Trump recognized Israeli Sovereignty over the Golan Heights

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by TheMint, Mar 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    The US now recognizes Israel's Sovereignty over the Golan Heights. All of the EU's 28 states unanimously declared they will not recognize Israel's Sovereignty over the occupied territory.

What do you think? I'll post my views soon.

StreakyOrange and ItsJerry like this.
  2. Muffin_Mobber

Muffin_Mobber Reality Surfer Donator

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Haha friend you'll need to enlighten us. We, at least I, am super ignorant about the topic and would be interested in hearing what someone who can be considered knowledgeable has to say. (AKA I don't want to look like a moron hehe)

TheMint likes this.
  3. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    True woops I'll try to explain it a little.

In 1967 Israel fought its neighbors - Jordan, Egypt and Syria in a war called the Six Day War. It was a terrible war with many casualties, and it ended up with Israel (with military aid from the USA) winning and gaining control over several territories including the Golan Heights from Syria.

The Golan Heights today are what I would describe as a mountainous, country side, beautiful area. There's one town there and many many villages. The population consists of Israeli Jews and Israeli Druze (not exactly Arabs). The Druze population stayed there after Israel gained control. They speak Arabic but usually don't want to be affiliated with Arabs and they kind of have a religion of their own. Very peaceful and nice people, I can say that from personal experience.

One of the reasons you don't hear about that area as much as you hear about Gaza (if you know what that is) is because the Golan Heights are completely peaceful. No wars, rockets, nothing. I go there a lot for hikes and I have friends who live there.

Now to get to the point. Syria, the Arab world and a big part of the world see the Golan Heights as an occupied part of Syria, and not as Israel. They say it is "under Israeli control". Trump has recently recognized Israeli Sovereignty over the area. That's a big deal. European countries see the area as Syria's.

Most Druze people that I've met and talked to don't even want to be under Syria's control. Being under Israel's control means they have supplies, protection, tourists... Syria is a corrupt, nearly destroyed, dangerous country, they don't want to be a part of that, even though that's where they originate from. I've read online that Druze leaders declared that Trump's decision was "a delusional decision from a delusional man", which really contradicts what their people actually think. (Yeah it's a little complicated here lol)

I'm not a Trump fan, but I don't think Europeans understand what's going on in here. They don't realize that sending the Golan Heights back to Syria means destroying the region and putting its people in danger. Yes, supporting Israel is considered not PC but for some reason the West thinks supporting a totalitarian regime under a dictator's control is a better idea?