App revamp

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NoahMC, May 29, 2015.

1. NoahMC

NoahMC

Minecraft:
    Nnoah
    2 or 3 staff apps are accepted every month or so. With summer rolling around and the server starting to re-expand, staff are needed to moderate.

About 5-6(from what im guessing) staff are on at a time, and with the server at peak rate 2300 players, thats not going to have an enormous significance.

So what im here suggesting is that a new system is shifted into play, so that apps can be accepted more often.

Trial people.

Now I know what youre thinking (hurrdurr, noah thats the reason of the helper rank!) but if you really think about it, it isnt exactly a trial, because 90% of the time they staff staff/are promoted. I think that the limitations should be decreased, and add more variety to the staff team. Most staff are already trialed out to see if they are good to be staff, and are then given the rank. Thats not really trialing, thats just (oh we think youre great because youre active and kind) or whatever.

You should trial to actually see if they are staff worthy. Give the trial then give the end result, not let the community member wait a year or two just so they can be staff. Give them a shot, and then see if they truly are good for staff.

Benefits:
    -Lightning fast growth of staff and more moderation
    -New people, more variety.
    -Less rulebreakers
    -Less hackers
    -Less angry people
    -Less confused people and more help.

Cons:
    -More demotions

Pros>Cons

Edit: Tldr - Hire more with less limits.

Oh and to clarify things, no im not suggesting another rank. Im suggesting standards should be lowered so its easier to become staff, so more are promoted.

Leave what you think below, ive really been wanting to suggest this for a while, but never thought it completely through. Ive tried eliminating any possible worst case scenarios by bending the suggestion.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. Netherr

Netherr Mod+ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    Netherlasting/Netherr
    I'm not so sure whether you put this in the Staff Application section or a Staff member moved it. Either way, moved to the 'Suggestions' part of the forum.

LaColeman likes this.
  3. Left4Lag

Left4Lag Mod Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    Left4Lag
    I like this. :)

4. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    I think this is a good idea. A lot of people who apply for staff are actually pretty fit for the job, it's kind of hard to tell if they're going to be a good helper by just looking at their actions and their activity because you can't see what they'd do with the rank if they were to get it.
    I don't see why this can't be added, it will rather benefit the server, not really anything bad could happen over this. You could see who's truly worthy, and you could see who you can trust. There has to have been an unexpected staff member abusing their powers in the past, (if there isn't, think of the future,) and you could tell what a person with a trial rank would do with their rank if they got it.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    blok, NoahMC, Warden and 1 other person like this.
  5. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Admin | Eggnog addict Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    Hmm
    Well i still consider helper a trial rank.
    Many people dont stick around long.
    --
    I dont see a problem with the staff we have now. Reports are done within a reasonalbe mannor,
    Also a larger staff leads to more room for coruption, some thing pleagued by many servers this size.

Polki likes this.
  6. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    But when the summer comes, players will just be more and more active, the staff team is pretty small as it only consists of about 26 people.
    26 people moderating 2k+ people seems pretty hard to me.

7. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Admin | Eggnog addict Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    I would not dissagree, but Im also not in charge.
    If they need more staff, my guess is they will start hiring staff.

KrisKrikken and Polki like this.
  8. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    Disagree.

You can't really limit the [Helper] rank, as doing so would render the player to a walking board.
    That's 3/4 of the rank already.

What we truly need, imo, is more promotions within the staff.
    Probably towards Europe as America seems fine, but, I'm not Admin+ sooo, I can't say for sure.

9. Warden

Warden Donator

I agree with this, and the suggestion.
    A trial staff would be better, but I think do it as a trial helper. EG: Bob gets promoted to helper, but Is under close watch by staff and the rank isn't perminant.

We need more staff. I see people saying that the system is understaffed, and I agree, especially around Europe/Middle east/Australia.
    I love the idea of a trial rank.
    So agreed.

10. KrisKrikken

KrisKrikken

I think that accepting more people doesn't hurt, indeed. Problem is that most people are afraid that if you're not an obvious candidate, you can't be a good staff member.

This is not true, and we have a very good example. The example is @Masterchief07. With all due respect, no one really expected his promotion, just because he wasn't the most obvious candidate. What has turned out to be? Masterchief is a great helper and he is doing his job very well.

What I want to say with this, is that if you accept mature people with a good application, they'll most likely be a good staff member. This is because of the responsibilities coming with the staff rank. While being a helper, you constantly feel that you have to do good and that you have to help out. I have experienced this as well. Right now, as a normal member, I feel like I can say a lot more things than that I would say when having the helper rank, which is because without a staff rank, you feel way less responsible.

Promoting new people won't hurt, as they will automatically feel responsible.

Agreed.

SSAce, InvalidStar, NoahMC and 2 others like this.
  11. Jakesync

Jakesync Donator

Minecraft:
    Jakesync
    I agree with this.
    Staff choose their most valuable Candidate through the maturity they show. A lot of people misbehave alot, yes? Giving a trial Rank can actually prove what someone is like when they have to be responsible.

So agreed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Warden and Polki like this.
  12. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    If only you could like posts more than once.

Jakesync likes this.
  13. KokichiOma

Minecraft:
    Just.
    No.

If you misbehave on the forums, server, whatever, you shouldn't be even given a look into staff. at that immediate moment.

What you do, is chill.
    Don't go for the staff rank, but don't ignore it either.
    Pretend it doesn't apply to you.
    Have fun within the community.
    Help the community.
    That, imo, shows maturity.
    The ability to change your actions, not being able to take on the trial [Helper].
    It's easy to be a trial [Helper], it's harder willfully changing your actions.

Xandalf, Netherr, Warden and 2 others like this.
  14. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    If you want to be a staff member, this would be a way to prove what you've got a little clearer, not just sitting there and waiting for your application to be accepted. You should be able to prove what you can do and what you would do if you were to get accepted, as a real Helper.

Jakesync likes this.
  15. Jakesync

Jakesync Donator

Minecraft:
    Jakesync
    I do chill about staff ranks, I'm not applying again, probably.
    But enough of that topic.

Polki likes this.
  16. KokichiOma

Minecraft:
    And that's kinda why I disagree to the trial rank.
    It's useless.

[Helper] rank, gets two main commands, warn and check.
    Reducing that, what will the trial [Helper] do?

Adding on, some people may go, 'Oh you had a trial but were never promoted, you mustn't have been good'.
    It can make people feel bad for being instantly dismissed as a staff member, and to be honest, I don't think people would take a [Trial-Helper] seriously.
    I mean, they wouldn't have anything to sort out a situation, and they are trial staff, you can't give them the perks and always monitor them.

Which is why it takes a long time to promote staff.
    They have to trust in a member to do the right thing.
    Which is why you see the staff you do.
    They aren't all popular members, some are, but not all.
    It's because they are trusted.
    And I think, it's better to wait and have fully promoted staff rather than be impatient and have many trial staff who feel bad once they aren't fully promoted.
    Cause I think we all know that if your trial is up and you are no longer staff, you will either be: 1) Upset at loosing your rank, as staff is quite a fun experience, especially on this server. 2) Embarrassed, or at least some sort, that you were not chosen to become a helper.

17. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    You're saying that people should would be embarassed, etc, but that would just be the same thing as being demoted from staff. If they want to be a staff member, they should have the courage and calmness to deal with something like that. Also, it's not exactly useless because rather than waiting, it would speed up the process for people who actually deserve staff. People would take it seriously, and if they didn't there would be consequences.

Jakesync likes this.
  18. Jakesync

Jakesync Donator

Minecraft:
    Jakesync
    That's the same with Helper, you get picked and demoted. I honestly don't see the difference between getting demoted with any other Staff Rank.

Trials can report it to higher staff and make sure arguments etc. stay stable.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Polki likes this.
  19. KokichiOma

Minecraft:
    It is, and it can be quite hard dealing from a dismissal from the staff team, as we have seen in the past.
    I know for a fact I would have a hard time being demoted, as what, nearly 2 months in o-o, I'm already enjoying the experience so much I don't want to leave.
    You don't honestly understand until you get here, how hard it is to leave as a staff.
    It's hard enough, leaving the community as a regular member, (although I haven't tried), it would be extremely hard to leave the staff team, and having no choice is even worse.
    It may show maturity being able to handle it well, but I doubt many people would, it's just too much fun.

Xandalf and Polki like this.
  20. Polki

Polki

Minecraft:
    Polkii
    Yes, I understand what you're saying very well, but it would still be getting the best of the best. That's what the staff team needs, more staff, but the best of the best.

Jakesync likes this.