[Optimize] Adapting Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Ezzerland, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    [​IMG]

Windows 10 is actually a very good update. It's quality. But it is not without new frustrations or its own share of unnecessary features. In this thread I will go through many basic and advanced changes that I recommend considering to make Windows 10 an adaptation that you can appreciate.

I am not going to give picture instructions, so if you get confused, ask questions or use your favorite search engine to find out more.

These are not all the settings you can change or adapt. These are just the most common issues or requested that I have seen and the ones that are generally most problematic. For example, you can disable OneDrive, but I will not cover that in this adaptation.

Basic Settings
    These vary between Home and Pro editions. Follow along the best you can.

From the start menu do-

Settings > Privacy (Don't see it? Start with 'location')
    General, Speech inking & typing, Location and Camera have some risque privacy concerns. I recommend disabling these things or restricting them to specific apps that you permit to use your location or camera. In the general section, I would strongly recommend disabling your advertising ID. For Speech inking & typing, I recommend disabling 'Getting to know you'

Settings > Accounts > Sync your Settings
    Turn 'Sync Settings' off.
    Unless you actively use windows 10 on multiple devices AND sync it with your e-mail (assuming you used an e-mail log on), this is just unnecessary.

Settings > Update & Security
    Under 'Windows Update' click "Advanced Options"
    You can toggle settings in here if you want, but we are looking for "Choose how updates are delivered"
    Toggle updates from microsoft to 'PCs on my local network'
    and I recommend shutting this off. Peer to Peer networking is intended to provide you with updates quicker but also uses your computers resources behind the scenes to send updates over the internet to other people.

On a mobile/Laptop? I'd go into Network & Internet and also check Wi-Fi Sense settings.

Start Menu
    Classic Shell
    If you don't like the multi-panel settings or miss the search bar features that windows 7 had. This product is for you. It's free and it's amazing. You can choose a start-menu style that works for you and customize it. You can also change the start icon, but that's up to you to customize. Personally, I like the windows 10 start button, but I prefer the Windows 7 Ultimate start menu style. This gives you a lot of control. Please feel free to use your favorite search engine to learn more.

Advanced Settings
    GPEdit
    If you are on Windows 10 Home edition, you will need to install GPEdit. If you have Windows 10 Professional, you already have it.

Run (windows+r)
    Type 'gpedit.msc'

Remove Lock Screen (slide screen before log in)
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization
    Double click 'Do not display the lock screen'
    Set to Enabled

Remove Cortana
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search
    Double click 'Allow Cortana'
    Set to Disabled

Remove Windows Defender
    ONLY recommended if you use another Anti-Virus! Protection is a good thing.
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender
    Double click 'Turn off Windows Defender'
    Set to Enabled

Shut off Windows Updates
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    Double Click 'Configure Automatic Updates'
    Set to Enabled
    Choose '2 - Notify for download and notify for install

Pianobonds, Sakujo, noah and 8 others like this.
  2. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    Anything on an older themed start menu? That would be awesome.

Ezzerland likes this.
  3. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    ClassicShell has the customization to take you back to about Windows 95/XP time frame. Just takes a little playing with to get there.

Contemptible likes this.
  4. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    I was hoping there was another route on that, lol. I use ClassicShell since I loved the Classin Win7 a lot.

(Also, thanks for the thread)!

Ezzerland likes this.