Computer Assistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Contemptible, Mar 6, 2018.

?

Are you a computer wizard?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Sort of

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    This beginning message is for staff members; I am putting this thread here because it doesn't fall under "other games", nor does it belong in "off-topic", therefore it is best situated here. Please, do not relocate this thread.

Hello, I am coming to the community for a technological situation I am currently having with my PC. I need assistance because I am aware quite a few of you are PC Builders or even repairmen. Before I begin this, I must say that I know that this issue does not have to do with my GPU nor my CPU, but more than likely the motherboard or a component on it.

I will list my hardware(s) to be as specific as I possibly can:
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
    CPU: AMD FX-8150 (Water cooled, new thermal paste less than 1 month old)
    GPU: XFX R9 390 (Double dissipation, new thermal paste less than 3 days old)
    SSDs: Samsung EVO 860 500gb & Samsung EVO 850 256gb
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    Case fans: 5x 120mm fans (2000rpm)

Adding onto the hardwares, my case has positive air flow (air is not sucked into the case from any opening), and my PC is dust free at the moment.

Onto my issue; Recently (I'd say 6 months?) my PC has been shutting off and thus requiring me to flip the PSU switch off then on in order to reboot my PC. I am aware that overheating could be the issue, however my GPU runs at 74 degrees Celsius (165 Fahrenheit) under a full load while the fans speed is at about 50%, the avg. for my specific GPU is the high eighties under a full load. My CPU runs at 55 degrees Celsius under a full load, which is relatively cool. I cannot figure out why my PC has started doing this, someone told me to check my northbridge and see if that is over heating, but I'm not too sure.

What is your thoughts? What about solutions?

2. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    1. how often do you turn off your pc
    2. does the power button work properly
    3. otherwise the issue might be the PSU

3. Contemptible

Minecraft:
    --
    1. The computer is only on when I use it for school work, so tops 2hrs a day.
    2. Yep, everything is good.
    3. I've had the PC on for well over 18hrs constantly, the issue is when the computer takes a full load (That's what she said), for example playing a videogame that is demanding, it will shut off. Which is why I think it has to do with the motherboard, and not the PSU.

4. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    still gonna say it's the PSU

Ezzerland likes this.
  5. Saul1337

Saul1337

Just do some basic maintenance first.
    Clean it from dust, check all your cables, clean your PSU etc.

6. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    Does it not turn on by simply pressing the power button the PC?

Ezzerland likes this.
  7. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    If the answer to this question by Harry is "No, I have to turn off the power supply and then turn it back on" Jerry is correct, it's your PSU.

If the answer to this is "Yes, I can press power and it comes back on", then it's likely actually something small like needing to reseat your CPU (not seated correctly and therefore not cooling correctly under load).

Judging by what you've said so far, I'm going to agree with Jerry and say it's your PSU.

Sakujo and ItsJerry like this.
  8. Contemptible

Minecraft:
    --
    New PSU fixed the issue, thanks.

/c

Ezzerland and ItsJerry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.