Kitten Situation

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Flurried, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Flurried

Flurried Philip Defranco Stan Donator

Disclaimer: I will be discussing topics that may be found disturbing by some.

So my female cat got pregnant by her brother.

My mother wants to get her spayed, which means that the kittens would be aborted as well. Because they're inbred, there's a higher chance of complications and defects in the kittens. If they're kept until full term and delivered, there may be some sick ones.

That being said, I'm not sure I want my cat to have the abortion. I did research on inbred kittens to see what I'd be getting myself into. Some litters are born without any problems, some are born with serious illnesses and die within hours of the birth. It's really just a gamble. I also researched how spaying a pregnant cat goes down. Basically, the uterus is taken out of the female and the kittens are left to die or are killed. Also, after a spaying abortion, the mother cat may also look for her babies. Calling for them. Searching everywhere.

I know it's just a bunch of kittens and the kitten problem is huge, but I'd feel like such a monster for killing my cat's babies. Not only that, but there's a chance that she'll have to go through the grief of losing the kittens.

I'm not really sure whether or not I want to go through with it. One the one hand, I won't be contributing to the kitten problem and I won't have to risk having sick kittens born. But on the other hand, I'd have to deal with the guilt of killing them.

Any thoughts?

2. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    I reckon try to birth them.
    If they die after being born, then the mother knows what happened.
    If they have defects, then they're unique.

But in the end, it's up to if you can or cannot handle the kittens.
    Be realistic; if you're not in a mental, physical, or financial state capable of handling potentially defective kittens, then abortion is the best option.

Braixen, ZeusV, PhantomStar and 4 others like this.
  3. stempunk

stempunk #1 Premium Donator

Minecraft:
    stempunk
    Most people don’t realize that cats are an independent animal, and have feelings. Having a mother not knowing where her offspring are can be devastating. And your cat very well might be grief-stricken. I reccomend birthing them, as @Unprepossessing said, it is better for a mother to realize what happened, and not be “as grieved”. It could still hurt but not nearly as bad.