Other Games PSA: Be overly careful about phishing links on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by dinoceros, Aug 30, 2018.

1. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

This is something that has been stressed a lot in the steam community, but I'd ask you to be careful about it as even though I am experienced with the Steam community, I have recently been a victim.

So I just got a message from one of my most trustworthy friends claiming that she had won a giveaway and that she needed help to claim it. She asked me to claim it on my account and that I would give it to her and give me a small portion of the giveaway as a thank you. Naively trusting my friend who has been in the steam community for years, thinking they would never fall for something like this, I decided to help them.

I went onto the site they linked me (which was a https website) and I decided to log into my account to claim the giveaway. I mindlessly typed my username and password, as well as my steam guard, as the site was https.

Next thing I know, I'm community banned, can't log into my account anymore and my email linked to my steam account is now some owned by some Russian dude.

I am overly disgusted and disappointed in myself for falling for this phishing scam. Moral of the story is, EVEN if a website is https, do not trust it.

• Always look if it says steamcommunity.com.
    • Make sure you use a different password from your E-Mail to your Steam Account.

I will be trying to get access to my account again, but that might be hard as I do not use my credit card that I last used to buy games on my steam account. I have locked my account. Hopefully support goes well and I get access to my account again soon. I spent a lot of money and time on my steam account.

Please be careful and don't do the same mistake than I did. You are not safe even if you think you are.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. witchchick128

witchchick128 Amity Blight Donator

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    damn broly. I don't usually play many Steam games but I've heard about shit like this. Any luck on getting your account banned?

dinoceros likes this.
  3. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

I don't know why I even got community banned. Probably Steam automatically did it as they saw something suspicious.

4. witchchick128

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    "oh this guy seems a lil different"
    B A N A N A E D

5. dinoceros

dinoceros Donator

i got unbanned as soon as i got my account back

witchchick128 likes this.
  6. witchchick128