thinking that they are inferior in every way and think that they deserve to be pushed around! I work with the CAS club at my school and I've seen their potential, they have the ability to focus on ONE thing more than a normal person, there even has been an affected person memorizing the entire New York skyline and drawing the panorama with exact detail! Autistic people are human beings and deserve to be treated equally. I just want to strangle anyone who thinks them as stupid people. If you are reading this, please don't call someone autistic or retarded. Also, I just wanted to get this off my chest. This was the only place where I could rant. I'm sorry if anyone is annoyed.

2. LaColeman

LaColeman Leaving (INAL)

Minecraft:
    LaColeman/SeahawksFan12
    I'm going to say this, nearly nobody knows this about me and I understand how I will be mocked for saying this, but I have Aspergers Syndrome which is considered an autistic disorder. Aspergers is not an intellectual disorder, that is one thing to keep in mind. The problem is I have been utterly mocked by so many people because of it I can't stand sharing it. I have not wanted to share what I have for a long time due to people being dumb about it. One thing to know, I am not stupid. Sure, I can be Naive and Ignorant at times but being Naive and being dumb are two completely different things. Naive has to do more with your Wisdom and dumb/stupid has to do more with your intelligence. One thing to keep in mind is look at how many successful people have Aspergers. Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Michael Jackson (Though dead now), Jim Henson (Also dead), and even some of the greatest presidents of the US had it. It doesn't make me or them stupid in anyway, a lot of them turn out to be quite smart actually (Such as Albert Einstein and Bill Gates who's IQs are both 160).

I have no clue if I am smart or not due to the fact that I have never taken an IQ test before. I have been told by a few people that I was such as my parents, though I have no clue of wether or not that is true. One thing for sure, no Autism neither any Aspergers Syndrome makes anyone stupid.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2020
  3. Xandalf

Xandalf Donator

When people call others "Autistic" or "Retarded" I want to punch them in the face. Multiple times.

It's just so stupid to go around calling other people those kinds of things. Most of the people who use them as insults probably don't even know what they are!

If you try and tell them and try to get them to stop, they'll probably not listen to you and just call you retarded.

There are far too many children these days running around calling each other retarded. They're using that word because of us; Because of this generation. We're teaching them these words so they use them without even knowing what they mean.

4. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

Autistic people just have difficulty to talk, they aren't stupid at all

5. YoshiBlocksJHD

YoshiBlocksJHD Intermediate exorcist first class

Minecraft:
    ~Peeta
    For the record autistic people are freaking awesome.
    I have a kid at my school with autism and he memorized everyone at our school's birthdays.
    we have over 1,000 kids at our school. You tell him your birthday once, 2 years ago. If you ask him for it today he'll still remember.
    And hes great okay. He's super awesome and cool.
    Autistic people aren't stupid. If anything, they're smarter than you.

6. Dest

Dest Mod+ | Twitch Streamer | Perler Beads Artist Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    Destination666
    My sister used to call me a 'mogool' everyday (Dutch swear word to make fun of people with the Down Syndrome). I don't have the syndrome, but then again: She makes fun of me everyday, just because she hates me (yes, she does. A lot of stuff happened).

I know how it feels. People shouldn't be called stupid at all. Never.

SinisterBucky likes this.
  7. jerkboy2006

jerkboy2006 Lord of the slimes. c:

Wow.
    That is just.. wow.
    PEOPLE CAN'T HELP IT IF THEY ARE AUTISTIC, THEY WERE BORN THAT WAY FOR HEAVEN SAKES.
    All you people that aren't autistic should feel bad for other autistic people, and try helping them, if a person is autistic, that doesn't mean they aren't human, they have feelings just like us. And autistic people can do more then you think, they can do anything they want, just because they have a mental problem doesn't mean that prevents them from doing everything.

8. YoshcraftMLG

YoshcraftMLG E.T Sniper~ Actual Sandwich

Minecraft:
    Ezou
    Yeah and if you tell him your year month and birth day, he can tell you what day you were born on. He is a super genius.

Yeah, autistic people are fucking amazing. we should have a movement like the gay rights movement, except treating people with mental disorders how they deserve to be treated. Of course it won't change the way the online community treats autistic people but it will make a change in our world. That, would be fucking amazing.

SinisterBucky and vipa like this.
  9. ShaunPoppy830

ShaunPoppy830 Used To Be Poppy830 Donator

Minecraft:
    ShaunPoppy830
    I don't have anything like that where I was born with autism, but I get really really mad at people when they do things, because I get made fun of a lot, so I get frustrated A LOT.

10. Miner

Miner Retired 5-Year Veteran Donator

Here's further proof.
    Not to brag, but there are 2 gifted groups in my district, and I'm in one of them. Not the higher one tho :P
    We have an autistic kid in there, who gets really good grades and knows so much about Social Studies. Hell, I didn't even notice he was autistic until mid-way into APRIL.

Peeps need to calm down and respect.

11. NoahMC

NoahMC

Minecraft:
    Nnoah
    My brother has aspbergers and hes one of the most intelligent 6 year olds I have ever seen. My mom and dad used to call me smarter than normal and all that back then, but I dont deserve it as much as he does. He struggles with communicating to others, with thingsl ike sharing, kindness, and more, but his intelligence sparks throught the roof.

He memorized every single 365 days of this year AND of next year. Do the math and that is a total of a whopping 730 days memorized. We even have videos of us trying out his abilities, and it works. You literally have to just ask him something like "What day is September 16?" and pull out a calendar and he'll actually provide you with the correct day of the week every single time. Its amazing and unreal that a person at that age can do something so amazing and memorize that.

(This next one may sound a little strange but it is true and its amazing)
    My brother takes the schedules of shows that are on the television, copies them down on a piece of paper, then recites them by heart. You could ask him something like whats the schedule for nickelodeon and hed list it show by show.

Autistic and aspberger's have some of the most gifted people in the world. Calling them stupid is like saying that water isnt wet.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  12. LaColeman

LaColeman Leaving (INAL)

Minecraft:
    LaColeman/SeahawksFan12
    No, it's actually not a disease or even close to it. It's more of a disorder if anything really. :P

13. NoahMC

NoahMC

Minecraft:
    Nnoah
    Typo. Removed it.

LaColeman likes this.
  14. SinisterBucky

SinisterBucky Exemplary Gaming Co-Founder and GM Donator

Minecraft:
    _Bucky
    Yes, I'd like to contribute to this conversation. Thank you all for taking a stance against discriminatory insults to autistic people. I am diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism, so I feel comfortable in this community that is combatting insensitivity within.

Part of the problem with the insults is that people act like there is one type of Autism. Actually, there's Asperger's, HFA, Regular Autism (what most people probably refer to in their remarks) and other disorders that I don't know the names of. Yes, people like us have speech impediment, but I would like to explain how it works.

Think about our social awareness in comparison to "normal" people as manual to automatic. For most "normal" people, proper social norms/customs/behaviors come naturally. If you have an ASD, these things do not come intuitively. You have to learn them, and whenever you make a mistake in behavior, you generally don't know that you did. We have to manually learn the behaviors. My point with this is that although we do not begin with these social skills, we can learn them, meaning that we have no reason to be called stupid. Please remember too, that even Regular Autistics have the same learning capabilities as HFA and Asperger's people. We are all different and the same.

Please note that I put "normal" in quotations as a placeholder with lack of better word; no one is normal because everyone is unique.

Also, I'd like to note that we Autistics involuntarily trade in that high so-called Emotional Quotient/Verbal quotient that normal people have for an elevated Intelligence Quotient due to our apparently high memory capacity.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope I cleared some things up.

vipa and LaColeman like this.
  15. gibbson3

gibbson3 Legend l Gibby

Minecraft:
    KoolKiwi187
    Why would they be stupid???????

246524.png.pagespeed.ce.O5jPdx0GM8.png

16. FabuJJ

FabuJJ <3 JJ Donator

Minecraft:
    FabuJJ
    I would like to say something

At my school a girl has Aspergers syndrome ( a social development disorder) and this girl over oovoo called her ugly and a prick and some many nasty things and me so angry. Seriously, Seriously your going to hurt somebody with Aspergers syndrome and it may make them worse better think twice.

Another story: An Autistic girl wanted to be in the school talent show and her friend wouldn't go on with her and she started crying... Two teachers went onstage with her and did it. This Warmed my heart.

End Things On a funny Story: A girl said her brother was autistic and everyone else was saying there siblings where autistic... They thought she said artistic!

Personal Story: I have bad anxiety issues and bad emotional problems and i'm always Paranoid idk what to do...

Slothh, SinisterBucky and vipa like this.
  17. Computech88

Computech88 Universal TS3'er

Minecraft:
    Computek
    Stephen Hawking

Bill Gates

Isaac Newton

Albert Einstein

Mozart

What do they all have in common? They're all autistic. They are geniuses and billionaires. Autistic people need to make a comeback. They are not stupid. Having autism and being a total genius are two different things in context. But they are similar in meaning.

SinisterBucky and vipa like this.
  18. PastelSky

PastelSky ☁ ☼ ☁

Minecraft:
    PastelSky
    none of those people are autistic lmao

i understand the point that you're trying to make, that autistic people can be extremely successful regardless of their condition
    but
    pls dont just say that

19. Mcc457

Mcc457 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Minecraft:
    PentilexBros
    ...Stephen Hawking doesn't have autism...

PastelSky likes this.
  20. LaColeman

LaColeman Leaving (INAL)

Minecraft:
    LaColeman/SeahawksFan12
    Wrong:
    http://www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/people.htm
    Albert Einstein had it and Bill Gates has it as well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015