college!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by safoya299, Mar 30, 2018.

1. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    I made another thread about the whole germany thingy but for those of you guys who are about to go into college/are thinking about it/are experiencing it
    can you please talk about your "journey" into it if you're in it rn and how you chose it and ultimately chose what you want to study? and also can you please talk about how you can combat parent pressure about what to study or where to study if you dealt with it?
    for those who are going into it can you talk about what you want to do and where you want to go and why?

sometimes i feel like i dont even want to go to college. i dont want to go to school anymore. i hate it a lot honestly. ive seriously contemplated dropping out sometimes. its not even that its hard for me. im literally a straight A student and im just skimming thru it. its just so fucking stressful and it takes such a toll. sometimes i deadass want to become a stripper no lie. like imagine.

but srsly tho i really want to pursue a music career. it's what im most passionate about but my parents' expectations just don't allow it. since i was younger ive been raised to basically one path and that's "becoming a doctor" and while i respect my parents' idea of how easy of a life that could set for me im not sure if im willing to pursue a career in something im not truly passionate about. it's really stressful for me now, especially since im nearing graduation and i have to start looking into my options. my parents want me to do some precollege programs and i dont rlly know if i even want them spending thousands of dollars on shit i really couldnt care less about. i like astronomy for example, but not enough as to where i want a career in it. it would be cool but as ive grown ive really seen what im truly passionate about and its rlly hard in the music industry as a whole and so i dont really know what to do with my life. im having a midlife crisis tbh

ive also thought about doing this thing where im just gonna work work work and save a lot of money and then travel a lot and then work work work and save and travel a lot and i guess that makes it hard to settle and its not the easiest lifestyle but travelling is so nice and idk its just a lot of options. i dont want college to be the only option. i mean it is the ideal option but idk.

opinions ?????

2. Ryva

Ryva Resigned Donator

hey i feel you. my grades are slipping (not failing thankfully but they are low) but i got aton of stuff to do tonight and tomorrow and saturday. i feel you, i dont want to go to college, but i want an education soooooo. my opinion will probably change once i get older though. not really sure

safoya299 likes this.
  3. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

I don't think dropping out is the best idea ever lol don't do it

safoya299 and retirednow like this.
  4. sebastiann

sebastiann Donator

i've never lived with my parents but i've always had the pressure from them to do something completely opposite of what i've chosen to do. pretty much everyone in my life has told me not to pursue a career in theatre and acting.
    i still am at a crossroads on doing it because i've always been the kid who's exceptionally smart. i've always had straight A's and a 4.0. i could've graduated early but chose not to. i love learning and pretty much every subject area. i feel like i'm not using my abilities to the best that i can. i'm not going into a field where i can use math or science. but i'm just not interested into going into STEM or whatever.
    i've always been interested in becoming a profiler in the fbi. i'm thinking about double majoring in college so i can have that extra background. i've also thought about joining the military but you know i'm trans. (this isn't the thread for that). i don't think that i have the physicality for the military and fbi. i'm literally under 5'0 and a 100 pounds.
    right now i'm going to be attending Cleveland State University and majoring in theatre (acting track). After attending csu for 1/2 years I'll most likely transfer to a school in NYC for theatre acting/directing. NYC is where I've wanted to live my entire life and acting is something I've been passionate about my entire life. Anything to do with the arts and entertainment is what I want to do. I haven't let anyone tell me to do otherwise because it's what makes me the most happy.
    i think that i will probably find out what else i'd like to pursue as i get older. i will do more to fulfill myself as i get older. i want to travel and do things.
    i would say do what is best for you. and i know that sounds cheesy but find your passion. like what makes you happy. it may stem from a hobby or extracurricular. it's solely up to you to make that desicion and it's okay if you don't know right now. you're going into junior year right? you can do your research on so many different fields. you have time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    safoya299 likes this.
  5. LizzieTheSober

LizzieTheSober a person who used to help :') Donator

Minecraft:
    waaaaahluigi
    well uh i need to start working harder that’s for sure, but i still have two more years till i’m off to college. I really want to do my junior year abroad (when i’m 20-21) somewhere in europe. Besides that i’m just sticking to colleges that I can get into in Virginia, since there is a decent amount of good colleges here (UVA, VT, JMU, etc.) For you I would just stick it out and go to college, it can really help you land a good job in the future to support you/your family. BUT if you want to follow the music path, I would recommend still going to college just incase the music career doesn’t take off, so you will have a backdrop and can still get a respectable job. I would only drop out of college if your music has really picked up and can be a suitable and stable career for you :’) good luck, dude!

safoya299 likes this.
  6. Magical

Magical . Donator

If you're stuck on deciding what to do first to start your career and future, I'd say to try and earn some (useful) experience.
    Experience is easy to collect and often underestimated. It also helps you decide what field you want to go in: Business, Medicine, Engineering, Arts, Law, etc. Do an internship, be a trainee - whatever. Trying things out doesn't hurt anyone.
    I'm not sure what you call it over there, but we have a thing called TAFE. If you want to get a certificate for something like being a builder, hair stylist or teaching, you should go there. It's a good way to prepare for a degree if you eventually head down that direction.
    Next thing I'd do while at school is volunteer. Get involved in a club. Having community involvement on your resume is great for employment and will be a competitive advantage when applying for a job.
    Next, I'd say get a start-up job. Work at McDonald's, Costco - anything. This will give you some money. A side job is great in learning how to save. Plus, it's proof on your resume that you have had exposure to the workplace environment: following rules, exposure to interacting with customers, respect, putting customers first, showing effort and passion.
    By the end of all this, you should have an idea of what you want to do.
    In my opinion, university/college is not really hard. I study and work on the side at the same time. Everyone has their preference in how to do things.
    You gotta find your balance.

safoya299 likes this.
  7. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    oh trust me i would never be allowed to aha
    its true that the dmv has some pretty good colleges that i would definitely apply to if i didnt want to get out the east coast so bad. the only colleges ive ever rlly considered are really prestigious ones that im not sure if im capable of or ones in cali because thats rlly just where i want to be.

@sebastiann ive visited manhattan a few times and unfortunately i don't like the scene because of all the commotion and how loud it is but i really do love the arts scene there and nyu is something ive looked into a few times but im still not so sure
    how are universities in australia? is the living scene easy? i am aware it can be pretty expensive to live down there tbh. are the schools expensive and was it hard for you to find work? ik its different since you've lived there but im just curious because its somewhere ive wanted to live since i was very little

LizzieTheSober likes this.
  8. Kaiiven

Kaiiven Donator

Minecraft:
    Kaiiven
    Ofc the UK system is different but I personally applied for multiple colleges and then when I was accepted into multiple ones, I selected which one I actually wanted to attend. Just pick the college that is best tailored to what you want to do.

With parent pressure, ignore them. You do you. It's not up to them.

sebastiann and safoya299 like this.
  9. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    what kind of music career do you have in mind?

sadly most "passions" are not very profitable unless you're really good

RulerofMobs, MC_Scout, Sakujo and 3 others like this.
  10. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    i want to be a singerrrr
    im just not sure how to branch out or publicize my music well

11. PopeUrbanII

PopeUrbanII deus vult Donator

Minecraft:
    ComradeMessiah
    I would stick with the path of becoming a doctor if I were you, pursuing a career in the creative arts is risky. You could always become a hygienist or a nurse and focus your free time on a side music career though.

safoya299 likes this.
  12. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    I wouldn't drop out unless you actually have something going that could make a living.

The chance of becoming a professional singer is very very low. It also doesn't really matter how good you are at singing if you don't get exposure or a good label. Also, you don't need a music degree to make music. Lots of musicians nowadays made music in their free time and got their breakthrough via the internet. You could make music in your free time while doing a study that does guarantee money. Just remember for every talented artist out there that's rich and famous, there are 1,000 others who never made it.

Yes, everyone wants to have a passion, but if it doesn't work out you'll end up in a trailer or working at McDonalds anyway. There's nothing glamorous about working a boring 9-to-5 job, but at least it's stable and offers a relatively comfortable lifestyle. Maybe becoming a doctor would become more interesting to you if you watched some shows that glamorized that lifestyle like they glamorize celebrities; some popular TV shows in a medicine environment like House, Grey's Anatomy or Scrubs. lol

Tbh there's nothing inherently bad about making money with your body besides potentially losing some dignity (subjective). A lot of people make tons of money solely because of how they look, like instagram models and fashion people.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  13. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    yeah i watch greys and it is interesting but likeeeeeweeeeee eeeeeEEE going to school for like another 12 yeasr wtf

TreeKillerMan and sebastiann like this.
  14. Magical

Magical . Donator

I know our high school system is easier than yours. Australian citizens can gets HECS help up to...90-something thousand $$ for university. I don't have to pay for my fees until I have a job after uni earning above average. Bits come out of my salary every year until I've paid. When I was applying for universities, I got into Bond University for Actuarial Science. However, the fees were over 100,000 $$ for just two years...So I settled with a different uni where the fees are about $30,000 for three years. I think Australia is a bit different to the US by the fact that people aged 14+ start working. Australian $ is cheap for Americans, so you'd be at an advantage there if you have some money before coming over here.
    While I was in school it took me years to find a job. At the time, I was living in a small town so there wasn't much of a window of opportunity. Since I've moved to a city, I've found a job straight away. The only problem (not even a problem tbh) is that I live close to nice beaches so I always want to escape and go on adventures...thanks to having a car.

safoya299 likes this.
  15. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    awe i love you thank you so much

Victorias likes this.
  16. Jclaire

Jclaire

Education is very important for you in future (and even now)! You don't have to give it up! Try to find something positive in studying , maybe you don't like doing homework assignments, but you're good at writing essays or other. Perhaps, you're happy when you see your college friends every day... Or you like one subjects more than other, so try to pay your attention on it and study it hardly.
    I was in the exact same situation... when I was student at university , honestly, I also didn't like it, but I tried to find the merits. And, clearly I've succeeded! Now I'm really happy with my job, I help lots of students, here you can check out what I do.

Sakujo, safoya299 and ItsHarry like this.
  17. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    thank you!!