You like Huey Lewis & Ths News?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic / Spam / Memes' started by TreeKillerMan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. TreeKillerMan

TreeKillerMan shamone Donator

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    IMG_20181110_075038.jpg

You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

n00bhouse likes this.
  2. ItsJerry

ItsJerry DEAD SERVER!!! LMAO!!! Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsJerry
    this reads like a copypasta

3. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

4. Soap

Soap Donator

Minecraft:
    soapC

5. TreeKillerMan

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    Screenshot_20181114-155657.jpg

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

dinoceros and Soap like this.
  6. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

wrong.

-supper's ready
    -all of foxtrox
    -all of selling england by the pound

TreeKillerMan likes this.
  7. TreeKillerMan

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    of course
    the point of his character is to make yuppies seem the epitome of a mainstream conformist, shallow and only interested in whatever's popular or easy to understand for him. hence calling gabriel-era genesis "too artsy, too intellectual". selling england is objectively the best though

dinoceros likes this.
  8. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

I know, I get mildly offended when people talk bad of selling England by the pound regardless if it's a joke >:(

9. TreeKillerMan

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    In all honesty I found Foxtrot pretty weak, with the exception of a few moments. I think people just rate it higher than SEBTP because it has supper's ready on it lol

dinoceros likes this.
  10. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

It's a really good album and I frankly understand why it's so loved. Suppers Ready isn't the only reason for this. I think SEBTP is better tho

Other than that nursery cryme is probably my favorite cuz of musical box :>

TreeKillerMan likes this.
  11. TreeKillerMan

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    Musical Box is absolutely ideal prog rock, I always find it funny how Genesis mix their sound so much with tracks and still make albums beautifully cohesive. You've got the last two minutes of MB with that immensely aggressive "NOW NOW NOW" shit then straight to a quaint 2 minute English folk rock tune. Supper's Ready is absolutely majestic though, even if it is probably the longest prog song of that era

dinoceros likes this.