So I was looking into how much RAM a minigame needs...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic / Spam / Memes' started by PresidentBacon, Apr 13, 2014.

1. PresidentBacon

PresidentBacon Barry B. Benson

Yeah, as the title says. I'm making a server (as some people may know) and I don't know how much RAM to allocate to each section of it. (off topic but if you can help me with this, please share your thoughts on how much) I stumbled upon a server on planet minecraft which BLATANTLY copied so much from J&H... Even the motd message on the server list :I

http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/factionmasters-mini-game-server/

NOTE: I'm not trying to advertise my server or this server in any way, just wanted to bring this up since its wrong to just copy this much.

2. RockoR

RockoR new bagel

Minecraft:
    RockoR
    I'm not very good at these kinds of things, but I believe that it depends on the plugins used, so we would need to know what plugins you are using ;)
    Either that or I'm completely wrong xD

3. ClemensMine

ClemensMine

With 4 plugins spigot recommends 3mb per chunk/player. So for a maximum size of 1000 player per minigame it would be 3Gb each, to be on the save side round it up to 4Gb. Depends on how heavy these plugins are.

Maybe example server

/Hub ~4GB
    MVS
    Essentials Protect or gamemode 3
    Essentials Chat
    Sign Warps

/Spleef ~6GB
    MVS
    Essentials Protect
    Essentials Chat
    Sign Warps
    Mob Arena
    SPL Plugin

/Survival ~6GB
    MVS
    Essentials Protect or Commandblock for spawn
    Essentials Chat
    Sign Warps
    Factions
    Chest Protect

/Creative ~4 to 6GB
    MVS
    Essentials Protect or Commandblock for spawn
    Essentials Chat
    Sign Warps
    Plot
    Tp Plugin

So a round total of ~20 to 22Gb

RockoR and Grognar like this.
  4. Mcc457

Mcc457 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Minecraft:
    PentilexBros
    Minecraft server hosting sucks

That's a lot of RAM...

5. Leandro

Leandro Donator

Minecraft:
    ItsLeandro
    It all depends on how many players and which minigames. Could you give me a approx. amount of players?

6. PresidentBacon

Firstly. I have a lot more than 4 plugins on each server (each server has a set of about 10+ plugins which are on each server to provide a consistant lobby and administration system. Waaaaay too many but I'm trying to condense it down to a reasonable amount. Most are lightweight anyway) Also, I have 16gb of ram to use and plan on making a few minigame servers. 1000 players? Maybe in the future, but to start with, I'm going for at least 100.

Atm I have it limited to 100 cause idk how many it can handle and I have 16gb of ram on the dedicated server I own, as stated above. The minigames I have planed at the moment are
    • A hunger games variant, allowing for breaking of placing blocks (possibly) which could cause lag as it would need to reset those blocks so I don't know about that.
    • Something like infected, where one person starts as a zombie and has to infect everyone else before the timer runs out.
    • Skywars, like skyblock but with pvp, again needs to reset worlds but they're much smaller.
    • Something like Super Smash Mob
    • Survival
    • Creative plots
    • Possibly skyblock

7. Fluttershy's Assassin

Fluttershy's Assassin

TBH, 16 gigs should be MORE than enough. What processors do you have and what is your host?

8. PresidentBacon

Its Kimsufi. I was talking with AJ and he told me about them since Crafted Movies whitelisted server used to use them. They're good for cheap dedicated servers (like really cheap in comparison) but their only issues are lack of customer support, so basically you have to do it all yourself, and wait ages if your hardware fucks up. The one I got has an i5 (not the best but its all I can afford at this current time, they do have costlier packages with Xeons though, still a lot cheaper than most dedicated servers)

9. Fluttershy's Assassin

Fluttershy's Assassin

How much does it cost monthly? Have you tried other hosts? If so, which ones? I know a host which is really good, but I want to know if you saw it.

10. PresidentBacon

£25 a month. I've tried EnviousHost, MineOCity and Beastnode (but a lot smaller packages, not meant for larger servers) I've stopped using purely Minecraft hosts and switched to dedicated servers as you get more freedom and its much cheaper if your buying larger servers with lots of memory, ram and a good CPU.

And I just want to say. Im not going for an insanely large amount of people and minigames. Starting big would be pointless if it doesnt go anywhere. I plan to get better hardware in the future if it does. Not from the beginning.

11. Fluttershy's Assassin

Fluttershy's Assassin

k. I use beastnode. I am not sure if you used a package or not, but it is very cheap, and even for half a gig of RAM, it ran smoother than the SG server. Even spawning withers and fireballs like mad did nothing to it. If you want to start out small, I suggest a beastnode package. It is really reliable and easy to use. #MCProHostingSucks