[Parkour] Geometry

Discussion in 'Map Submissions' started by Muffin_Mobber, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Muffin_Mobber

Muffin_Mobber Reality Surfer Donator

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    IGN: muff_mob
    Minigame: Parkour
    Description of the map: This is Geometry, a map about shapes, and ultimately within one giant shape. I thought this theme was relatively unused in ItsJerryandHarry parkour so I thought I could use it. The map is really smooth running and forgiving, with only one required quad jump. At many points one may mess up and still find themselves in a position to quickly recover.
    Included is one meme and a pig which I can't bring myself to slaughter.

Difficulty: Medium to Easy, but I would say Medium is best.
    There are a couple shortcuts, and no exploits. A decent ending time is about 50s.

Edit: I have removed all red-stained glass and granite. Now all parkour blocks are quartz and the overarching structure is all stone-y.
    Edit 2: I removed all the shapes underneath and the circle and triangle outside playing area. They are not parts of the walls, and the floor is brand new.
    Edit 3: Raised water.
    Screenshots: Take 3: In the newest iteration of this map, the water is raised.
    Credits to: muff_mob and thanks to mah boi heetdood for encouraging me, as well as Mareliii for his criticism.

Yea, so, the map parkour wise is good. Please tell me if it looks good or not. Any criticism, no matter how harsh, is wonderful!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    dinoceros, ZeusV, nimk and 5 others like this.
  2. Mareliii

Mareliii Donator

Minecraft:
    Mareliii
    I like the concept, but it is really hard to get a theme like that to look good. And tbh I think your build is a little too messy at this point. The blocks that you have used in the build don't fit good together, and it lacks a lot of details. But if you just put some more effort into each part, make the builds that you currently have more detailed, and try to get everything to match together, then I am sure you could end up with a cool build :)

(No hate, I think this could be the start of something quite unique)

Muffin_Mobber and Ryva like this.
  3. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Thank you for your response! I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was a little messy. Do you think I should change all the blocks that are parkour related to a more singular theme (Like quarts-related or stone-related, rather than granite, quarts, and glass)?

Mareliii likes this.
  4. Mareliii

Mareliii Donator

Minecraft:
    Mareliii
    Imo you should change everything into the same color-theme. I would go with only 2 or 3 main colors (but still use different blocks of those colors), and probably remove all the "ugly" blocks that you have used, like Diamond blocks, Redstone blocks, Gold blocks and Granite, since those are some of the blocks that you almost never should use in a build (or at least Diamond, Redstone and Gold, Granite could work in some rare occasions). Try to use stained clay instead, since they look a lot more smoother

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    As far as the parkour map itself goes, it's entirely stone and quartz. What about the mini structures around the main thing?

Mareliii likes this.
  6. Mareliii

Mareliii Donator

Minecraft:
    Mareliii
    Yeah, that is what I meant when I said everyhing. All the details around the map (both the parkour and the mini-structures) is important if you want your map to be accepted. So you should make both the parkour build and the rest of the map the same theme and color scheme. And with color scheme, I don’t mean that everything should be the same color, but that you should stick to two or three colors that looks good together, and mainly use those colors on the big things that you have made in your map, but also try to blend in a few other colors in some spots.

Muffin_Mobber likes this.
  7. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Thank you again! Last question: What of the wall patterns?

Mareliii likes this.
  8. Mareliii

Mareliii Donator

Minecraft:
    Mareliii
    I think it’s a little too simple. The wall in this build is actually one of the most important things, since it is so big, and what most people are going to see first, and look at the most. So it is important that you make the wall interesting to look at. You just have to use your creative mind and come up with something cool. But one thing you could do is to add a lot more of those geometry things, like the big diamond triangle that is currently on top of the wall. Just change the diamond and gold blocks into something else and maybe make it a little smaller. But instead of having them on top of the wall you could make more of those things and attach it to the side of the wall instead. (I’m not sure if that’s going to look good or not, it is just a suggestion. Bc as I said before, this is a really hard theme to build something out of)

9. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    No I honestly like that idea. I can move the circle up top down beneath, change the blocks, and then add some trianles and shapes to the walls. Thank you very much for all the help!

Mareliii likes this.
  10. Mareliii

Mareliii Donator

Minecraft:
    Mareliii
    No problem man :) I hope you can end up with something nice. But just remember that it is really hard to build something like this, so if you get stuck or just don’t know what you should do with the build, then there is no shame in giving up, and maybe start on something new. But I really do hope that it doesn’t get to that, I look forward to see what you can come up with next :)

11. LizzieTheSober

LizzieTheSober a person who used to help :') Donator

Minecraft:
    waaaaahluigi
    really cool concept, hope it gets accepted once its finalized!

Muffin_Mobber and Ryva like this.
  12. nimk

nimk 你知道中文?*眼睛从头顶冒出来* *心脏开始跳出胸腔* awooga!!! Donator

Minecraft:
    meiguo
    yes

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  13. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Nick i swear to god if you don't change that no to a yes we can't be friends.

14. nimk

nimk 你知道中文?*眼睛从头顶冒出来* *心脏开始跳出胸腔* awooga!!! Donator

Minecraft:
    meiguo
    nibba wym i said yes

cachigga

15. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    Maybe try using different blocks to carve out the pathway and differentiate it from the design on the outside?

16. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Could you be a little more specific? I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by the design on the outside.

safoya299 likes this.
  17. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    The geometric shapes throughout the map that add a design is what I mean by the "outside". I'm suggesting that you differentiate in the block types that you use in the map because it's hard to contrast the path of the map from the design. This is because you've used the same blocks throughout the whole map.

Mareliii likes this.
  18. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    Ahhh. Originally, that's how it was, but multiple people told me that I should keep the different blocks I use to a minimum. Not saying your wrong or anything, but it DID look kind of messy.

Mareliii and safoya299 like this.
  19. safoya299

safoya299 Donator

Minecraft:
    safoya299
    I mean, you don't need to use a wide variety. Just enough different types to make the map path more clear.

20. Muffin_Mobber

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    In order to satisfy everything: Keeping things clean, keeping the colors simple, keeping black and white whilst not changing the quartz parkour block-which I wanted to keep the same, I thought the only best solution was to swap the colors on the walls. Tell me what you think:

I'm not saying I'm done, I still plan on revamping one of my geometrical shapes, but I'd like to know what yall think of this color scheme.
    Benefits are all the above and you can easily distinguish between parkour jumps and walls now.

LizzieTheSober and safoya299 like this.