NAME CHANGES?!?!!?!

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by AbzillaPower_, Apr 13, 2014.

1. AbzillaPower_

AbzillaPower_

So THERE ARE NAME CHANGES!!!! that means you can change your name heres all the info you need to know.
    Update: We have released version 1.7.8 with an important bugfix to fix some server crashes, and to resolve some skin related issues (including more crashes)

Version 1.7.8 is now officially released. This version contains some bugfixes, a few updates to make Realms even better than it already is and prepares Minecraft for the renaming feature that will eventually allow you to rename your player. The renaming feature will not be available right now, but this is an important step towards it. We have also changed the internal handling of player skins to make use of our new, improved skin servers.

Unfortunately the 1.7.6 and newer versions are not compatible with 1.7.5 (or earlier) servers. Please update your servers to 1.7.8, this is also an important step to prepare them for the upcoming 1.8 release. Servers should automatically update all player profiles to the new format, but please make sure that you are in the correct server mode (online mode/offline mode) when you start the 1.7.7 server for the first time, because profiles are not compatible between these two server modes.

Because this is important, let me repeat that last sentence:
    Please make sure that you are in the correct server mode (online mode/offline mode) when you start the 1.7.8 server for the first time, because profiles are not compatible between these two server modes.

You can find more information about the 1.7.8 update in the frequently asked questions section of our previous post.

Cross-platform server jar:https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/1.7.8/minecraft_server.1.7.8.jar

Report bugs here:

// The Minecraft and Minecraft Realms teams
    And Heres Some Even More!!!
    Update: The full release is now available, find out more here.

That’s a lot of numbers, but now Minecraft 1.7.6 pre-release 1 is available for testing! This is a huge step towards one of the most requested features since the birth of Minecraft; Name changes! This version provides complete support for identifying players through unique IDs and not by names, so that no matter what a player is called they will remain banned/whitelisted/oped/etc on servers. People have come to us with a lot of questions about this service so here’s a few FAQ about name-changes:

If I ban a player “Foo” and he changes name to “Bar”, will he stay banned?
    Yes. Same for whitelisted players and oped players. They also keep their inventory, pets, statistics and everything they own on a server.

Can I steal somebody’s name? Can I call myself “Dinnerbone” too?
    No. I am Dinnerbone and names are still unique. You cannot have the same name as another player, they will have to change their name for you to be able to take it.

How will this work with mods? What about my custom stuff on this one modded server?
    Ask your mod maker/server owner. They should be able to support this system easily, but we aren’t responsible for mods or servers!

Can I already change my name? Where do I go? Will it cost? How often can I do it?
    We will enable name changing when we feel that enough users are using 1.8 or higher, so that servers have time to switch to the new player formats. We do not have any details on how name changes will be performed or any restrictions that will be required to actually perform a name change. We want it to be easy and freely available, but we also don’t want people changing their name every 5 minutes!

So where do I change my name?
    Read the previous answer!

I’m a server owner, what do I have to do when I update to 1.7.6?
    Nothing, really. The server will update itself, but it’s entirely possible that it may require your input if it finds an issue (nonexistant players, for example). If your server fails to start then check the log, otherwise it’s ready to play!

Is this compatible with 1.7.5?
    No, sorry. We had to change the protocol to support the new player formats.

I’m scared. I need a hug.
    Aww, here you go little guy. *hug* Don’t worry, it’s not as scary as it sounds.

This pre-release also comes with a lot more Minecraft Realms improvements, crash fixes, optimizations and general bug fixes.

Report bugs here:

// The Minecraft and Minecraft Realms teams

2. Pieface0896

Pieface0896

I think name changes on this server will just mess things up because name changes on this server are a perk for people who buy ranks. If the server updated then almost everyone will be using the name changer.

3. Warrior9

Warrior9 Donator

Copied and pasted off Mojangs website.

gj

4. AbzillaPower_

AbzillaPower_

yes your right i did this thred just incase some people cant be stuffed onning minecraft and looking at the updates or the actualy mojanbg website xD

5. StreakyOrange

StreakyOrange Donator

Hopefully you can only change your name once a month.

AbzillaPower_ likes this.
  6. EliteShadowMiner

EliteShadowMiner dead Donator

Minecraft:
    EliteShadowMiner
    Mojang.com was invented for a reason.

7. AbzillaPower_

AbzillaPower_

and the forums is made for a reason

8. RockoR

RockoR new bagel

Minecraft:
    RockoR
    And I'm pretty sure the Server Discussion is labeled "Server Discussion" for a reason as well...

AbzillaPower_ likes this.
  9. ClemensMine

ClemensMine

Are you guys on period or something or why so bitchy for no reason? Can't wait for namechanges, but it will be confuseing if all doing this at once :D

10. EliteShadowMiner

EliteShadowMiner dead Donator

Minecraft:
    EliteShadowMiner
    But if everyone opens up their MC on the update page theres a FAQ link right there

11. AbzillaPower_

AbzillaPower_

what if somepeople take so long for their mc to open they can easily go on forums and see this, done

12. l_DarkMusic_l

l_DarkMusic_l

Minecraft:
    hi
    Gj abzilla