Parkland Shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Stolas, Feb 14, 2018.

1. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    The militia being well regulated is the first part. The amendment states the right to bare arms shall not be infringed IF it is well regulated AND is by means of self defense.

SCOTUS has ruled that individuals have the right to possess fire arms.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/second_amendment
    However, SCOTUS has only ruled that the government cannot take away guns. The court also suggested that laws preventing criminals or mentally ill people are allowed under the constitution. SCOTUS has never said that guns. cannot be regulated.

Bad parenting? He's 18. His parents couldn't stop him if they wanted to. You have no proof that shows the parents are at fault.

To say that there is nothing that we can do is false. Period. The US has the ability to change it's laws, and even the constitution. To argue that we need to wait for this trend to "die out" is absurd and dangerous.
    I'm not saying ban guns. I have no issue with the idea of concealed carry.
    What I am saying is that SOMETHING should be done to stop mass shootings of innocent lives from happening. We have taken action on so many things that claim lives, why can't we do the same for guns?

This may not apply to you, but for a party so focused on being pro-life the GOP sure seems to have no problem letting innocent people die.

ItsJerry likes this.
  2. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    [​IMG]

Better keep thinking & praying and the issue will surely solve itself.

Meanwhile every time a shooting is committed by a muslim, the right can't wait to push their anti-immigrant agendas.

It would definitely be hard considering they're both dead

3. ANumber2Pencil

ANumber2Pencil Resigned ______________________________________ Donator

Minecraft:
    ANumber2Pencil
    Its funny how the American Government is supposed to be a democracy, controlled by the people, yet issues like Gun Control kind of prove its more or less controlled by money. While gun control is definitely a divided political topic, there are some regulations/laws both parties actually agree on, and despite this the Republican Party in government keeps on turning down these ideas. For example,

- 89% of Democrats and 89% of Republican citizens agree that laws should be in place to prevent mentally ill people from buying weapons. Of course Obama passed an executive order to do just that, and Trump quickly revokes it. And Trump probably only revoked the law because it had Obama's name on it.

- Another instance, 85% of Democrats and 82% of republican citizens agree on laws baring suspected terrorist, on the no fly list, from purchasing guns. And despite this the republicans in congress have shut down this proposed bill multiple times in recent years.

There are plenty of other examples found in the polling results in the link below.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...sals-stark-partisan-divisions-on-many-others/

ItsJerry, ItsHarry and PhantomStar like this.
  4. Joeyy

Joeyy Silly Goose of the year 2022 Donator

Minecraft:
    jeowee
    Is there any point of praying for victims? Like the magic man up in the clouds is going to do anything about guns.

It's an awful thing, but still people will defend the certain gun rules of the US. They 100% need to be made less lenient.

For most of the modern world now, it's just a 3 step thing:
    1. "Oh, another one."
    2. "USA."
    3. *Post sad tweet*

People sending tweets out praying will do nothing, only people bringing this to congress will spark any hope of change.

ItsJerry, Ryva and PhantomStar like this.
  5. ANumber2Pencil

ANumber2Pencil Resigned ______________________________________ Donator

Minecraft:
    ANumber2Pencil
    Just going to write this reply real quick responding to the most common arguments from Republicans and those against gun control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Argument: "Its unconstitutional to ban guns! The Second amendment says so!"

Response: First off, no major politician is trying to ban every single gun from america. This isn't a debate about banning guns, its a debate about gun control. There is a difference. Also the second amendment is very vague, and it is still constitutional to ban certain kinds of guns, such as assault riffles. There have already been cases like this in the past, like the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986, which bans citizens from buying/owning all newly made fully automatic weapons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Argument: "Gun's don't kill people, People kill people! Mental Illness it the issue."

Response: European countries have similar levels of mental illness to the US, however, they have much stricter gun control laws, and a lot lower yearly murder rates.

Yearly murder rates per 100,000 inhabitants:
    US - 4.88
    France - 1.58
    UK - 0.92
    Germany - 0.85
    Italy - 0.78
    Spain - 0.66
    Ireland - 0.65
    Netherlands - 0.61

Argument: "Stop politicizing a tragedy to push your agenda!"

Response: I actually already gave a response to this earlier, but this is something republicans do to after every islamic terrorist attack. Here is proof of Trump doing this exact thing just last week on twitter.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.54.04 PM.png

MC_Scout, Emma, ItsJerry and 4 others like this.
  6. CaptainJackValdy

CaptainJackValdy I got a plan to save the server, just have faith

Minecraft:
    CaptainJackValdy
    Is the fact that getting a gun in US is easier than getting a driver’s license true or just a stupid stereotype?

ItsJerry, MC_Scout and PhantomStar like this.
  7. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    If you can go out of your way to boast on social media about how sorry and emo you are about people dying then actually fucking do something about it. Instead of petty arguing over a Minecraft forum about stupid shit go donate blood.

Emma, Stolas and Senchies like this.
  8. ZeusV

ZeusV Former Moderator Donator

Minecraft:
    ZeusV
    I hope all the families are safe and all of Florida.

9. motocicletar1

motocicletar1 Helper+ | Biker Donator

Minecraft:
    motocicletar1
    What I have read below that, "If somebody is adjudicated mentally defective or has been committed to a mental institution, he is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law."

It also stated that he passed a criminal background check. "With no criminal record, Cruz cleared an instant background check via the FBI criminal database."

I believe that because of no prior criminal background history they did not A.) Look into the state of his mental health at the time of the check. Or B.) Sold the firearm to him even though he had a mentally ill background. Could be he was never diagnosed with a mental illness on paper. Who knows. All we know is that it shouldn't have happened and this is the result. 17 kids dead.

First, "he moved in with a friend’s family around Thanksgiving, the family’s lawyer, Jim Lewis, told AP. The family was aware of the rifle and made him keep it locked in a cabinet, but he had a key, he said." "Photos posted in an Instagram account linked to Cruz show a half-dozen weapons displayed on a mattress and a box of ammunition."

This is bad parenting. They knew he had the firearm and let him keep it. I know that the majority of 18-year-olds who still live at home could only be given access to their own firearms when asked. They let him take photos of guns on his Instagram showing them off like an idiot not telling him and getting it into his head that this is wrong.

You cannot change the constitution. You can add amendments to override past amendments. And even then it has only been done once with the 21st amendment for the end of prohibition. Now laws can be changed but this won't help any. I am not saying to wait for the trend to end I am saying that it will, in fact, die out.

If you do not know when or wear the mass shootings are going to happen how can you get a chance to stop them by only changing gun laws? From my standpoint, it seems like you want to change the second amendment. And that's not whats right.

Senchies and Soupbased like this.
  10. Soupbased

Soupbased Donator

Minecraft:
    Soupbased
    My condolences to the families affected by the shooting. To think that 17 people around my age lost their lives within a few moments is so sad to hear. I can only imagine the grief the parents, family, community, state, and my country are going through.

I saw a few pictures online about the shooting, and one caught my eye. It was a woman, presumably a parent, filled with tears and bearing a distinct mark on her head.

Her Lenten ashes.

These ashes signified her faith as a Christian/Catholic and marked the start of the season of Lent. Lent focuses on the 40 days Jesus had to endure in the desert, and we Catholics practice prayer, fasting, and giving alms (helping the poor). It’s supposed to be a season of solemnity and deep-faith, but what faith could be left when your child is taken from you the first day of Lent? How could God take away your own child, your own flesh and blood, on the day we begin such a holy event and Valentine’s Day, the feast of St. Valentine.

Times like these are when faith is needed the most. When the world around us seems like an unforgiving, dark, and evil place, we need faith. It isn’t just a spiritual faith either, it’s the faith that the perpetrator will be brought to justice, and it’s the faith that brighter days are to come. While you may not think it’ll fix the problem, the families affected DO need your thoughts and prayers. Take some time to think about the victims and their loved ones, and hope/pray that they find healing and closure.

Here’s what the POTUS said about it.

vipa and KaiserVenom like this.
  11. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    It's hard to be a parent when you're dead. Both his parents are dead. Even if they were alive they have no legal authority over him. Zero.
    Blaming the parents is simply an invalid argument. Proper legislation would prevent whatever you want to call "bad parenting".
    It's one thing to have an ill-informed or ignorant opinion, it's another to be categorically false.
    An amendment literally means a change or altercation to the constitution.
    In the original constitution, Article I, US senators were selected by state legislatures. The 17th amendment changed it so the people directly voted in senators.

So yes it is entirely possible to change any amendment to the constitution, and the process is no different than any other amendment passed.

I don't know when and where. I do know how. Every mass shooting to my knowledge has been carried out with use of a semi-automatic assault rifle.
    Again nowhere do I say ban them. What I'm saying is that SOMETHING should be done to stop it from happening. I firmly believe that anyone who wants to purchase any sort of firearm should be subjected to scrutiny and through screening. I think anyone who wants to own a gun should be properly trained in how to safely use it. This is no different than driving a car.

nivels, safoya299, ItsJerry and 2 others like this.
  12. vipa

vipa the hornace of death Donator

If we're talking about more checks to obtain guns, then I'm onboard. However, if it's banning guns, then I'll be against it.

Smg likes this.
  13. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    "Don't politicize a tragedy" is an excuse only the right-wing uses to avoid talking about the issues.

What they're actually thinking is "I must dodge these questions or else the NRA will stop giving me money"

CaptainJackValdy, Emma and ItsJerry like this.
  14. PhantomStar

PhantomStar Zzzzz... Donator

Minecraft:
    StarlightFoxx
    23541341-5DB7-4A3B-8736-389308E4A58F.jpeg
    I’ll just leave this here I guess. This cartoon was made after the Las Vegas shooting, and since then there have been 18 more shootings- more than double seen in the picture.
    Colombine isn’t even the worst shooting known to the US anymore, and that’s regarded as a tragedy even today.
    If now isn’t the time for the government to take action, then when will it be? Never, I guess.
    Next shooting is unfortunately inevitable unless regulations are changed. Innocent children will die because no one in power spoke up.

15. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Hi.

The argument strike happens again to another one of my threads. PLEASE, only reply something related to the PARKLAND shooting, not any other shootings, as well as not creating a reason to start an argument.

I will lock the thread of such behavior continues.

16. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    if you don't want your threads to turn into a political discussion don't start it off with
    not the first time you start a controversial thread then wonder why there is a discussion

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  17. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    The problem with these types of discussions is that the majority don't know how to discuss things with an open mind. When we automatically assume that the other side is wrong because they don't agree with us... well that explains the problem in the United States. Black and white thinking, right/wrong... too bad life isn't that cut and dry. I honestly love having these conversations with kids and teenagers because it encourages critical thinking.

What I don't understand is how guns are known for killing. That's what they're made for. To kill. Animals, people, wtfe. Smoking is known to cause cancer, lung disease, death but for some reason it's okay. It's illegal to sell raw milk in many states because it might have the small chance of passing bacteria or disease. Things that are known to kill are legal but things that have the smallest chance, are illegal. What it boils down to is money. NRA pays government. Big tobacco pays government. Dairy board pays government. Sad thing is there is research on this and I'm not just pulling these things from my ass as an attempt to sway you. On the flip side, what are semi-automatic's used for? Hunting? Target practice? Either way, it's over kill.

Like I've said in many threads, I will not have guns in my house. I know how to load, shoot and clean them. I was raised in a military family. I also know I'm bat-shit crazy and I'm responsible enough to know that I shouldn't have them in my house. Not everyone has the self-awareness that I've worked really hard for.

I'm just wondering when the rest of the world will step up and play big brother and 'protect' the US from killing it's own citizens, like the US does with the rest of the world.

We all know you do this to stir drama. If you cannot handle the discussion, don't make the thread.

18. Joeyy

Joeyy Silly Goose of the year 2022 Donator

Minecraft:
    jeowee

This comes from the Vegas shooting, but still, this guy has everything spot on about mass shootings in America, worth a watch.

19. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Except, I'm not acting as a victim. I'm just sick of the bullshit that goes through all the threads that are to be taken seriously.

It's sad that you have to start pin-pointing what I said when the obvious topic is the Parkland shooting and sending prayers to the families of such people that didn't get to see their children get out of a school that they believed was safe.

It's incredibly unfortunate that this thread has gone to shit, really. Few people really understood what this thread was meant for, and since I am not allowed to lock it, i'll just let yourself figure out what you're doing wrong.

This is not something to point out, at all.

All of this is.

Also, I believe I did say this:

I made this thread because I cared about the victims, not because I care that Trump isn't doing anything, and it's THAT obvious that I wrote 1 sentence to show that it needs to be taken care of. There are many more words dedicated to those struggling.

Sorry it had to turn out this way. :frown:

20. Soupbased

Soupbased Donator

Minecraft:
    Soupbased
    Do you have a source on this? I see this number popping up everywhere and I want to know if it’s genuine or not.