“Thread” Awareness

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Stolas, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Hello.

As many of you know, this community loves to debate, which is completely fine, in an appropriate manner (in my opinion).

However, this is getting out of hand. Stop turning innocent and peaceful threads into debate threads. I’ve seen this happen to my threads, a recent 9/11 thread and a few others.

When it says to not derail a thread; don’t derail the thread!

I’ve seen a lot of these threads stay with the topic, support, etc.

The common problem is simple. A person says something that isn’t what the thread author had in mind for replies, and people dislike the reply, so they argue, and it gets worse, and worse.

It’s getting serious, and I don’t believe I’m the only one who noticed. Seriously, stop it.

2. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I see nothing wrong with it... If you're gonna make a thread about a controversial topic you should accept all kinds of opinions and be open to debates.
    What's so bad about a debate anyway? You say it gets out of hand and gets worse and worse but in reality it's just a bunch of people having a healthy debate.

Starixty, Odilon, Sakujo and 18 others like this.
  3. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

this thread is a debate thread so...lol

GummyBean, Sakujo, ItsJerry and 5 others like this.
  4. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    It should be noted that this thread is of the thread creator's own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the view or position of the staff team on this matter.

Odilon, Sakujo, TwageTomato and 17 others like this.
  5. witchchick128

witchchick128 Amity Blight Donator

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    As Mint said, if your gonna make a thread thats controversial (say, a 9/11 thread or banning the Russians), it's gonna have debate. Even if the thread says not to derail it, it's probably said/gonna say a lot of things that people have opinions about.

Then again, it is a fucking Minecraft forum, so we shouldn't even be discussing this lmfao

6. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    @Expedect I disagree. There is nothing wrong with debating ideas etc. Sometimes it's how we learn things that are different than what we normally would think and understand other people's perspectives. When those threads become something other than debating fueled by more anger and hate peppered with name calling, then that I would agree on.

Why not? Critical thinking is a huge concept. There is no legitimate reason why topics other than Minecraft should be discussed in a minecraft server as long as they're in the appropriate part of the forum. I'm a parent with teenagers. I've had some amazing discussion and debates with some of the people on the server. To be honest, I would love to see these discussions happen more often. There are some great minds on this server and I think learning how to debate something respectfully is an important life skill to learn. You don't always learn everything you need to know from your family, friends, or even your school. In this type of environment, with people who have vast differences in belief and opinion is one of the best places to come together and talk.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  7. witchchick128

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    True, but it was created FOR Minecraft.
    Then again, we have a sub-forum for that.

Eh.

8. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    The forums where created for a community that is based off of a minecraft server.
    There is a very big difference.

9. witchchick128

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    I mean it has "Minecraft Server" at the end of it's name.

Holy shit this became a debate thread
    but its not debating its me being stupid

eh fuck its based of minecraft I'm not debating on a thread that is about not debating lol

10. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Nothing bad about debate except when it’s made at inappropriate times.
    (The rest isn’t related to your reply so dw)

This is a debate thread, you’re correct, and nobody said it wasn’t, but people are specifically telling you to not derail things on other threads.

You’re confusing me saying “this isn’t a debate thread” and “this thread is related to debate threads”, which have been completely misinterpreted.

This isn’t my forum, and it’s not my rules, but it’s only fair that threads be respected as they were intended to be.

11. Yellow_Pants

Yellow_Pants Casual gamer Donator

Minecraft:
    Yellow_Pants
    What do you mean? If there's a thread that talks about a controversial topic, it's natural that debates will start. The only thing to avoid in those situations is getting such debates off topic. And insulting each other, of course.

TheMint likes this.
  12. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I would agree 100% if it turned into a screaming match with a lot of hate or if it went off topic. Sometimes the best conversations come from the threads that stray into a very serious discussion.

TheMint and Stolas like this.
  13. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    Define derailment because you've hinted at it being defined as a direction the creator did not intend to go in. But if we were to curve to that definition threads would be mindless praising with no real thought to it.
    There is never just one side to things and you will need to accept that sometimes things go off topic(ish) in benefit of everyone.
    Education is much more of a priority over feelings \o/

ItsJerry likes this.
  14. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s

By things going in a different direction it doesn't necessarily mean it goes off topic. It might just be ideas and concepts that the OP doesn't think of or include.

15. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    Oh I agree, hence the "(ish)".

16. Costellon

Costellon professional Boy Donator

Minecraft:
    colorised
    what is this thread designed to achieve?

17. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    To be aware of his opinion?

18. Saul1337

Saul1337

If you don't understand that then let me put it the clear way : No, we won't stop posting on threads and voicing our personal opinions, even if that derails a thread. This is a forum, that's how it works. Threads like (Post a picture of yourself) don't have any discussion because there's no discussion to be had, a thread like 9/11 memorial can spark a discussion. If you don't like this, then don't visit the forums.

1449309863090.png
    ''Leave it to the internet to turn nothing into an argument''

19. iRachel

iRachel Donator Donator

Minecraft:
    iRachel
    I honestly don't care if you're starting a debate but when you talk about an event like 9/11 or something serious, don't make it be negative. Some of you didn't like the fact that someone posted about 9/11 on a thread and that is so disrespectful. Not just to the person who posted it but to the people who died on those airplanes. It's okay to voice your opinions but you're dead ass turning something that was made to remember and acknowledge people into a war zone. We don't have to be animals or spark an argument just because you disagree about it. By the way, I don't mean all threads. This is only how I feel about peaceful threads.

Loocy, Smg and MC_Scout like this.
  20. Costellon

Costellon professional Boy Donator

Minecraft:
    colorised
    people have to realize that this is the internet. we have an option to communicate in a way where we have no idea who, where, and what is typing back. people have boundaries irl. you wouldnt go talking about how hitler was a great man irl, would you.

when you know that you're completely anonymous, you tend to let off steam and just say whatever. one reason why doxing is serious. you need to learn that people dont act as themselves online, and that these "justice threads/comments" arent going to fix it.
    on a place like this, people like to get reactions out of other people.

Yellow_Pants likes this.