Building 101: How to Build in Minecraft

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Stolas, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Timyus

Timyus The KitPvP Guy Donator

Minecraft:
    Timyus
    So we shouldn’t listen to Grian’s tips, but we should listen to yours? Seems very unfair in my opinion.

2. aund

aund aund / wthf Donator

Minecraft:
    wthf
    Basically, we're supposed to be listening to your tips.. but not Grian's? I am confusion

poe likes this.
  3. TwageTomato

TwageTomato Former Mod Donator

Minecraft:
    Twage
    Here's my view on the situation, being the experienced builder I am.

Tutorials, be they from Grian, Rizzial, Keralis, FalseSymmetry, or anyone else, should be used to help teach styles, techniques, and ideas. They should not be used to recreate displayed builds verbatim (on a block-by-block basis) for your own personal use. And you should DEFINITELY NOT take credit for the build.

That being said, it can be helpful to copy a build when following along with a video so that you can see what the tutorial-maker is doing and talking about. This copying should only be a learning step though, not the final product.

I usually get my inspiration for my enormous builds by looking at real-world architecture (Italian Duomos, English Cathedrals, Greek Agoras, etc.) to find ideas for shapes, patterns, color/texture palettes, and more. I then translate those ideas into Minecraft as closely as possible, then tweak them to add my own flavor to them.

Above all else, it takes TIME and PRACTICE to become a master of any art form, and building - yes, even in Minecraft - is one of the trickiest art forms out there.

tence3000 likes this.
  4. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    The same exact message within hours of each other? I don't get it.

Again with the derailing of threads, my "sentence structuring" has nothing to do with this thread @Saul1337.

Most of you (basically all of you) have commented about my anti-Grian policy. But please, do at least some reply reading, most/if not all of a lot of you are saying that my tips are suddenly bad because I think Grian isn't helpful, but seriously, why do you guys constantly take things personal. Grian is a good builder, that is not an argument, but in my eyes, he doesn't teach to help anymore, he teaches for his YouTube which is why I say don't watch Grian.

There are countless other channels that currently have the sole purpose being tutorials and building help.
    I suggest you watch those channels instead of mainstream channels to give yourself individuality and uniqueness across the spectrum vs watching Grian as everyone else does and getting close/if not the same outcome.

5. TwageTomato

Minecraft:
    Twage
    I'm terribly sorry Expedect, but by trying to bash someone as widely beloved as Grian, you invited the "derailing" of your own thread. If you wanted the focus of discussion to be about building and not about Grian and his YouTube tutorials (which even I still find helpful), then why mention him in the first place? By naming Grian, you introduced a loose end in your guide that had no real purpose and thus invited discussion on him.

Furthermore, I just posted a reply to your thread that I thought was very on-topic, and yet you decided to go after the derailing comments and reply to those, continuing to put the focus on Grian instead of focusing on replies that were relevant and helpful to the discussion. Ignoring those comments and removing the mention of Grian from the original post would have put the issue to rest immediately.

tence3000, poe and ItsJerry like this.
  6. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    I never bashed Grian, all I said that Grian is doing it for the views and that he isn't the same, which isn't bashing.

Except, it clearly wouldn't. Even if I had decided that not expressing anything about Grian would have been the right decision, doing so wouldn't affect future replies. It's very common to see people responding before reading replies, therefor replies as such shall still pop up no matter the circumstances.

Besides, most of this was a joke thread. 50% serious 50% joke. Again, it's not personal.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Saul1337

Saul1337

Yeah keep writing unstructured sentences, it'll surely help you out in the future as you progress in life.
    Also, I rated your thread 2/10 not just because you don't like Grian's videos but mainly because I think your tips are bad.
    My personal opinion :
    You can build without being creative, just probably not as creative as others who have a more creative mind.

Watching videos is great, not everyone like myself are great with learning from just text. Watching a visual explanation can teach me and many others in a more efficient way and create a image to work around and be inspired by.

Mods are fine to a certain point, I agree don't world edit every wall. It's lazy, but for example making a sphere well go ahead use world edit. A huge wall? Use world edit. It saves you time and makes you a more efficient builder instead of taking hours to complete one project.
    Schemtics are also a great way to transfer builds from a SP world to a server, instead of wasting time and rebuilding it from scratch.

Build all the time, yes practice makes perfect. 1 point.

Asking questions is great, I asked Grian if he could give me some tips on how to build trees and he taught me. 1 point.

Join a build team > No opinion. Never been in one, well not a serious one.

I've seen your builds and they are great btw, nothing against that. : ^)

Soupbased likes this.
  8. Yellow_Pants

Yellow_Pants Casual gamer Donator

Minecraft:
    Yellow_Pants
    Judging by the replies and the first post to the thread you made, I'd say you're trying to escape from this. It's nothing personal, nor I'm trying to attack you, but if you're going to make a thread, don't say that it was mostly a joke just because not everyone is agreeing with you. And yes, it did seem like you were trying to bash this Grian, which doesn't seem to be a bad person from what people in this thread said. To end this reply, most of the tips are not very useful, in my personal opinion.
    Please, let me know if I'm wrong on something. I don't want to go around saying things that could not be true.

Edit:
    What Saul said before, regarding this mistake, is true. When you debate with someone, making misspells like that will make you lose credibility while you try to explain your point. Just something I personally suggest you keep in mind for next time.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. Timyus

Timyus The KitPvP Guy Donator

Minecraft:
    Timyus
    So you are commanding people not to watch Grian?

btw idfk who he is

10. TwageTomato

Minecraft:
    Twage
    Grian is a renowned builder with a popular YouTube channel. He is known for his co-ownership of Wynncraft, his history of building spawns with/for J&H a few years back, and for his tutorials on his YouTube channel, though the more recent tutorials have come under controversy for an alleged decrease in quality, which is the present topic of our debate here.

RulerofMobs likes this.
  11. Soupbased

Soupbased Donator

Minecraft:
    Soupbased
    I don't understand the part about joining a build team.

Build teams usually accept people who have experience as well as skill in building. People who will be reading your guide and actually trying to take something away from it will most likely be novice builders who haven't done much in the past. I agree that they might help, but it's very likely that people that are a part of a build team are leagues ahead of your audience.

Build teams are the big leagues and should serve as an end goal rather than a starting point.

By encouraging a player to join a build team this early on as a builder, it makes about as much sense as sending a baby to college to learn about quantum physics.

"Build in a group" seems clearer and more logical.

Starixty and ItsJerry like this.
  12. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    To be fair, I wouldn't really listen to any MC'er telling me how I should build. :P

Stolas likes this.
  13. Yellow_Pants

Yellow_Pants Casual gamer Donator

Minecraft:
    Yellow_Pants
    They're just tips. You can take them or leave them.

14. MeatBoy0

MeatBoy0 Donator

Minecraft:
    MeatBoy0
    "How to build in minecraft" there is no set way to build. Minecraft was based on the idea you can do anything in terms of building. Just place blocks how ever you want and you can be a builder easy

15. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    Yeah people stated this already but yeah, I dont think we need to learn how to build and that we need to do it ourselfs, but that's just ranting.

Grian is just good for when you really need a new building style and you want to focus on that.
    Basically in this thread you are giving your own opinion about Grian, Which is fine but I think you had to have seen this coming.

16. Chiggy

Chiggy

Minecraft:
    SavageChiggy
    Personally when u build i like to look up images not videos IMAGES. Not minecraft pics but irl pics so i can have a base so i can chose a pallet and all that buy if you want to use videos thats okay but its just my suggestion.

17. thesaber903

thesaber903 Mabelen / Editor Donator

I personally don't like Grain. To me, in his 'How to not to build in Minecraft' video. It's like telling his fans not to build how noobs started. But this is great, those noob builds can become an improvement.

Stolas likes this.
  18. Yzel

Yzel Jess - Yzel Donator

Minecraft:
    Yzel
    I used to like Grian a lot, but when he was involved in the Yandere High School role play. His own content is pretty boring and his jokes aren't funny. Yeah he shouldn't be joking around if it's tips and tutorials, but it makes a better video if you use comedy.

19. Zackery

Zackery Donator

Minecraft:
    Zackeryy
    What's building?

Honestly, I learned how to build on my own, but that was only structural.. Trial and error.
    Eventually I'd go into watching random videos, or look up pictures of the style of build I want and try to do that and build off it.

Eventually I wanted to learn new styles, I went to watch Grian, and I liked his videos. I enjoyed learning from what he does and I do the whole "Inspire by and not copy" that @Saul1337 has stated a couple times.
    I've watched some J&H Videos on their Fart lands.. and kinda kept an eye out on what they were doing. They are super quick and harder to watch when it comes to building since all their fart lands videos are skipped threw a bit.. or else it would be 3 hour videos right?

Building just happens, there is no wrong or right way of building. I made a mansion out of dirt for god sakes.. and it turned out amazing. It was beautifully constructed. Ended up wiping my plot cuz I wanted to do something else.
    Learn from your mistakes, figure out techniques and try to build with an uneven amount of blocks.. so you can kinda have a door in the middle if thats what you want. I honestly like the way @Gamerrizz builds.. and he taught me a lot.

There. Are. No. Right. People.
    You can ask ANYONE about their build style.
    "Can I see your builds?"
    "Sure.. they're crap but you can see them"
    You could take their concept and make it your own.
    Lmao, I want to see a build team that is just so easy to join.. that isn't an amateur group or a group of friends.
    It not THAT simple to join a build team.
    And that's a bad thing? I'd love to live off doing something FUN.

Just build to have fun, learn from your own builds, learn from videos, learn from other people and this includes ANYONE!

RulerofMobs likes this.
  20. Frez

Frez