EULA sale

Discussion in 'News' started by ItsHarry, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenon

Xenon Admin Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    XenonHD
    Any people that feel the need to argue over the topic more, take it to PMs. Any points of this sort have been deleted. No need for it here as Harry is merely informing you of what will happen. It is not realllyyyyy his choice.

Sofie, Praetor, Tomyz and 9 others like this.
  2. Kxmiy

Kxmiy ◤(¬‿¬)◥ | Helper Staff Member Helper

Minecraft:
    Kxmiy
    I wouldnt complain in the situation because that would only be making it worse.

Actually, minecraft was not made to be a 'pay2win' , but be thankful mojang finally got off their multi millionaire ass and enforced this

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Kattana and JULTAR100 like this.
  3. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Mr. Mod+ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    Just so people realize:
    Wether or not J&H agree with the EULA is irrelevant. What matters is that Mojang requires them to comply. And sense it's Mojang's game, they get to make the rules.
    There are two options:
    a.) Comply with the EULA and get creative with ways to make money.
    b.)Dont comply, and run the risk of being shut down.

Neither of those options had anything to do with liking or hating the EULA.

JULTAR100 likes this.
  4. Pugnata

Pugnata Pug the Pug Donator

Minecraft:
    Pugnata
    Well, nothing more to say than shit

5. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    As much as I dislike Mojang's decisions, it's not up to us to decide. If we don't comply, the server will be blacklisted, and not just on 1.9.3.
    Mojang are not stupid, they will find ways to block the server even if it's still running 1.8.
    If nothing works, they can always send a Cease & Desist letter or even take it to court.

6. JULTAR100

JULTAR100 Donator

alot of server's have plan's to do this
    how come you are not going to do the same??
    is it because they are doing something this time around??

also forgot to say before well done for taking this situation in a mature matter... unlike others

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. Andyy

Andyy mod | sad Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    sadandy
    A server-wide soft currency system to allow players to purchase perks / rank up through an in-game shop would be a nice alternative to having players purchase it with real-life money, and plus, it follows the EULA.

Kocheh likes this.
  8. ItsHarry

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    Plans to do what? Not comply?

Haruld and Cingle like this.
  9. TheHolyRobber

TheHolyRobber Donator

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they could easily backport the blacklist to every single version that has multiplayer if they really wanted to.
    It's a bit extreme on Mojang's part, though. Now, I shall describe a relatively unique scenario, as far as I am aware, that should explain my point that you will run into at the end of this post.

Alright. Let's say Joe sees his friend Bob playing on this really cool server (we'll call it WhateverCraft.)
    Now, Joe decides that he wants to play on WhateverCraft. So, he purchases Minecraft, sets up his profile, and excitedly goes on Minecraft so he can start playing on WhateverCraft.

Much later, this thing called the EULA (Yes, I know what it is!!!) comes along. It basically means that WhateverCraft can no longer sell overpowered diamond swords to players for real-life money, or any non-cosmetic items (items that do not give Not in-game money, but actual money that you use at the store (or a credit card, or whatever.)

WhateverCraft decides to take the slightly unsafe path and completely ignore the EULA. Many other servers do the same thing because they're not scared of Mojang/Microsoft. But, much, much later, Mojang (or Microsoft) decides to crack down hard on these servers. They add a server blacklist, and they make it effective in the next update/snapshot release.

At some point, Joe has to update to the new version of Minecraft, the one that has the blacklist. He doesn't realize that he can continue playing on his favorite server if he just stays on the previous version. (Of course, that probably wouldn't work for long.)

Because Joe only bought Minecraft to play on this one server, and he doesn't know that he can just stay on the version that doesn't have the blacklist, he has no reason to play Minecraft anymore. Thus, he ends up quitting the game.

Now, my point is: if enough people do this, then there is a possibility that eventually, blacklisted servers, and maybe even other servers in general, will die out completely, or very close to completely. I wish Mojang had some other way of fixing this, but it is beginning to seem like this is getting to a point of no return. At least, that is my opinion.

Nobody has to agree with this if they don't want to. I just figured I would share my input on this whole situation. Congrats to J&H for actually handling this the correct way, not just being completely disobedient like some of the other servers are.

10. JULTAR100

JULTAR100 Donator

yeah, in the way that other server's are doing it

people claim that if you do not update to 1.9.3 the blacklist will not be there
    how come you decided to comply while alot of server's are not??

also if in the end they are correct and nothing happen's
    will the stuff be back in the shop??? like when the EULA was first anounced

11. ItsHarry

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    If you read what I wrote in the original post, you'd know that what you're saying about 1.9.3 is no longer true. They removed the blacklist code in the 3rd pre-release version of 1.9.3. Like I said in an earlier post, Mojang are not stupid, they are going to find a way to block the servers.

12. JULTAR100

JULTAR100 Donator

ok thank you
    and if you do not mind can I put your attention to this
    it is sort of on topic with this
    http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/question-about-eula-kits.91249/#post-868017

13. John_0696

John_0696 Johnora the Airbender Donator

Minecraft:
    John_0696
    Okay, even though i already posted in this thread, I wanted to come out and say something about this whole EULA deal.

Even though ive seen some people reacting not so pleasantly to this thing that Mojang is doing, I know people payed real money to buy kits and perks and stuff like that because they wanted them, but there is actually one thing that i feel needs to be said.

Imagine if you were in the Mojang Developer's shoes. Imagine if you created a Video game right with a Server based multiplayer, and people can create servers for the public to play on, Imagine however, that you start finding out people are using your game to make a profit for themselves, By selling your game's content like Really good weapons for real money so that these random users can make profit off of your game. When clearly, they are not supposed to be taking your game's items and using it for Monetary income.

Wouldn't you be angry that People are making money off of your game? wouldnt you be angry that somebody out there is using your game's content to sell at very high prices so they can make money for themselves? and then you get the blame card from angry parents for letting people do this when they were never supposed to?

If i were in Mojang's position, I would be Extremely pissed.

I feel that what mojang is doing is a good thing, We dont need Johnny 12 year old profiting off of your game by selling overpowered items for say 100 dollars anymore.

However i can understand that Jerry and Harry dont like what they do at times, and they put money they earn from donators towards actually keeping the server up and running. That is what they are supposed to be doing with there money. Some people however dont do that, and its good that Mojang is actually doing something about it. Most companies dont really give a crap when somebody does that with a game. Im happy Mojang actually listens to what there Community has to say and others should too. :)

HCchicken and JULTAR100 like this.
  14. knife

knife 》Faction Veteran《 ~Jag [God] Donator

Yeah but this will cause less people to donate to the server and eventually the servers will die off because it's expensive to run and stuff

15. Unprepossessing

Unprepossessing Spoopy Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    Tbh it's annoying how blatant EULA-breaking servers had to ruin it for all.

Yeah I get we are "going against the EULA" but not to the point as other servers.

Servers are, sadly enough, the best part of Minecraft.

Thus starts the ending of the main core of Minecraft :l

Props tho for not being defensive on your stance & actually changing to comply. As much as I hate the change this is indeed a step in the better direction

hmj likes this.
  16. GalaxyPuffz

GalaxyPuffz (ノ≧ڡ≦) Donator

Minecraft:
    GalaxyPuffz
    This has been stated by a lot of the bigger server owners. However, I believe JH to be in the clear because of how complaint the server already is, and how much the server isn't really "pay to win" orientated. The server (obviously) will have some sort of decrease in profits, but there won't be any drastic decline. It's best if this server went EULA compliant anyways. They don't need to worry about Mojang breathing down their backs.

Good move Harry.

17. LivingMiner

LivingMiner

Mojang is hiding under the radar with this new update. They should become more responsive with this EULA.

hmj likes this.
  18. Wolfington

Wolfington Change your thoughts and you change your world Donator

Minecraft:
    [GOD] Dreamington_
    This is sad. Eula is ruining servers.

hmj likes this.
  19. ExodePendragon

ExodePendragon The Exodian Way

Minecraft:
    ExodePendragon
    What perks/ranks are exactly affected though? For example, Gadgets became a recent thing, and I am not completely sure if that will change as well.. Would it just be ranks with the perks? Are there perks that are not in ranks that will be removed? Do I make myself clear in these questions? Is YouTube drama the end of YouTube itself?

Wolfington likes this.
  20. Heavydirtysoul

Heavydirtysoul 14 Donator

Minecraft:
    TheRunAndGo
    Pros of the EULA enforcement
    - Mojang gets the fuckin money

Cons
    - Most popular Server may earn little revenue/shut down
    - Loss of Minecraft players
    - Loss of money for Mojang
    - Dissatisfaction of players complying within the EULA