Need Computer Parts!

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Zackery, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    Help me figure out what parts to buy first for my computer!! Need everything BUT Graphics Card.
    Already got an Asus Strix 970.
    Also, give me suggestions on which product to buy.. Could use a bit more input from what I want.

Parts list that I want:
    • Processor - Intel Core i7 6700k Quad Core.
    • Motherboard - Asus Z170-A Socket LGA 1151
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
    • Solid State Drive - Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
    • Dvd Writer - LG Internal 24x DVD Writer OEM
    • HardDrive - WD Blue 2TB HDD
    Still looking for a cooling system, if you have ideas for that, or suggest a different part that I've listed, let me know.. thanks! :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Username likes this.
  2. antibullyranger

antibullyranger ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Donator

First, what are you planning to use your computer for?

Username likes this.
  3. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    Obviously gaming lmao ;) Also, going to try to start livestreaming and editing, which is why I want Intel Core i7 6700k

Username and antibullyranger like this.
  4. antibullyranger

antibullyranger ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Donator

I see, I thought you were getting the i7 just for gaming lol
    If you're building it for gaming and editing, depending on how much storage your SDD has, you might want to try and get a 2TB HDD because those games with better graphics take up a lot of space, as well as videos. Other than that it seems like I really good build :D

Username likes this.
  5. Markend

Markend Donator

Minecraft:
    Markend
    My pc specs as of now, basically the same as what you want lmao.
    • Processor - Intel Core i7 6700k Quad Core.
    • AIO liquid cooler - H100i 240mm
    • Graphics Card - GTX 1060 Gaming X 6gb
    • Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3P Socket 1151 Intel Z170 Chipset
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LED White 16GB 3000Mhz (2x8GB)
    • Solid State Drive - Kingston HyperX Savage SSD 120gb
    • HardDrive - 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm
    • Power supply - Corsair CX 500 (will upgrade I know)
    • Case - Deepcool Kendomen Titanium
    As for you pc, if you're going to be doing a lot of editing and use a lot of programs, I would suggest upgrading to a 240gb SSD or even get a M.2 drive which the motherboard supports. If you do not have an external hard drive, would also consider getting a 2tb HDD instead of a 1tb. As for cooling, there's either Air or Liquid cooling. Air is typically cheaper, while Liquid cooling is better for overclocking but air coolers are just as capable of supporting an overclocked cpu. Something like the Hyper 212x, fairly cheap. Depending on your overall budget and how much you would want to spend is important too. It is a nice build overall. Mine runs smoothly, able to play basically any game 60fps, fast render times and overall very good. Although, the new Kaby Lake processors and motherboards recently came out so you might want to take a look at those although they do have similar performance. But good luck with your build.

6. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    SSD is 240GB
    Will be getting a 240GB SSD for sure, thinking about getting the 2TB.
    I'm wanting to go with Liquid Cooling, it's more effective and works better for overclocking.
    I'm not looking to get the newer stuff, since it's more expensive for almost the same performance.

Username and Markend like this.
  7. Markend

Markend Donator

Minecraft:
    Markend
    Ah yes 240gb, good choice. I'd highly suggest the 2TB if it's within your budget. Also, what kind of budget do you have or are willing to spend? Yeah, Liquid Cooling is definitely more effective when it comes to overclocking. Just make sure you don't cheap out on a liquid cooler and make sure your case or whatever you decide to use supports it.

Username likes this.
  8. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    I dont really have a budget.. I'll be spending money as I go.

Markend and Username like this.
  9. witchchick128

witchchick128 Amity Blight Donator

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    if you need a graphics card i heard nvidia sells dank ones. I've never had experience but its a blind recommendation.
    gl on the computer zach

10. Mats

Mats ‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮‮

Minecraft:
    Mats9799
    Water cooling as a beginner? You should get someone experienced with you upon building the system. Liquid cooling has a way higher chance to have or get malfunctions than air cooling.

For a power supply I suggest going with either 750 or 850 watt.

11. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    Im not a begimner first off lmao. I just havent built one for like 4 years.
    plus I have my dad which has likr 5 degrees in computer engineering/programming. So I think im all good :p

12. _MadisonBarks

_MadisonBarks THAT furry Donator

Honestly, it's a misconception that you need really expensive parts to do recording / livestreaming / gaming / etc.

You really don't anymore.
    Drop the i7-6700k in favour of a i5-6500. Trust me, unless you use something other than OBS (which you shouldn't be doing anyways), you won't know the difference.

On memory - Corsair is a shit brand. Go with either Kingston or Crucial. Lifetime warranty, and easy as hell tech support if something fails. Plus, they're usually _way_ cheaper with no change in performance.

SSD - If I remember correctly, HyperX SSDs are still really, really expensive compared to the others. There's no need. Go find yourself either a SanDisk X400 or a Samsung 850 Evo. Same performance, better endurance, and should be cheaper.

Hard Drive - As I tell everyone else: NEVER GET A SEAGATE, EVER. My personal recommendation is a Western Digital Black - they're a bit more money, but they're totally worth the extra that you pay to get a significantly better drive. And, I'd recommend a 2TB drive. GTA alone takes up something like 70GB now.

Also, you really don't need a cooling system - the stock cooler that comes with the i5 is plenty enough, as long as you don't overclock (which you can't, because it's not a K-series processor. Ha c: )
    But seriously, overclocking isn't really needed - it's just there so people can kinda go like "ooooh, look at me, I overclocked my CPU". Sure, you get more performance out of it, but you'll honestly never see it.

13. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    Thankyou for your input.

I'm wanting a K version for the overclock, and I do use something other than OBS. I use Shadowplay, which is a lot better then OBS.

I'm a Corsair lover, that's why I was looking into the Vengeance, But I have been looking into Crucial, which I know is an amazing brand for memory.

As for SSD, I'm still set on for HyperX. The Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD is $119.99 which is not too bad for me.

As for the Processor, I've been set on the i7 6700k.. not only because it's the "highest" which it isn't. The highest is the 6900k which is over $1000.
    The i5 - 6500 is cheaper then a lot of decent processors. If I were to go with an i5 I'd go with the i5 - 6600k. Like I said before, I want one for overclock which can only do with a k series, as you stated already.

As for Hard drive, I've already have my heart set on the WD Blue 2 TB HDD.

Once again, thanks for your input :D.

14. _MadisonBarks

_MadisonBarks THAT furry Donator

Yeah, you still don't need an i7 or even a K-series processor. But if you're really insistent on getting a K-series, at least tone it down to the i5 model - Shadowplay, and OBS when configured correctly, don't use your CPU for any recording, rendering, or live streaming - everything is done on the GPU in a special area that Nvidia has purpose-built for it.

Seriously. Don't go Blue. Trust me on this one - I've worked for years and years as a system builder and integrator, and the two brands we have seen the most failures out of, as far as hard drives go, are Western Digital Blue, and Seagate consumer grade hard drives. Go with the Black.

Kingston has a really tarnished name as far as SSDs go, although I don't know their current state. You can save around $20-30 by going with the Samsung or SanDisk SSDs (and they've been proven time and time again, in desktops, laptops, servers, etc etc)

These are just statements based on what I've seen having built out several thousand PCs over the past few years. You get what you pay for, basically, and the performance that people think they need... they really don't c:

Zackery and ThiccTurtles like this.