Swastika Specification

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kupi, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Kupi

Kupi

As few might know the swastika did not have its origins from the Nazi Party. It is an ancient symbol of religious purpose that has positive meanings. Of course this all depends on the orientation of the swastika.

I had asked a staff member if within the usage of a Buddhist temple on my plot in c1 would a swastika be exempt from the rule banning it. The obvious answer is no, it is still not allowed, that was expected.

It's 100% understandable why it would be the case even with the religious intent, but nonetheless it still is religious discrimination.
    As far as I know (It has been awhile since I read the full rule page so do correct me if I'm wrong, please.) doing something like a cross on your plot isn't against the rules in any sense even though its a roman torture device, so allowing the cross with religious intent is favouring one religious symbol over another which just isn't very right.

That does bring in the idea that you could get out of trouble by saying that your swastika has a certain purpose but at that point I would suggest it could be up to the intuition of the staff member dealing with it.

Lesser argument:
    With how secluded the plots in the creative servers are do to dead account plots theres very close to a 0% chance that anyone would even come to see my plot. Point being that anyone who saw it would have been personally teleported there by me and I would have the chance to explain the proper intent of the swastika. GIST:No one would see my plot with how secluded they are. I'd explain to anyone I teleported that its not a Nazi symbol.
    buddhapicture1.jpg

Zak likes this.
  2. Syrian

Syrian Former Mod x2 Donator

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    There is nothing offensive about a historic figure. A Hitler statue with swastikas incorporated on it are perfectly fine.

Spamming the symbol in mass arounts leads to prejudicial remarks about the events of WWII.

While it may not be intended to offend people, it can be taken the wrong way depending on the audience.

Reno, tence3000 and Mookey like this.
  3. Kupi

Kupi

Is that a 'good to go' on the building, or a personal opinion?

4. Syrian

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    It's not an opinion, you are allowed to build Hitler statues as long as they are not built in a way that would offend anyone. TL;DR, use common sense and think whether something would offend someone or not.

Zak likes this.
  5. Kupi

Kupi

Oh alright, cool. Thank you.

Syrian likes this.
  6. TheMint

TheMint Former Mοd+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    What? How is building a statue of Hitler perfectly fine?!

^ official rules.

Building Hitler isn't offensive but having a Hitler skin or swastika on your skin is?

I honestly don't understand how you think building Hitler isn't offensive. It's pretty much as offensive as building statues of Syrians dying from chemical weapons, which is in no way appropriate. The guy is literally responsible for the deadliest genocide in human history. He killed gays, gypsies, blacks, Jews and many more. He's considered a symbol of death to many people around the world.

I guess I'm just gonna use all of my creative plots to build huge statues of the Grand Wizard then :)

Who exactly is offended by a cross?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    katlynn, Sofie, BrakeCrake and 7 others like this.
  7. Syrian

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    I'm only giving out information I have confirmed to be accurate.

katlynn likes this.
  8. TheMint

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I don't see how that is accurate. "Nazi symbols" are the the example they're giving to excessive offensive symbols, which are illegal. How can you use the example they gave and say it's okay? That makes no sense.

9. Syrian

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    Because there is nothing offensive about a historic figure. Referencing anything prejudicial against Jews alongside the statue/skin of Hitler would be offensive, but mentioning Hitler with no context should never be inappropriate for the server. Basically, a Hitler statue alone is not offensive.

10. TheMint

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    Hitler is a classic example of something offensive.
    DELETE.png
    I understand that you don't feel offended by it since it's not a part of your history, but you have to put yourself in others' shoes and understand that Hitler is a symbol of horror, torture, and pretty much anything horrible that you can think of.

11. Syrian

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    Your quote implies that this is my opinion, but it isn't. I'm only giving information that I've confirmed is correct. Whether or not I feel that a Hitler skin/statue is offensive doesn't apply to what I've stated here, like I said, I'm only giving out the information which I've been told.

If you think these are offensive you can make a suggestion about it (this suggestion is about swastikas in general, not Hitler builds/skins).

12. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

don't we already clear plots with swastikas tho? I mean I did and I banned for "inappropriate content"
    if a hitler statue is fine and also swastikas are fine then why is KKK and ISIS not fine lol

13. TheMint

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I am indeed implying that it is your opinion because the rules clearly state that Nazi symbols are offensive yet you're still saying that you have confirmed otherwise. If the official rules are opposing your statement, it is an opinion, not a fact.

14. Syrian

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    The official rules are not opposing my statement. I clearly showed you a clause that states Hitler skins with nazi signs incorperated is okay.

15. JokerBen

JokerBen Moderator | The Joker Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    JokerBen
    In my view, real historical people, no matter what they did, are fine.

However, if said person or symbol is used intentionally for a hateful statement, it should be punished.

There are fine lines between opinion and hate. Some people may have pro-Nazi opinions and may express them by building a statue of Hitler on their own personal space. That's fine in my view. Hate would be spray painting a swastika on the walls of a Halocaust memorial. Hate is directing harassment regarding a historical figure towards someone or specific group.

katlynn, Zak, Draggon and 2 others like this.
  16. TheMint

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    This is exactly what's written in the rules:
    The rules are clearly stating that Nazi symbols are excessive offensive symbols, which are not allowed.

You have to understand that by saying things like this you're letting anti semites, trolls and generally people with zero common sense build basically anything they want: Hitler, KKK, Swastika, ISIS, and you won't be able to do anything about it. That's just chaos.

17. JokerBen

Minecraft:
    JokerBen
    It was my personal opinion, not a reflection of the rules.

18. TheMint

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I know it was your personal opinion Ben, I just replied to your opinion because I disagree with it.

JokerBen likes this.
  19. JokerBen

Minecraft:
    JokerBen
    In that case, we have to agree to disagree.

TheMint likes this.
  20. n00bhouse

n00bhouse i've become comfortably numb Donator

Mint said: I understand that you don't feel offended by it since it's not a part of your history, but you have to put yourself in others' shoes and understand that Hitler is a symbol of horror, torture, and pretty much anything horrible that you can think of.

Well said. As a German I'm not comfortable at all with seeing a Swastika or a Hitler skin in a block game that's supposed to be peaceful and free of hate. And you allow this as staff? I fully respect the swastika as a symbol of religion, but since WW2 it's burned into the collective minds as an association to all the hate and mass murders and all other countless crimes committed by the NS regime from 1933-1945. It doesn't matter that Hitler's a historical figure. Everyone knows what he's responsible for and nobody needs to be reminded of that - neither in Minecraft nor in general