Australia’s bushfire crisis

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Magical, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Magical

Magical . Donator

Hey guys
    I’m going to keep this short as (surely) you’ve heard there have been some brutal fires impacting Australia’s southern/eastern states including New South Wales (NSW), Victoria (Vic) and South Australia (SA). I am unsure of the exact cause of these fires. From what I know this is the season when we usually experience fires. I have heard some fires (which may or may not be the significant ones) have been deliberately lit. Some blame the fires on our Prime Minister/Government/Funding and some blame it on climate change. Here are some quick facts and comparisons that can help explain the extent of damage these fires have done (as of making this thread).

Facts
    - At least 20 people have been confirmed dead
    - It is estimated that half a BILLION animals have died
    - At least 1,000 homes have been burnt down

Images (*may not be accurate)
    7F831BBC-43C4-473B-8BB9-923CC393A575.png
    3B5C3606-0A6C-434C-AE05-ED381579E43E.png

The Response
    The response to this tragedy has already been outstanding with much of the public getting on board with donations and volunteering. To name some notable acts that I know of:
    - Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have donated
    - Pink has donated
    - Rebel Wilson auctioned herself off to cook two people lunch at her house
    - The (Original) Wiggles have announced they will hold a charity concert to raise money
    - Celeste Barber has been raising money on Facebook (which has already surpassed $20 million)
    - Aussie tennis player Ash Barty announced any winnings from her Brisbane tournament would be donated
    - Other tennis players and tennis organisations have announced plans for donations including donating a certain amount for every ace made at the Australian Open, etc.
    - Many other fundraisers are operating

Why the post?
    1. If you need help
    . I want to connect with the Australian members of our community to let them know they are in our thoughts and that there are resources to get help if need. Many of these are listed here. Click on your state to see services that are available for your area. However, do not rely on this thread only. Reach out to friends and loved ones, keep an eye on the news on the television, listen to your local radio station or keep up to date on social media.

2. If you want to help (donate***) I understand many of you are children, but if you are unsure of how you or your family could assist with Australia’s emergency, I have listed some fundraisers below. The list includes fundraisers to help firefighters, affected families and animals by supplying items such as equipment, food, water and medical supplies:

The fundraiser that has been gaining attention:
    Celeste Barber’s (Aussie comedian) Facebook fundraiser

If you want to donate to local fire services directly:
    NSW
    VIC
    SA

Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund

Salvation Army

Emergency Fund for Wildlife (through Facebook): WIRES

GoFundMe for wildlife on Kangaroo Island (that have been significantly impacted by the fires)

I can totally understand if you can’t donate money, clothes or other items. It’s not expected either but if you are interested in that type of donation please feel free to use the links above.

3. Unable to donate? Send your love to your Australian mates in a comment on this thread.
    I would love to use this thread as a platform for us to send messages out there to the world for those affected and those we have lost.

Discuss. Express your thoughts on this situation as well: is climate change involved? Have you heard of a thing that someone or a group has done to help these communities? How do you feel about this crisis?

I am wishing the best for those affected by these fires and I thank you greatly on behalf of Australians if you have donated or helped in any way.

***I have asked staff for permission to post links to these donation pages. If these links need to be edited or deleted, please let me know and I will edit so that we don’t lose this thread

Memeh, Ezzerland, Smg and 4 others like this.
  2. wtfme

wtfme <3

Best of luck to everyone who is suffering from these fires! <3