Guilt and how we cope with it

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Syrian, May 4, 2016.

1. Syrian

Syrian Former Mod x2 Donator

Minecraft:
    Syrian_
    I know I may seem like a person to be too serious about things or rarely post anything that the average person would want to read, but I am feeling that helping people with their problems is something I enjoy, and reaching out to others feels like it's the right thing to do.

For those that have recently been troubled because they are feeling guilt or shame for actions they have done, I decided to research into the topic and compile together a summary of the information I collected and hopefully set people off to a better path.

Normally, there is always at least once in our lives that we make a mistake and we feel terrible for what we did. Sometimes even a simple apology isn't enough to satisfy us.

Accept yourself for who you are and don't let flaws bring you down
    Even if mistakes seem to be terrible, everything happens for a reason. One mistake does not outweigh the many good things you have done in your life. No matter how flawed your character is, there is always room for improvement. Your mistakes define who you are, and you should accept yourself. Mistakes are what build your character, and they teach you right from wrong. Let them build you up rather than strike you down.

Seek help

It's not abnormal to feel alone at times. We all need someone to fall back on when we're beaten down on. Knowing that someone has your back will always help. You should never be alone to face your problems. If you have done wrong and feel you need to be punished, you shouldn't hurt yourself. Be gentle to yourself if you are to be gentle to others. If you have honestly admitted your mistake, taken full responsibility, and agree that you won't make that mistake again, there is no need for punishment.

Help from a loved one or an experienced therapist could help relieve stress. Speaking to a third party person about your problems may help, and it is always healthy to let your emotions out.

Value yourself. Listen to yourself.
    You above all should be someone you respect. You have an inner voice. You should treat this inner voice as another entity, because it is a voice and it needs someone to listen to it. Question your other self, and put yourself in a scenario... Your other self has done the exact same terrible thing to you, and they feel terrible about it. They ask for your forgiveness... You most likely would forgive them, and you would understand that it was a mistake and you can move on from it. While they say the worst judge of our character is ourselves, try to be strong enough to see that you aren't as bad as you think.

Stop apologizing so many times

This sounds ironic, but the more you apologize to the person, the less meaningful each apology is. You are not perfect, and you will obviously make a mistake at some point in your life. If a friend of yours expects you to be perfect and is not willing to forgive you, then they're not someone you should keep pursuing forgiveness from. A friend is someone who wouldn't leave you behind, and would always be there to help you when life hits hard. If a friend is going to let you suffer, are they a true friend? If a friend is willing to leave you behind for a simple mistake, then they aren't your friend.

Hopefully this helped to anyone who is experiencing these problems. If anyone is feeling upset or depressed, feel free to PM me. I am always an open book.

Have a great day/night, and stay positive!

-Sirius

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Denisvenom9

Denisvenom9 》Faction Veteran《,

Minecraft:
    nippls
    Ty. This helped a lot

KaiserVenom and Syrian like this.