Why Am I Not Applying for Helper?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by kedio, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MeatBoy0

MeatBoy0 Donator

Minecraft:
    MeatBoy0
    What's with all the threads about staff like wtf who honestly cares this much. Just apply get staff and do whatever your told and boom resign.

Sofie, Emma, TheFlamingDragon and 4 others like this.
  2. Pugnata

Pugnata Pug the Pug Donator

Minecraft:
    Pugnata
    [​IMG]

Emma, TheFlamingDragon, ZeusV and 3 others like this.
  3. momand

momand ex-god Donator

i mean, hell, when i was accepted i thought i was pretty toxic/immature. and then i apparently became a decent staff member.

being staff isn't about maturity, it's about ability. yes, you have to be mature in order to perform, but really, a lot of immature people were accepted (myself included) and they are/were really good staff members. you don't need to be the most mature person in the world in order to handle being a staff member. you need to know when and how to act under a certain circumstance. that's what makes a good staff member a good staff member.

also, don't think of getting helper as if you're getting chosen by the gods to perform some godly task. think of it more as a volunteer job. you don't really get anything material out of it, like money or perks. the only thing you get out of it is the fun it is of being a staff member.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Emma, katlynn, Smg and 3 others like this.
  4. ZeusV

ZeusV Former Moderator Donator

Minecraft:
    ZeusV
    As I said in my one thread: http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/the-importance-of-staff.106837/, staff is about the potential and blah, blah, blah. It doesn't really matter about maturity, think of getting staff as getting a job in real life but you don't have wear a suit and tie, the best thing about staff is all the experiences.

kedio likes this.
  5. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    Not all staff are mature, hell they're always making jokes behind the scenes.

Good luck on applying if you do!

tence3000, Emma, momand and 4 others like this.
  6. stempunk

stempunk #1 Premium Donator

Minecraft:
    stempunk
    I applied for staff I did not get accepted.

7. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I really don't think you guys understand what maturity is, or what people mean when they say staff should be mature.

First it all, making jokes isn't immature. Let's just get that out of the way.

Secondly, staff do need to be very mature when it comes to handling problems and engaging with certain players. That, in other words, requires staff to control their feelings and stay calm in every situation, act wisely and be able to cooperate with other staff members. It also requires you to be able to put yourself in others' shoes when you solve certain situations. That way, you can help yourself stay neutral.

With all that in mind, you should know that an immature person would not be able to be a good staff member.

Just because you guys tell immature jokes and don't act as impressive and scary next to friends or other staff members doesn't mean you're immature.

Yes, not all staff members are mature, but that only shows that they are less capable of handling issues than mature staff members can.

retirednow, tence3000, Sofie and 3 others like this.
  8. momand

momand ex-god Donator

I do believe that a staff member needs to have some levels of maturity/common sense in order to perform decently. Most of being a staff member is simply using common sense, and especially knowing when and how to act; however, I'm not stating that we should have a staff member who is extremely immature in general. I'm simply stating that being immature as a staff member is fine.

Since we're talking about volunteering to help out a Minecraft server, I simply do not believe that we need the highest levels of maturity in order to verbally warn a player or execute a command properly. Yes, it takes maturity in order to do that and not abuse your powers, but if you were already accepted, there's a high chance you have that minimal amount of maturity already.

The OP stated they are immature because they are someone who "sleeps with stuffed animals every night, someone who is so sensitive it's unreal, and someone who isn't trusted with knives." I don't think this, in the long run, affects the person's ability to perform as a staff member.

I don't think that staff members have to be these (over-exaggerating a little) gods of maturity. Staff members don't have to be super mature 100% of the time. We all have our flaws. Hell, if everyone on the staff team was extremely serious 24/7, being a staff member would be boring.

tence3000 and safoya299 like this.
  9. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    Common sense is something that comes along with maturity, but it's more than just common sense that staff members should have. A good staff member can, for example, solve certain problems while still having all of the parties involved satisfied. It's not that easy and most people certainly can't do it.
    You make is sound like a very easy task but not everyone can do it. I'm sure you can think of many people who tried to get staff and never could. They could literally fuck up everything on the server - warn players without thinking enough before, act with bias, argue with people who know how to argue better than you... That's not the kind of staff this server need, and we've had them before.

You are indeed over-exaggerating. Nobody said staff members need to be maturity gods. However, as you said, they do need to be somewhat mature.
    Since we're using maturity as an abstract term, let's just define our scale of maturity from a troll on the server to a very good lawyer (EXAMPLE ONLY). Clearly, staff members aren't expected to behave like lawyers, they can have flaws, but if they can't stop themselves from acting like 12 year olds when they really shouldn't, they are bad staff members.

The reason you were accepted is because you had the maturity and capability to be a staff. This just proves the fact that staff do need to be mature.

I doubt there's any chance that the things people do in real life affect their chances of becoming a staff member.

retirednow and tence3000 like this.
  10. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    This ^^
    #rt

But on a serious note, this is being taken out of proportion. Being mature is not the only factor needed to be staff. Someone could excel as a staff member if they have a stronger trait.

But I've always thought what you said Andy, so agreed with that.

momand and ZeusV like this.
  11. ZeusV

ZeusV Former Moderator Donator

Minecraft:
    ZeusV
    Yes, I agree with what you said, the owners chose people who have a special trait or something they can bring to the server that others can't, but they can be a little immature like telling jokes or doing something funny on the server as long as it's not "too immature".

12. TheFlamingDragon

TheFlamingDragon Resigned, Former M.o.d Donator

Minecraft:
    TheFlamingDragon
    HAHA, You should've seen me before I got my staff rank. I was a complete retard/idiot/stupid idiot... Well I still am. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to always be "mature" if you're a staff member.

Look at my ign... "DissolvedPoop" now changing my name to this may have not been the best idea of my life, but I still did it for April Fools.

Once I did get staff though, my first 2 weeks I was a complete robot. Meaning I used PERFECT grammar 24/7. I felt that if I had a staff position I had to be presentable, which is true in some aspects.

If you're 13 and you're not "mature" enough, I still encourage you to apply. You never know what may happen. #makesuretousetheformat

tence3000 and ZeusV like this.
  13. Junjou

Junjou OITC Veteran [3 Years] Donator

Minecraft:
    Junjou
    I think some things you also need to understand is that some people have internal issues going on in their personal life. Sometimes that can leak into how you behave online and any good person can see right through it. If you're having issues of any sort like that and you don't know how to control them, give it time. It may seem hard, but at some point, you're going to have to battle your internal struggles. Once it's resolved, not only will it help you overall, but it can mean the difference between becoming staff in the future or not.