Building 101: How to Build in Minecraft

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Stolas, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Stolas

Stolas waffles > pancakes Donator

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Building 101
    How to Build in Minecraft

Hello, I am Expedect. Your self-proclaimed builder here on IJAH.

I am now creating a mini-series relating to building and how to do so.

I will have tips, tricks and other cool thinks to help you spice up your builds.

Today: The most simple tips & tricks
    As you may/may not have realized, building is heavily based off of creativity. If you're not creative, you can't build. Here are ways to spice up your creativity and think differently when you build.

1. Don't watch videos, specifically videos such as Grian's. "Well, why don't you like Grian" you may ask. In reality, he's just a builder. Nothing special about him from Bill sitting in his basement at 20 building server spawns for a living. All Grian does is take advantage of the fact that lots of new players can't build and teaches them HIS techniques. Learn on your own, build with friends, it will come together eventually with your own unique style.
    2. Don't use mods to help you build such as Schematica. This doesn't help your building skills, at all.
    3. Build. All. The. Time. Or at least until you're good with your building skills. Right now, I am happy with mine. They just came naturally to me, I built RP's all the time, which is probably the reason I am so good, but I met strangers who taught me things indirectly, which is a really good method of learning.
    4. Ask questions to the right people. This is pretty self-explanatory. If you find the right people, they can help you in so many ways.
    5. Join a build team. It's a very good way to learn things. Being in a group has always been a smart decision from the beggining of humanity itself. It hasn't changed. The group can help you in so many ways, by learning, growing and expanding your knowledge on things you never knew before. Hell, even managing my own build team was an experience for me, I met people that would forever change the way I build.
    Thats all I have time for today. Good luck.

Chemor, Cami and Starixty like this.
  2. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    Build Teams are sometimes unorganized and good buildteams are mainly hard to get in.
    Grians videos are just good tips mate.

Yzel likes this.
  3. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Finding the right people though

4. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    Yeah but like you said, U can learn from people and thats litterly what Grian's point is, to teach.

Yzel likes this.
  5. ShadowFlames

ShadowFlames Donator

Decent idea to change font although this one's a bit too spacious imo

6. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I honestly can say I cannot stand Grian. He is condescending. Build what you want to build. If you can get inspiration from youtube and that works for you awesome. Google pictures of real life things and ask yourself how you would convert that into a MC build. I do it all the time, I've even built Petra on another server I built. I've also built Minas Tirith. It takes patience and practice.

7. _LostSkillz_

_LostSkillz_

Hey!

I'm not a good builder for anything, I've always been on the development side of servers such as coding new plugins and etc. I've been trying to learn how to build way better to up my experiences. Thanks for the tips!

8. Saul1337

Saul1337

Grian gives great tutorials in good detail and explains what you can use to improve your build, it's all advice that you can either take or leave.
    I've worked with Grian a few times and he's a very fast and good builder, this might seem like a cocky attitude but it's like asking a professional animator to ''quickly'' make a drawing. It'll turn out really well, because they're simply very good at it.
    He has also said many times ''Don't copy, but be inspired by'' as in : If you see a nice build, just build using that style but give it your own twist.

Also, if you say ''Don't watch videos'' then why should we read your thread?
    Kind of stupid on how you talk down Grian and on watching videos on the topic, but then write your own guide.
    2/10 guide

vipa, Zackery, RulerofMobs and 12 others like this.
  9. Golembyte

Golembyte it’s rare you see me online Donator

Minecraft:
    Golembyte
    I just slap everything together and just hope for the best...

Stolas likes this.
  10. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    He points out how everyone who builds differently than him is wrong. I was searching for something for my daughter because she wanted to learn how to make stairs or something. IMO, he's the MC version of pewdiepie... and that's not a complement.

11. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    I’ve personally watched Grians videos, I watched a few of his building school videos and I’ve reccomended them to others.

His recent videos however, aren’t my favorite. I liked Grian when he was helping and inspiring, but now he’s kind of just doing it for the views vs for his subscribers.
    Basically what happened to Pewdiepie.

That’s just how I see it, and you may see it completely different, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong either.

12. Saul1337

Saul1337

In that video he shares his personal opinion on a staircase that he really doesn't like, one that ''triggers'' him so of course he would add too it ''Don't build this'' - But he never says it's wrong. Also what is that supposed to mean? The Pewdiepie of Minecraft? You mean someone that has become successful by doing what he loves and making his job out of it? You can't even compare them in any way other than that they both have successful Youtube channels.

poe likes this.
  13. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    Yeah Saul you're right, Its his opinion + If he says "Don't build it" its just a way to learn from it aswell, He shows how to build and if you want to build right you gotta follow that step.

14. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    But she isn’t wrong either.

I just see a lot of people copying vs learning despite his efforts to stop people from doing it. It’s just humanity.

Bottom line is, people (sometimes) prefer to watch his videos and learn but there will be people that will copy because their lazy, therefor defeating the purpose of his tutorials.

15. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    Copying is fine, I just know that its dumb to copy.
    He doesn't care if people copy its just not smart to copy.

16. Stolas

Minecraft:
    sugarish
    Except he does. He verbally expresses that he doesn’t want people to copy him.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  17. poe

poe Dutch Donator

Minecraft:
    Poetur
    To tell them people need to inspire.

Do you want people to copy all your builds?

retirednow likes this.
  18. Saul1337

Saul1337

Duh, but like I've said in a previous post he also said : Don't copy, but be inspired by.
    Also practice your structuring of sentences.

19. iRachel

iRachel Donator Donator

Minecraft:
    iRachel
    You guys act like it's so difficult to build on this block game. 3 years ago I probably didn't know how to build like a professional but no one needs a 101 on how to build on Minecraft or watch tutorial videos to learn how to build. Just build whatever the hell you want and grow on that. I didn't know who Grian was because he's irrelevant but on most of his videos people comment things like "He didn't say how tall to make the entrance..." and "I can't see what you built because of the angle you were in!". People obviously watch him to copy shit instead of learning from it because they're a bunch of little kids. They're not gonna remember what he teaches them because they're way too young and the way he talks isn't even clear (His voice is annoying and he uses advanced words).

[​IMG]

Stolas likes this.
  20. HulloDewe

HulloDewe Giant Hawaiian Roll

Minecraft:
    BundleOfHullo
    Grian is too fast. He also shuns people who dont build like him. A building youtuber I would recommend is Rizzial. He does building tutorials, but he does advise that you use your own style in his builds. Some people would just copy his builds like Saul1337 said. There wont be a point in tips and tricks if you never use them. Rizzial helps you by telling you to use your own style.

Rizzial's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNC1PQJvhIMVyZ0GI_Neoyg

Stolas likes this.