Minecraft [Debate] Is Minecraft on its way out?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Yomc, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Yomc

Yomc ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Debate time.
    The gaming world has had games that sweep the Internet - specifically, multiplayer games. One only needs to look at legends like Starcraft and World of Warcraft to see the legacies that big multiplayer games have left. What else do these two games have in common? They're dying out. They were really big at a point, but they're no longer at that stage.
    Minecraft has been a massively popular game since around 2010 (too lazy to check official beta release). That makes it about 5 years old. It's certainly nearing the end of most other online games' lifespan. A game can only have so much novelty before it wears off.
    That being said, Minecraft has been an exception for... A while. It's had among the most purchases of any online game - somewhere around 22 million. It has YouTube communities and servers (very much like this one) purely dedicated to the game.
    Before we start talking about it, here are resources.
    Google Trends for "Minecraft": http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=minecraft
    Wikipedia article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft
    So, what do you guys think?

Personally, I think Minecraft won't be around much longer. Though it's had many purchases, the game has lost much of the sandbox novelty with which it had started. Add this on with the decrease in popularity of various Minecraft youtubers and Mojang's efforts to push people away from Minecraft and towards their other games, and you have a slow spiral into decreasing players. Which I don't think that the legacy Minecraft itself has left will be forgotten (especially not in future sandbox games), I do believe that it won't be as common in the near future.
    What do you guys think?

Ninjafoya and momand like this.
  2. Joseph10003

Joseph10003 hi. Donator

Minecraft:
    RetroJoey
    I don't necessarily think that it's about to die out. My own view on it is this. If we get bored with it, they will just make a new update to make Minecraft relevant again. I think the way Minecraft is set up is unique and that is because of the nature of it. Take GTA San Andreas for an example. It was massively popular, but when it became outdated and looked outdated and you were 100% complete with the story, it became boring. Minecraft is different though. Minecraft's storyline is technically limited, but you can choose to keep playing. Also, the graphics of Minecraft aren't bad, they just look pixelated (obviously). With Minecraft having the story, graphics, and freedom it has, I personally don't think it will die out in the near future. Plus, there are Minecraft updates about every year to keep the game fresh.

Owais136 and IAMINACTIVEBYE like this.
  3. teitan

teitan ‏‏‎ Donator

In my opinion, Minecraft died out a long time ago before it got massively... you know... extremely well-known.

It lost the special feeling to it.
    I don't know.

retirednow likes this.
  4. TheUndeadBrave

TheUndeadBrave Life's too short, make the most of it!

Minecraft:
    TheUndeadBrave
    Minecraft is the biggest game, if not one of the biggest games on YouTube today, it's company was bought by a much larger company that has the money to do big things with the game, and it's one of the highest selling games at least this century. It's not going to die out anytime soon in my opinion. People will continue to keep telling new people about Minecraft. Also I think there might be a Minecraft movie coming out sometime this decade.

Completion likes this.
  5. Netherr

Netherr Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Netherlasting/Netherr
    Pretty sure that almost everybody who has bought Minecraft and still plays it only plays on Multiplayer.

6. Harv

Harv Donator

no its not.. :D

7. Morcov

Morcov Furry|♥Zoroark♥|The everything man

I play Hardcore survival quite a bit(Ask @John_0696 & @Arthurr, they watched my stream yesterday on Teamspeak :P). In my opinion, At times it gets boring, but there is still that fun aspect on creativity, and a new challenge of not enchanting until you have Lapis. In reality, people just enjoy Minecraft multiplayer because they like Competition. I'm the opposite. Why should I have to share my resources in my world with someone else? Right now I'm goin to the doc's place. When I get back I'll edit an imgur link with my entire base on HCSP c:

8. Radii

Radii Donator

Minecraft:
    Radii
    Most people only play Minecraft still to be with their friends. Once leaving entirely becomes a trend, the game will become obsolete.

9. MisfittedCow

MisfittedCow X

Minecraft:
    MisfittedCow
    It's true minecraft may die out after a while but probably not in the next year or so.
    There's still millions of people who play on servers and such, I can't see it really dying out all that quickly.
    Maybe older people such as ourselves will move onto bigger things as we are growing older (some of us already graduated from high school) but there's the kids out there who are like 8 or 9 years old who only just discovered the game.

10. noah

noah Moderator Plus Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    left4lag
    I don't know about y'all, but I plan on either taking a long break, or just quitting Minecraft entirely. I want to grow as a person and do something with my life and I can't do that by wasting my time on Minecraft. So yes, I will be quitting / taking a break sometime in 2016. But for now, i'm gonna play my ass off ;)

11. Cally

Cally Back from The Dead Donator

Minecraft:
    CallyWasHere
    100% accurate

12. TheBlackHamood

TheBlackHamood Feel Pain, Accept Pain, Know Pain

Minecraft:
    twista_17 & _Hamood
    The game will die by the start of 2020
    It lost its' touch, a really long time ago it had the things, now it is....b-b-boring

13. Defectus

Defectus I love my wife Donator

Minecraft:
    Defectus
    Well then, guess what.
    False.

Denisvenom9 likes this.
  14. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

Like me.

No but seriously, who plays singleplayer anymore?

15. Unicorngirl470

Unicorngirl470 [Legend]

Minecraft:
    Derpy_Dana
    Minecraft FOREVER

16. TheDiamondPicks

TheDiamondPicks String.format("%d %s", 404, "Title not found") Donator

Minecraft:
    TheDiamondPicks
    It probably will die out soonish. I think the major thing Minecraft has going about it is the ability to use mods and essentially change the game. Think about the major Minecraft servers including this one now think of them as vanilla; not quite as good. As long as developers continue the development of forge, Spigot etc. Or Mojang releases a API then servers will probably stay strong. But singleplayer may die out. I can think of around 5 games off the top of my head that have a singleplayer feature similar to MC but none with multiplayer.

17. Rummi

Rummi Gooby and BlueJeans son | Karaoke God

Minecraft:
    Rummi
    I don't think MC is on its way out, it's just becoming less mainstream. Most likely it will transform back to what it was in the old days, when MC was a well-known game, just with a small community of players. Honestly the state of Minecraft right now has a demographic of a bajillion of young 8 year olds, and since there are so many, they are becoming the face of the game. I want to revert back to the old days when mature teens were the face of the game. And I don't think it will be long.

retirednow likes this.
  18. Snowwyy

Snowwyy Veteran member - Galladepow

Minecraft:
    GalladePow
    A lot of people like I do (sometimes) play singleplayer with mod packs, they can be really fun even if playing solo.

19. Defectus

Defectus I love my wife Donator

Minecraft:
    Defectus

dinoceros likes this.
  20. Miner

Miner Retired 5-Year Veteran Donator

Unless, of course, you're doing an Adventure map or something. c:

Giving my thoughts on this, I don't really see Minecraft dying. Sure, TF2 has had the same question, but I still see active players and large communities getting together. Heck, even smaller ones are still thriving. I honestly don't see it dying while DanTDM's still around.

EDIT: Wait, Minecraft was a FKN MOBILE GAME?!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Netherr likes this.