Feminism

Discussion in 'Off-Topic / Spam / Memes' started by Good_Dog, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Good_Dog

Good_Dog Donator

Minecraft:
    BannedOffender
    I've read alot of questions feminists have for men, and in all the feminist videos, most videos seem to be bashing triggered feminists.

I have a real question, what is feminism? Like, in my mind, it would be to make the world more feminine.
    I always thought the world I was born in, to be fair and equal, so i wont ask qurstions that suggest the world is fair. I would love to read the opinion of an actual feminist, but do they even exist? Or is it just a phrase used to spark argument and debate?

2. Katerina

Katerina Former Mοd Donator

google is your friend lol

3. Joeyy

Joeyy Silly Goose of the year 2022 Donator

Minecraft:
    jeowee
    Basically feminism/feminists are a group of people who fight to ensure women have equal rights, some of the work they do is good, admittedly, it's just that the people who think females should dominate etc are seen as psycho etc.

So you've got your good feminists and your bad feminists.

safoya299, TheMint, Good_Dog and 5 others like this.
  4. Good_Dog

Good_Dog Donator

Minecraft:
    BannedOffender
    All I can find on google are response videos, that lack a stable debate. Most of the results are also troll videos.

But, didn't females always have a measure of control in society? Like, historical speaking, the joke has been. Let me ask my wife. For good reason, I thought

I originally thought, feminism, was intended to encourage women to step above traditional "female role", to pursue careers they desire, such as becoming a welder, a carpenter, a fire fighter, an astronaut, or a doctor *which is fairly dominated by males in the workforce* but, I've only found videos bashing males, or insulting masculinity.

In my welder/fabrication class of 2005, i was one of 5 males, and there were only 3 females in that class. Of wich, i never pursued a career in welding, 1 girl did, and 1 quit, and the other girl became a heavy duty mechanic. So, it had never occurred to me in my life, that the world was gender disproportionate to the workforce.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
    Mookey and TheMint like this.
  5. j0sef

j0sef resigned Donator

radical feminism is just about the only type you can see now a days.

6. Praetor

Praetor Dead| Female Rodent Donator

Minecraft:
    PraetorOfRome
    No, quite the opposite actually. Women couldn't even vote in the US until 1920, which was less than a century ago.

Throughout history, society has been mostly patriarchal (meaning that men hold the power). For example: Has there ever been female pope? No. It is blatantly obvious that there will never be because Catholicism is a patriarchal religion.

Look at the Victorian Era (1837-1901). Women were expected to marry as soon as possible, and attended schools where things such as cooking were taught whilst men attended schools where actual academics were taught.

Even today this type of patriarchal system persists. In Saudi Arabia, the practice of polygamy, where a man marries multiple wives, is legal. Women can't drive and can't even leave the house without permission from a man. Although one might say that Western Civilization might be clean of this, the Church of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) continued the practice of polygamy until sometime around the turn of the 20th century.

Even today, a woman makes on average 80 cents per every dollar that a man makes.

Racism is another prejudice similar to Feminism in the sense that it is subtly integrated into our society today. It is impossible to completely wipe out beliefs even if they are shunned by the vast majority of people and even by the law. Centuries of following these societal expectations have not left us entirely; we are still recovering.

You are correct about this- feminists are currently being portrayed as skewed and downright crazy. Most of these videos you are referring to purposefully neglect to show the context of the situation and instead simply show a person's (who happens to be a feminist) overreaction.

Calling every feminist crazy or radical is the equivalent of statements such as "All white people are racist" and "All Muslims are terrorists". These types of generalizations are at the core of prejudice, which unfortunately is part of the way that us humans act.

7. vipa

vipa the hornace of death Donator

The goal that actual feminists want to achieve, could come under the terms of egalitarians, who are people who want equal rights were absolutely everyone. To me, the term "feminist" should be replaced by "egalitarian."

Mookey, Praetor and Good_Dog like this.
  8. Good_Dog

Good_Dog Donator

Minecraft:
    BannedOffender
    I do believe, that ISIS, makes radical feminist look good. Like, I don't mean to spread islamophobia, but, the new caliphate is not beyond kidnapping girls from schools to be used as gifts or items for men of the new regime to keep as gifts. That,most extreme religion would define via old testaments, a womans "place" at a mans side in a household. I wish we could just invent a new religion that promotes equality, fairness, love and a history of new equal culture. Ya know, like pastafarians, but not sooo weird xD also, I do not believe the wage gap applies to gender. In Canada, wages change based on ability, and likeability. I've met women, who earned less money than me and were employed for several years, but contributed significantly less than myself on a monthly to the company. Ive also know other women, who worked more than me but, were employed for less time and, were paid a higher wage than me. When I asked about that, simply put, they took more initiative, the wage gape, is between competitive people. Not males and females.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. vipa

The "wage gap" is merely part of basic economics. Companies simply choose to pay more productive workers higher income than less productive ones, to increase incentive to work more. Not only that, but at the highest job levels, more men are working in that area than women. The data collected for the wage gap argument simply twists the basic principles of economics.

KaiserVenom and Good_Dog like this.
  10. Praetor

Praetor Dead| Female Rodent Donator

Minecraft:
    PraetorOfRome
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying; Men have, on average, hold more powerful jobs than women which in turn causes a wage gap. That's the largest cause for the wage gap, however there are also other factors.

Good_Dog likes this.
  11. Good_Dog

Good_Dog Donator

Minecraft:
    BannedOffender
    But, please don't imply, that a company would hire a boy and a girl at entry lvl positions, and simply pay the female 80 cents less than the male. Because, that is all some kids might hear and assume.

12. vipa

But people refer to wage gap as being patriarchal. It isn't, just because more men hold more higher level jobs, doesn't mean there's inequality. Not to mention many people using the wage gap argument to say women are oppressed, etc. The main argument for wage gap is that in the same job, women earn 20 cents less than men, which is untrue.

ItsJerry and KaiserVenom like this.
  13. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    I wonder why...

14. DiblyyIsGone

DiblyyIsGone um what happened Donator

Minecraft:
    Diblyy
    Feminism= The thought that man and woman should be equal, whethere through the wage gap (THAT DOESNT EXIST) or any other thing.

Tagging people I agree with
    @TheMint
    @j0sef (While radical isnt the only kind, its the one that tends to be in the media)

15. Joeyy

Joeyy Silly Goose of the year 2022 Donator

Minecraft:
    jeowee
    Exactly the case, even in recognisable countries today such as Bangladesh and India, women are still seen as second-class. Now, my post previous to this on the thread probably saw me as one of those pyscho feminists yada-yada supporting dominance etc.

I'm just going with what everyone should go for, equal rights for everyone.

But going back to the subject, as Prae was saying, sexism is still a fully living and breathing thing, and sad thing is it probably won't die down soon. So, roll out feminists.

Personally I agree with their message (I would not call myself a feminist.), but of course I don't agree with the kind that escalate it to the point were they in a way abuse their gender, and a prime example of this is Hugh Mungus.
    A dad joke, OH BOY THAT'S DOWN RIGHT OFFENSIVE RIGHT THERE.

But this is where I'll drop out, don't wanna start any drama or serious debate.

Praetor and Kaylyn like this.
  16. MeatBoy0

MeatBoy0 Donator

Minecraft:
    MeatBoy0
    Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope. Feminists are scary man they are scary they make me shit myself dude those people who bash them have some serious guts dude.

Mookey likes this.
  17. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    They just bark, they don't bite :')

MeatBoy0 likes this.