Donating to Spread Awareness

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by hamnah, Feb 18, 2018.

1. hamnah

hamnah Hannah Donator

Minecraft:
    hamnahx
    Hello, everyone. Some of you may remember me. I want to make this thread solely in the purpose of helping people and spreading awareness, nothing else.

I left this community almost 2 years ago. If I'm not coming back (and I probably will sometimes), I want to leave a positive message.

I recently lost my brother in November. He had very advanced heart disease and many other heart-related illnesses that none of us knew about. My family has a history of heart problems, but we didn't know that my brother had any. He was 32.

A lot of people don't realize that things like this have an impact on people. They don't think about spreading awareness, because they think, "That would never happen to me". Until it does. Donating, not just to heart causes, can help spread awareness and motivate people to make sure that they're healthy. More people would go get checked for illnesses, so that they at least have a chance. Most of all, donating can save someone's life by letting scientists and doctors research and design cures.

Even just a small amount can change someone's life.

Some foundations to consider:

There are many, many more foundations that you should consider. Feel free to leave some in a comment, but above are just a few examples.

–Fluffy

Ryva, nthi, PhantomStar and 3 others like this.
  2. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I am so sorry about your family's loss.

One thing I'd like to add is, think about donating your time. Retirement centers and nursing homes can be a great place to donate time. A lot of families (at least in the US) abandon their elderly or spend very little time with them when they're in these places. Older people have so much to share and they love having people so them compassion and kindness. Even if you just sit and listen to their stories.

I sat with my elderly neighbor who was very sick. She was stressed because her children would dictate everything and she had very little control over her life. That made her more sick. I started helping her around the house so she could have a break from her children. She passed away last May but I am thankful that I had the chance to spend time with her.

hamnah likes this.
  3. Senchies

Senchies Donator

Minecraft:
    Senchies
    It's awful that you lost your brother, I couldn't imagine how that feels. I hope that you and your family are able to manage well.

My mom regularly grows out her hair enough to chop off and donate, I would like to make one little point, locksoflove is known as being kinda sketch (shit like making kids pay for the wigs!) but theres plenty of other great charities just like it. (I'd recommend something like wigsforkids.org instead, from what I've heard it's better.)

As @t3mptr3s has said above me, time donations are also extremely helpful too. I used to volunteer at an animal shelter every wednesday for a church church thing awhile ago and aside from the animals, I'm sure the wednesday employees appreciated it too lmao

t3mptr3s and hamnah like this.