My take to getting staff

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Stolas, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Don't read if you're sensitive to being impatient and/or don't like being told off.

Hello everyone,

As you know, I was promoted as of May 28th, 2017. In my previous thread, I said something about my story and how I got here. I didn't exactly how I got here, and why I decided to continue pushing it.

This is to help you.
    If you're interested in getting staff at all, this is important.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think it's a sit and back thing, honestly, I thought if it that way, so this is from personal experience. I got impatient, and slowly grew more and more impatient. It's human.

Patience. Time. Heart. That's the key. A lot of people don't have the heart to reapply. It's really sad to see this, it's happened to 1 of my friends, we applied the same time, same day and all, both applications got denied.

This was in 2015. 2 years later, I was the only one to get accepted. How?

She didn't have the heart, and really, she didn't care for learning and adapting. If you don't have the heart, you don't have the patience you need. This doesn't apply to everyone, a few people do get lucky. They get the right timing and they get accepted in a couple of days.

Why didn't you just give up?
    Luckily, I had people that supported me through out the way. All of you come from the forums, and a few of you still help me to continue pushing for my goal.

If you have the right friends, you can do anything. You can achieve what they might not be able to, but they WILL give you that boost you need.

I didn't give up because I truly wanted it. I didn't give up once. I lacked some confidence, sure, but that didn't stop me from picturing myself as what I wanted to be. I wanted to be it so bad, to the point I started having dreams of being a Helper. Sounds cheesy, yes. I posted applications whenever I felt good about myself.

Why did you even apply for staff, and why should I?
    I applied for staff because I realized that they needed staff. This is lame, sure, but overtime, I also realized that I was bored of not being able to serve the community without purpose. I wanted to be able to do something useful. I finally feel as if I am able to serve the community with a purpose, and that I am doing it accurately.

The people that stop you aren't your friends.
    Well, what do I mean by that exactly? You're going to have roadblocks regardless. No matter your heart or confidence, people will always bash you for being a "tryhard" and of course, you'll get it as a staff member. You see, you can't exactly be sensitive if you're going to be a staff member.

If people are putting you down, saying that you're a bad person so you can't be a Helper,
    • A: Who are they to judge who you are? They can't just put a title on you and say that you're someone that's not someone who would be a good helper. Everyone will always have an equal chance, take my word for it.
    • B: Who cares what they think? Sure, they're entitled to their own opinion, but their opinion doesn't matter when you have passion. If nobody believes in you, then let's say I believe in you, and I have my open arms for you to join the team.
    For now, that's all I have, and I really hope you apply for staff.

Remember, be patient. Take your time on your application. The guide is incredibly helpful, as long as you use it to your advantage.

Good luck if you do decide to apply!

2. Smogg

Smogg ex-m.o.d Donator

truly inspiring

3. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I don't know what you tried to get with this thread but all I got was this over-dramatized and slightly arrogant vibe. You're just telling us why you got it and others didn't, and how you need to "have a heart" for it. Imagine I was trying to get staff and didn't know what to do. Do you think that "just use your heart" would help me realize what I was doing wrong the whole time? No, that's just annoying.

I know you're really excited about it but there's no "secret key to getting staff" and it's not that big of a deal anyway.
    You basically just need to show them who you are, that you have the time and will to be active and do stuff on the server, that you're not stupid and can make good decisions, that you can cooperate with others, that you're a nice person and that you're not going to cause too much trouble. If they need more staff, they might contact you. That's it.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to be passionate about staff, I've been there too. I just want to let you know how the things you're saying look like from my perspective.

Also, ignoring people's negative criticism isn't a good thing, especially if it's coming from your friends. Listening to what people have to say and being open to other opinions is very important in life, even if you don't like what you're hearing.

ItsJerry, ItsKaos, Pancho and 36 others like this.
  4. Joeyy

Joeyy Silly Goose of the year 2022 Donator

Minecraft:
    jeowee
    If you ask me, there isn't exactly a "key" to getting staff, of course there are conditions. You should probably have a nice record on warnings, bans etc, and meet the requirements before replying, but there really isn't a "key."

I can't really say much else, but follow what Mint said. The only thing I would change regarding this is about criticism from your friends. There'll be people who are proud of you for getting staff, but there'll also be those who turn on you, I learned the hard way.

People, honestly, I think the true option is to just be honest, and write what you think is the best when writing your application. Don't try act all cool, and honest when you're applying, it sounds cliche, but be yourself.

It's a good idea to write these threads, but at the same time, everybody is different.

5. Contemptible

Contemptible | Former Mοd | Donator

Minecraft:
    --
    I think the key is to be yourself ;)

Nice thread though

6. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Although I do agree with you, it's rather "harsh" the way I understand it. In no means possible was this is to be arrogant, in fact the perfect inverse. My aims were to assist people, not to make me sound like a selfish brat. Although I do accord with you, it's rather "harsh" the way I understand it. In no means possible was this is to be arrogant, in fact the perfect inverse. My intentions were to assist people, not to make me sound like a selfish brat.

This was my experience. This is how I did it. Everyone will have different takes on it, including you.

When you say to "embrace" the haters, that's just now how I reckon it should be managed. I think everyone should believe in themselves and find the people that earn them feel secure and positive. I don't usually listen to the haters and tell them to continuously make fun of my quirks.

In addition to that, I think I will be editing the title to something more appropriate.

Also would like to say that I meant to differentiate "valid" criticism from unnecessary destructive criticism.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    tence3000 and TheMint like this.
  7. PopeUrbanII

PopeUrbanII deus vult Donator

Minecraft:
    ComradeMessiah
    There was nothing "harsh" about what he said.

kiraa, dreamvlle and Username like this.
  8. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions :grin:

9. PopeUrbanII

PopeUrbanII deus vult Donator

Minecraft:
    ComradeMessiah
    Mint was stating his opinion too.

Bearington, kiraa, t3mptr3s and 2 others like this.
  10. Witha

Witha Mandy 11.28.21 <3 Donator

Minecraft:
    Witha
    Me xD

tence3000 likes this.
  11. Haruld

Haruld Prodigal Son Donator

Minecraft:
    Haruld
    There is no true key to getting staff, some get it days, others months, some even years... if you truly want to stand out, follow the rules, report rule breakers, and just be a good member of the community.

ItsJerry, Taay, kiraa and 9 others like this.
  12. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

I get what you're trying to say. If you're passionate and patient then you're most likely to get what you want
    but like
    It's like a job interview. Good image, good impressions are the ones that really make you get it. However there are, what we call, biased promotions
    Since we are not a professional site or even a business, promotions like that happen quite a lot. If you have good relations with staff then they might prefer you over someone random, simply because they know you better. So luck is also a factor.
    Also if you're active, if you ACTUALLY help the server by making reports or helping people are also "keys" in getting it. That's how I got it basically (and I was biased yea not gonna lie lol but at least I did my job fine)
    TL;DR being a logical god damn person with decent activity and some good relations can make you staff

kiraa, dreamvlle, tence3000 and 2 others like this.
  13. aund

aund aund / wthf Donator

Minecraft:
    wthf
    Inspirations :,)

14. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    I feel like everyone is driving this thread into something it's not. Although you may disagree with me, because a lot of you do, this was my take.

It's my experience. I am advising people to use it if they too want a good chance of getting here. A lot of you are constantly saying that "there is no key", and yes, I agree that there is no key, but I have:
    Therefor I have already corrected myself. The replies are always important, read before ya post sometimes, ya know?

I get if you're trying to state your opinion on the matter, and yes, that's great, but a lot of the opinions aren't even with the basis of the thread, it just looks like they read the title and were instantly writing a reply.

I'm not telling people how to apply nor am I telling them basics. I am telling people in-depth stuff. If they're passionate, they already know the basics. More times than not, they're the ones constantly re-applying. That was me, so I am practically just praising them (if you will) for their work, not just that, I am boosting other players' confidence by posting this thread. I am not asking anyone to reply what they think, I am asking people to continue being strong and if they're not already, work for what they want and achieve it.

Again, I don't want this thread to misdirect itself into something it's not.

tence3000, ANumber2Pencil and Dest like this.
  15. JJWolfGaming

JJWolfGaming Donator

Minecraft:
    JJWolf245
    This is very helpful. If my current application gets denied (even though in my opinion I was passionate and put effort into it), I will use this to help me out. Thank you very much.

16. MeatBoy0

MeatBoy0 Donator

Minecraft:
    MeatBoy0
    Lmao this is way too much for getting staff on a minecraft server. if you want to get staff its easy dont get banned dont get warned and help people thats literally everything you need to do

17. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    I did the complete opposite of that and got staff.

--
    I feel this is more a confidence booster thread. That is by no means a bad thing, but we all have "ways" we got staff. This is more for the people who are yet to be accepted after some time C:

18. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Finally someone understands the point of this thread.

dreamvlle, tence3000 and aund like this.
  19. Amore

Amore Lil dyl Donator

Minecraft:
    OG TRACTS
    edate staff members howtoijahstaff kek

Lone, kiraa, Meme and 4 others like this.
  20. GYPTIAN

GYPTIAN Azza Donator

Minecraft:
    GYPTIAN
    HAHA

Amore and tence3000 like this.