Censorship

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Morcov, Jun 14, 2015.

?

Censorship: Yey or Neigh? *Read thread first*

Poll closed Jun 21, 2015.
  1. I am for Censorship

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I am against Censorship

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morcov

Morcov Furry|♥Zoroark♥|The everything man

Gentlemen(And ladies), I introduce a new idea. Now before I begin, I am asking you to please be open minded. Please don't go boasting your right to freedom of speech, as we have seen time and time again, it is limited.

So, Censorship. What is Censorship? Censorship, in short, is the idea of Censoring one's thoughts in public to avoid problems. e.i.Tyrany, bad reputation, drama, ect. So what if we brought censorship to our forums? What if we made it so a person would literally have to think before their post, or suffer the consequences. Some may argue that this is violating their human rights, but in reality, it aren't. And if it is, then your rights are kinda being violated already.

Think of it as this: You already get punished for harassing others and whatnot, but what if you were to get punished for talking harmfully(About someone else, the community, ect.) in public? Harmful comments are usually the source of flame wars, so if if we already make the logs and coal covered in water, what would happen to the flame wars? Kill the source, kill the problem.

Now before you go commenting and voting on the poll above, I want you to think for a second, and weight out the gains and losses with this idea:

Gains:
    -No more public Flame Wars
    -Less noticable Drama

Losses:
    -Unable to post how you truly feel in public
    -Must watch what you post

Once you come to a conclusion, share your ideas! I really want to hear what you guys think of Censorship.

MainHoe likes this.
  2. PresidentBacon

PresidentBacon Barry B. Benson

Flame wars and drama are already dealt with by staff.
    People are already able to post how they truly feel and if it violates the rules then staff censor it and therefore people must already think before they post.

So yeah basically this forum is already censored and I'm against it.

Miner, Joseph10003, Warden and 2 others like this.
  3. Gooby

Gooby ミCutie彡 Donator

I'm gonna sum up my thoughts in 2 words and a gif

fuck censorship
    [​IMG]

4. RockoR

RockoR new bagel

Minecraft:
    RockoR
    even if we had censorship some people *cough* would rebel and then like every other time someone rebelled the server would give in and revert it

rip

5. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    Things are always going to be the same. Hospitality is in the air, but so is hostility. Players have the choice on how they act toward another player, and the consequences are in their hands as well. Players choose to be hostile, we can leave it at that, however if it gets to a point where over half the server becomes this way, then I would agree with you. Until that point falls upon us, I will have to give my opinion that this won't be a great idea to add onto the server.

Someone can feel threatened or greatly offended by someone's post and that'll be discriminated regardless of how the post is, which will make the creator of the post shamed by the community until they are eventually forced into doing a full apology about something as minor as their opinion on a set of artists, musicians, or the honest truth of a player (mostly a thread containing "To Be Honest" material).

Example:
    Now, in this instant, "Whoever" will make a bee line to a staff member to have the thread deleted and "Creator" to be warned or possibly banned. This'll cause "Creator" to feel ashamed of his honesty and will make him want to leave the forums, either for an allotted time or permanently.

6. PyromancerMagic

PyromancerMagic Donator

He's talking about people saying things about someone behind their back in the lobby, or saying shit on someone's thread (for example, the "Hardcore Factions" section) that is just completely uncalled for. The stuff that usually slips under the radar.

I believe you two are quite familiar with such concepts...

Take, for instance, that last sentence. It is my public thought. It is my freedom of speech, and in no way inflicts with the rules. Something like that would easily be passed by, without a second thought. Would you really want that, or other such hostilities said to you? Well, maybe not you in particular...but a lot of people deal with this on a daily basis, and while they aren't important to some eyes, they are still human beings. They don't deserve it.

I support this.

PhantomStar, LaurentYuri and Morcov like this.
  7. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    Censorship is already being praticed, to an extent.
    Wait society has is something called unprotected speach. Unprotected speah is slander, Lilable, invasion of privacy, obscene material, ect.
    Censorship is the idea that a someone or something will try to block what you say.
    In a way most forums use censorship, its how a community is prevented from falling apart.
    To that I say this:
    image.jpg
    That prety much sums up my argument. Is censorship needed to an extent, yes. All the time? no.

8. PresidentBacon

PresidentBacon Barry B. Benson

Well how exactly do you go about censoring every little thing that slips under the radar from staff?

The current system works so much better. If something someone says offends you, you report it, and therefore people are free to say what they truly want, but must think about how the public will react to it and the consequences. That's much better than just not being able to say it at all, because a lot of things can get censored wrongly such as sarcasm and what not.

And I still stand by the fact that this place is already censored, maybe just not to the extreme that Perc seems to want.

9. Joseph10003

Joseph10003 hi. Donator

Minecraft:
    RetroJoey
    Censorship is already present on this server.

If censorship was enforced more on here, it would ruin the server/forums.

I completely disagree with this idea.

10. Saul1337

Saul1337

*** Is already censored.

11. NoahMC

NoahMC

Minecraft:
    Nnoah
  12. KrisKrikken

KrisKrikken

Yea because talking harmfully about someone else is very bad lol

Actually, reading your thread I have my personal thoughts about you, and if you want to hear them, I will tell you without being punished for it

This makes litterally no sense to me

We are not the government of the country called South Korea but then with another preposition (I am afraid to say the name ========> Censorship scares people)

THIS IS A MINECRAFT FORUM!!!!!!!

13. Miner

Miner Retired 5-Year Veteran Donator

Honestly, the only reason I have fun online is because there IS NO censorship. You have no idea how stressful it is when everyone judges you by what you say. Getting those words out is just heaven.
    As @KrisKrikken already said...
    It's a MINECRAFT forum. We don't need all this protection just because someone's feelings got hurt when someone called them fat.

KrisKrikken likes this.
  14. Morcov

Morcov Furry|♥Zoroark♥|The everything man

I'm just going to point this out because a lot of people use this to try to justify them doing whatever the fuck they want — Although it's a Minecraft forum, you are still interacting with real people(With Real Feelings! :eek:), take some consideration before you do stupid & annoying shit to someone else.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    PhantomStar and sebastiann like this.
  15. KrisKrikken

KrisKrikken

That's where the rules are for. If I harass you, I get punished.

Morcov likes this.
  16. ItsWilly

ItsWilly Ex Co-Owner Donator

Minecraft:
    MrDeathWilliam
    I don't agree with this sorry. Last thing I want to do is turn this place into a censorship.

We already have staff that manage things that are against the rules, let's not go any further. I'm now just going to lock this so this doesn't escalate more than it already is lmao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.