The Doxing Threat Epidemic on IJAH

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by t3mptr3s, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Costellon

Costellon professional Boy Donator

Minecraft:
    colorised
    absolutely, but to me, giving that info out in the first place is your responsibility. you cant call doxing bad because you gave that info out.
    doxing can be used to stop hackers, cant it? it's just like with firearms. you can use it in a good way or a bad way. depends who the individual behind the keyboard is. just like it depends who's behind the firearm.

Rofl likes this.
  2. Magical

Magical . Donator

Wait people still date on here? That was so 2015

3. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    dont willy and sofie od?

4. Flurried

Flurried Philip Defranco Stan Donator

Does the "cringy" part apply to people who met on MC and then began dating? I understand the cringe behind solely online dating, but what about the people who genuinely consider it long distance?

safoya299 and Jakt like this.
  5. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    Giving the information/pictures out to one person is one thing. It's when they give it to other people without knowledge or consent that is the issue. When they leak it on the server or dump a file of pictures into dropbox and pass them around

What kind of hacking are you referring to? Cheating or actual hacking? Because dox'ing won't help you catch actual hackers unless you're talking about one of the kids that only know how to hack via button.

Chemor likes this.
  6. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    Wow, didn't realize this became such a big issue on the server. I don't remember it being something so big where a thread had to be made about it. Don't really think it is that much of an issue right now too. Of course there's the occasional 4 girls and 4 guys on the server who still to this day like to take pictures of their ass or inappropriate videos and send them to people from here.
    I agree with not sending nudes to people online. That's fucked. It's literally just exposing yourself and you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation with people you've never even physically met. Don't do it

Nessa likes this.
  7. ANumber2Pencil

ANumber2Pencil Resigned ______________________________________ Donator

Minecraft:
    ANumber2Pencil
    I mean if you meet in mc then discover you live in the same city or something and start meeting in real life and hangout and want to date then I guess thats fine, still kinda sketch though. But 99% of the people who date on Minecraft Have never, and will never actually meet the person they are "dating". And at that point its not even a real relationship. You will never truly know someone over the internet.

8. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    You're all nitpicking over dating online seriously? First, it is a real relationship. A relationship is a connection, association or involvement.. an emotional or other connection between people. If your friendships are real, so are the relationships. That isn't the issue. I met @Ezzerland online in a game 2005, moved in with him 2006. Difference is we were adults and understood the consequences.

Dating online isn't a huge deal until someone crosses a line. Dating on specific servers and then it goes south and everyone wants people to take sides.. yeah it sucks. But it's also irrelevant to the conversation unless you're talking about kids who go batshit crazy and lose all control of their temper and try to destroy other people, their reputation etc. The question is how do you learn to protect yourself in these situations. You date someone, you think you trust them and they get information. They get angry and spam it to everyone. Or worse, there are the inappropriate pics.. those can do significantly more damage. Jail time or worse following you for the rest of your life. From something stupid you did as a kid. I did stupid things as a kid, I think it's a commonality. Just stop and think about what you're doing and the potential consequences of it.

9. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    im talking about some of the "hackers" ive come accross. cyber terrorists, if you will. you obviously have no idea about hacking if you think that doxing doesnt help catch them.

10. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

I'm pretty sure the guys who catch the people who dox others arent called hackers
    pretty much they are called "police" an/or investigators

11. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    i think you misread my reply.

think about it like this, if a criminal has a gun, the best way to stop them would be with a gun, correct?

12. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    Nope, the police and investigators aren't the only people who can catch people who dox others.

Depends on the situation. How does that pertain to the discussion?

Phoenix likes this.
  13. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    seriously? you cant see how it relates.

14. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    Not all hackers are cyber terrorists. They even offer penetration testing courses to help you get jobs protecting corporations

In this context, no I don't.

Phoenix and Smg like this.
  15. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    i didnt say- ugh.
    fine. lets use your "protecting corporations" example. guns can be used to protect people, correct? they can also be used to kill people. what's the most effective way of stopping a gunman? with a gun. whats the most effective way of stopping a hacker? doxing (imo).

it can be used for good or bad. im unwatching now.

16. PopeUrbanII

PopeUrbanII deus vult Donator

Minecraft:
    ComradeMessiah
    A better way to stop a hacker would be to contact authorities, instead of participating in an illegal act as well.

Starixty, Netherr, Phoenix and 3 others like this.
  17. t3mptr3s

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I was actually told by a friend who is a Human Rights attorney just to turn these people into the FBI-SVU. I don't have the information to do so at this point but maybe that would be enough to get the kids on here to at least give it a second though instead of sharing things.

PopeUrbanII likes this.
  18. tahani

tahani Donator

Minecraft:
    toxic / tracts
    might as well @ me (: thanks for bringing light to my situation tho!

Lone and Cami like this.
  19. Bilbo

Bilbo Donator

Minecraft:
    CORNUH
    ^ kinda sad how things get so misleading. there’s a difference between an actual dox threat and someone who thinks they’re getting doxed and decides to tell the whole jh community.

what situation?
    you weren’t doxed. you weren’t threatened. no nude pics were shared. stop spreading rumors around to gain attention. for future references, don’t jump to conclusions ! thx buddy.

psa: sending nudes over minecraft is absolutely foolish and absurd, stuff like this happen where you worry to much and just escalates to this point.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  20. tahani

tahani Donator

Minecraft:
    toxic / tracts
    If no nude pics were shared how come multiple people sent me photos of my pictures being sent around in a group chat (:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.