[Spleef] Spawn

Discussion in 'Map Submissions' started by Joel, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel

Joel Resigned

Minecraft:
    JoelSpanish
    IGN: JoelSpinach

Minigame:
    Spleef

Description of the map:

A new spawn for spleef, based off the ideas of our spleefers.
    • Added Parkour
    • More to explore
    • Bigger 1v1 arenas
    • Some organics
    • Bring back the skull
    Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/KbCQD
    Credits to:
    Myself, JoelSpinach/JoelSpanish

Funny fact; Made this in like 4-5 hours in a rush, so it ain't amazing, sorry !

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Mats

Mats ‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮

Minecraft:
    Mats9799
    Wow, this is actually really good. +1

Joel likes this.
  3. momand

momand ex-god Donator

I really like how it looks and how it's sort of a mix between spring and winter version of our current and the previous spawn.

+1, I'd love to see it get added. Good job, Joel.

Joel likes this.
  4. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Unexpectedly good.

Joel likes this.
  5. Jakt

Jakt Former Mod+ |questionable | Donator

One of the best maps I've ever seen +1

Spxm and Joel like this.
  6. Trisssy

Trisssy Tris | Aussie | Donator

Minecraft:
    Trisssy
    Honestly this is excellent, better than what I could have done so good job +1

Joel likes this.
  7. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    When I was starting to make my spleef map, I gave up since I knew I wasn't going to be able to compete against the spawn there is now.
    But this, is just fantastic! I love it!
    Great work Joel! Hope it gets accepted! c:

Joel likes this.
  8. StonN

StonN subscribe to PewDiePie Donator

Minecraft:
    StonN24
    Im actually speechless, nice work.

Joel likes this.
  9. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    honestly this is really really good
    id love this to be the new spawn

dreamvlle and Joel like this.
  10. Darkstorm77

Darkstorm77 Former M.od+ Donator

Minecraft:
    Darkstorm77
    Sorry to be a downer, but I overall dislike it.

When I first look at this, I principally see a mixture of blocks. The ground and mountains both blend into each other with an equal variety of blocks which looks a bit overdone. There is snow on the tops of some of the mountains, but I don't think enough (which could play into a small ice theme even but sadly is only shown in the water). The spruce leaves on the mountains is actually a nice touch, but it heavily contrasts the color of the jungle leaves on the tree built.

The river is nice, but I suggest maybe moving it closer to the waterfall so it can lead into it. The bridge on the river is fine. The playing area, although a bit plain, is nice- but it is again strange that snow is there but not anywhere else except lightly on the tips of the mountains.

The bird with the shovel is definitely one of my favorite features, though it doesn't make too much sense in the theme. I would keep it as is, but the bees I really don't get.

The houses seen in the final picture are nice but I don't like the color choice in the way it's used. The green and blue and such can be used, but it is a little detail almost only seen from a side view and therefore doesn't work as well as it could. The stone brick blends in with the mountain too well and needs a big contrast which the color should provide if it revealed more.

The tree is perfectly fine and good, but I think you should add more in the big, empty spaces shown in the sixth image.
    I think the miniature Spleef areas in the mountain are fine.

And now, for me, I think one of the biggest things is the ground is just flat. The mountains are nice and give terrain, but it just steeply stops right into a flat land. The transition looks good, but it needs a bit more depth- look at the fourth image. The only depth I see in the empty areas is grass, lacking a varying terrain.

Now overall, this is a nice spawn. If you changed these things, I think it could look way better. I applaud that you did this much in a short amount of time. I do dislike it, but I am critiquing on the smaller details (mostly) and it has potential. Nice work.

11. Joel

Joel Resigned

Minecraft:
    JoelSpanish
    I thank you for your honesty, helps out.

TheFlamingDragon and Darkstorm77 like this.
  12. GalaxyPuffz

GalaxyPuffz rip joergen Donator

Minecraft:
    GalaxyPuffz
    Coming from a 3 year Spleefer on this server, (and all of the Spleef community knows this) our maps mean a great deal to us. It's not like other gamemodes where you are only in that spawn area for a couple seconds before you warp to another area to play the game. It's different for us because that spawn map is our map that we stay on 24/7 and is what we're surrounded by. With that being said, we are very sensitive to our maps.

First off I'd like to start with the Pro's of this map:
    • I love the tree that was added back - Many of the older players know how memorable our tree was and we hold that dear to us. We have so many memories with it and I love it.
    • The skull - Ah, the skull. I remember that parkour that instantly made you cool if you could get into that damn skull. Lovely addition back and again, it means so much to us older players that remember that stuff which brings back memories of the past and the amazing times we had in Spleef.
    • The mountains / barriers - Look very nice and rustic and add to the whole map
    But, there are also Con's I'd like to address about the map as well:
    • The entirety of the map just feels off. We're spleef and we have this huge arena which is the centerpiece of this whole thing. Snow is white and it just sticks out in an off-putting way. The whole map feels / has this summer vibe to it and then there's the arena. I just don't think the crossover of the map to the actual arena was well.
    • Again, I love the tree but it just sticks out. There's this emptiness of the whole map where not a lot of things are occupying the space of the map and the tree sort of sticks out in not the greatest way. It's kind of just... there.
    • The bird... I don't really know. It's a great build, I just don't know why or how it plays into the theme of the map. It's really awesome looking it just doesn't fit with the map as a whole.
    My overall thoughts on this is that the map has some good qualities, also bad. My main concern is that for a map to be successful and to deliver what it's supposed to be representing, everything has to seem like it belongs. In this map, I just don't everything as truly belonging in the map and some thing's don't serve a purpose.

Thank you for trying to re-create something that we once had Joel, but try to put a modern building spin on the classic idea's of our original Spleef map, but I just don't see it in this one.

Miner, Darkstorm77 and Smg like this.
  13. TheFlamingDragon

TheFlamingDragon Resigned, Former M.o.d Donator

Minecraft:
    TheFlamingDragon
    This is a very great map but I really agree with Darkstorm on a lot of things. First of all, I wanna point out that It doesn't really give that "spleef" feel to it. If you possibly added a lot more snow/ice, (Maybe even wool) to the floor or more on the mountains, it'll look a lot better. Also, the ground (Like Darkstorm said) is a bit flat, but other than that, I think It's a fantastic map and I wish you all the luck. +1

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  14. gippy

gippy DO IT Donator

I've played spleef and inactively play to this day, and the tree and skull were wonderful additions. But it's not really a spleef vibe, spleefers wouldn't like it, and you mostly have to appeal to them in this situation. Sorry, this doesn't appeal to me, no support.

15. Trisssy

Trisssy Tris | Aussie | Donator

Minecraft:
    Trisssy
    Wow, amazing +1

16. rosellavio

rosellavio Donator

If you could fix those things, the map will look even better
    But overall, great job on the map. +1

TheFlamingDragon likes this.
  17. xolance

xolance