Unofficial Proper Thread Etiquette

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by SLVSHPANDA, Mar 15, 2014.

1. SLVSHPANDA

SLVSHPANDA Custom Title Donator

Minecraft:
    DiviXion
    Hello there. I am here to create a thread about the unofficial proper thread etiquette because it seems that the spike of useless and repetitive threads is growing. Here is a small summary of my whole thread here:
    1. Short and simple titles​
    2. Proper grammar & English​
    3. Paragraphs​
    4. Detail​
    5. Repetitive threads​
    6. Closure​
    7. The thread itself​

Short and simple titles
    This is very basic. You only need short and simple titles instead of really long ones. There is no reason of why you even need a really long and pointless title in the first place. Try to also watch for extremely difficult words. I suggest you shouldn't really put difficult words in but as long as it's understandable to most of the community and the thread kind of gives away what it is, then it's okay.
    Here are some example of okay words:
    - Etiquette
    - Entice
    - Polarise (Polarize)

Now with the actual titles, here are some titles you should and shouldn't use while making a thread:
    1. How to properly program a computer - Programming a computer
    2. The correct way to boot up your 10 year old laptop - Booting up a 10 yo laptop
    3. My question is why is Survival still closed? - Why is Survival closed?

As you can see, the 2nd titles are shorter than the original one. Just try to cut down as much words as you can while doing this. Time to move on!

Proper grammar & English
    Pretty much straightforward. Use this at all times unless you are basically making a direct joke, etc. A good reason to use this is because it makes you look much more professional and the readers can clearly see that you know what you're talking about. Here are some simple examples:
    1. y did u ban me - Why did you ban me?
    2. idk how 2 ply some1 help plz - I don't know how to play. Someone help please.
    3. were do i report some1 dats haking - Where do I report someone that's hacking?

Clearly a major difference here. It's pretty much basic for everyone. If you are not good at this stuff, try your best because it's pretty easy to do this. This includes apostrophes, semi-colons, hyphens, brackets, etc.

On a similar note, if you aren't a fluent English speaker, inform us before you actually start the thread and it's best to also have a copy but in your native language (main language). The community can always use Google Translate, Word Reference, etc to translate it.

Paragraphs
    Use paragraphs. I can't really stress this enough. If you are making a large thread (or even a small one), use paragraphs. Nobody on Earth would want to ever read a massive wall of text at all. Paragraphs were invented and taught to you for a reason so you better use it.

If you do not know how to use a paragraph 100% properly (like me), try your best. All I know about paragraphs (the basics anyways) are:
    - They're there to separate points.
    - Separate different perspectives.
    - A new statement.
    I can't really be bothered posting more but those should help. As I said, use paragraphs because a wall of text hurts people's eyes.

Detail
    If you are going to post a thread, make it detailed and more importantly on the detail bit, meaningful. Detail is a massive part in threads and without it, nothing can really be done. If you are going to say something, back it up somehow. For example:
    - The server is bad. How?
    - Everyone's disrespectful. How?
    - Fix SG now. How?

If you bothered to put detail, you might just be possibly also putting up a solution yourself. With detail comes meaningful threads. Using this can be a key factor in a good thread and not having detail may just ruin a great suggestion.

Repetitive Threads
    If there is a thread posted like the one you're about to post, don't even post it. It's a waste of a thread and it's basically useless. Stick to one thread if possible because the community does not want to see 10 threads that are based off one topic and all are the same.

In conclusion to this sub-topic, use the Search Function at times when you're about to post a thread. The only exclusion I have to repetition is if the thread is dead and you don't want to necro (bump) it.

Closure
    Close it formally if you can. Do not make a stupid sentence to finish it because you're ruining your reputation and showing that you're most likely a bad person in general. Even with a negative thread, you can always close it positively and I'm certain there is a way to close it like that.

The thread itself
    Use a minimum amount of profanity as you possibly can. It isn't doing any good and doesn't make you look cool. Follow by all the rules and make the best thread you possibly can with your abilities within you and your brain.

With all this in mind, the thread should be explaining your main point and your views unless it's something unrelated to that. Just stick on topic and try not to go off-topic with some random things. A P.S is good for those kinds of things but then again, try be on-topic but it's normally okay for it to be slightly off-topic.

This is all I have for now as I have not seen one of these and I hope this is used in the near-future. Remember, make good threads! Also, thank you in advance for reading this and if you have any more suggestions on a sub-topic on the proper etiquette on creating a thread, feel free to post it!

P.S: I am not trying to be a try-hard and I am most certainly not trying to take away the jobs of mods to make myself look better. I just want to give threads more of a meaning.

Sincerely: Sunken_Library

2. Caity

Caity according to all known laws of aviation.. Donator

Minecraft:
    _Caity
    You do make good points but I'll just say this:
    This is a video game forum. We aren't working for novels in posts. The point is to just get together as a community more, not worry about "detail" and "closure".

Chickenbits_ likes this.
  3. SLVSHPANDA

SLVSHPANDA Custom Title Donator

Minecraft:
    DiviXion

Without detail, we wouldn't know exactly what the OP is really thinking of. The closure is not as important but it really sums up most of the points (just like an editorial and a front page story).

4. Caity

Caity according to all known laws of aviation.. Donator

Minecraft:
    _Caity
    Well, you make it seem like they have to write a novel to get their point across.