Getting worse at drawing

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Dead, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Dead

Dead Donator

Now, quick note before i write this, I honestly do not think i am too good at drawing, and never have been. When i try really hard to get it looking nice, it looks bad. My drawings usually appear more childish and have no detail or life in them, also usually looking like a cartoon made by the artists at cartoon network, which i find cringey. No matter how hard I try, it just doesn't look good, and never has.

Now, when I look back at my old drawings lying around all over my room, they look quite neat, when i go take a look at my new stuff, it looks more childish and a lot worse, I originally thought this was because i have more expectations now. So i put a new drawing next to an old one that are relatively the same. The new one looks worse.

Keep in mind I don't draw with color, why? Because it looks messy to me. The only time i use color is to separate more significant things from the ones that aren't, or to show at least a little splash of color. When I draw in mostly color, all that comes out is some sort of mess, I don't know how people manage to make it look good. So I stick to black and white, like a tradition I have.

Another note is I draw on paper, not with MS paint or anything.

I just can't get it right anymore. On my last problem, google popped up a lot, so before I made this, I went on google and most of the results are for digital drawing, not on paper. The majority of answers said rendering needs work, well, I cant render paper....

I feel like I should just carry a laptop and use gmod to "draw" instead because I'm just generally better at posing on gmod, weird?

2. AreThreeSeaTea

AreThreeSeaTea Donator

Minecraft:
    R3CT, Jacky19
    I feel your pain. Im terrible at drawing, but over the years I've gotten really into graphic design. Much better than drawing in my opinion, yet it can be complex and times, depending on what you are trying to create. Have you ever tried digital art?

3. Dead

Dead Donator

If you count gmod posing and post processing as digital art, I guess I have.

4. AreThreeSeaTea

AreThreeSeaTea Donator

Minecraft:
    R3CT, Jacky19
    That can be considered as digital art

5. Dead

Dead Donator

heres my steam profile if you wanna take a look or if you have an account, maybe add me

most of the posing is in screenshots, but my best i usually edit and try getting into artworks

6. _Frizzy

_Frizzy

Take a photo of some of your art, I'm not exactly a good artist by any stretch of the imagination but I still might be able to help. And if you really want, I would like to see your old art because I don't really believe you can go backwards in skill level.

7. Dead

Dead Donator

unfortunately, the mac's webcam makes a flash when it takes a photo, and it cant be turned off, so when i take a picture, it just gives me a big white blur

8. thesaber903

thesaber903 Mabelen / Editor Donator

Right! I'm A ARTIST and I know what's going on for you.

Get a reference from Google images of what you want to draw.
    Do the outline first then do the inside. It makes it easier. The more you practice! The more You'l be good at!
    Here's one of mine.
    Foxy~Senpai 2.png

9. Dead

Dead Donator

I always outline first, and nice work

10. thesaber903

thesaber903 Mabelen / Editor Donator

Thx!

11. AreThreeSeaTea

AreThreeSeaTea Donator

Minecraft:
    R3CT, Jacky19
    Yeah I got an account, yet unfortunately steam is blocked as I live on sight to a school as my parents are working there (free rent, power water ect so thats why) I'll pick up some data for my pocket wifi to check it out after school, also if you wanna see my work, feel free to check out my thread at:

Otherwise, here are some other edits I've made throughout this year.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Dead

Dead Donator

The other edits came through as an [​IMG]