An apology to the LGBT community

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by ChargedMerc, Mar 26, 2020.

1. ChargedMerc

ChargedMerc no Donator

Minecraft:
    ChargedMerc
    Hello, I haven't been on here for a while but I'd like to talk about some things from a couple of years ago. While it did happen a while ago, time does not make anybody's actions any better. This is an apology directed to the LGBT community and anybody else affected by my actions, so only they can decide whether to forgive me or not.

I decided to instigate in posts that heavily involved LGBT. I'd then comment my opinion on these threads, which where inherently homophobic. This, as it turns out, was internalized homophobia, as the same year I'd realize and recognize that I, myself, was bisexual.

Here are some of the posts I looked for, commented on, posted or had any other type of interaction with (these aren't all of them)
    http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-lgbt.105618/#post-980147
    http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/genders-are-complicated.102988/
    http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/question-about-homophobia.99125/#post-925547

This happened many times, over and over again, where I'd say things that were homophobic, people would get mad, and I'd "apologize".
    http://itsjerryandharry.com/threads/sorry.99147/#post-925742

Then I'd do the same thing again, proving that I was only "sorry" for the backlash.

I purposefully looked for these posts as a form of interest, to see the debate and join in it myself. I'd constantly state "I'm straight", so though the memory of my motives is a bit blurry, I can tell that I wanted to convince myself that I was straight (Note: This does not make this any better. The things I said were still wrong.). I took pride in saying I was and I wanted to reinforce that.

I also used to invalidate people that identified as another gender by stating that there were only two genders and it was a fact; not an opinion.

I am sincerely sorry for the things I said. I regret them very much, and I wish I'd never said them. I took away the value of the struggles we go through everyday, whether it's with ourselves, or with the outside world.
    I'm sorry for looking for the threads as a method of entertaining myself through a debate, while validating myself. I'm sorry for apologizing and doing the same exact thing again. I'm sorry for mocking the struggle and pain that comes with being a member of the LGBT community. For thinking that "not approving" of same-sex couples was something smart. For letting my pride get in the way of me admitting that I was wrong in its moment. For invalidating people that identified as more genders than the ones I thought were put in place, and for using the fact that my transgender online friend found these jokes funny as an excuse to use them against others. I sincerely hope nobody was affected, and your anger is completely and 100% justified. I was very problematic (not only in this sector) for the years that followed and I deeply regret that, and I'm grateful that people like you educated me so that I could stop what I was doing and think. Lesson learned, 100% <3.

To everyone in the community; don't ever let anybody's homophobic/transphobic comments affect you. They do not define you at all, and they come from people who do not think like they should. Mean spirited people. Ignorant people. The list goes on. I realize some of the people affected are not on this server anymore, but this one goes out to you guys as well. Hopefully you see this and the things I said won't affect you anymore. You are loved, and your sexual preference or identity does not make you any more or less than who you are. Let's hope that in a few years, this will eventually become a better place with more understanding people who don't hate on somebody for their identities.

A little PSA; If your actions are motivated by anything that goes against the LGBT community, or a race, or an ethnicity, or anything else, they're not okay. There's a limit, and we should educate ourselves to spread more love and prevent more damage. Hate is not limited to just violently going against people. It can also manifest itself in things such as jokes, arguments, or in everyday speech. Think about yourself and the things you say and do, and reflect on them.

Anyways, I know the server is pretty empty nowadays. I really do hope people see this though, so that they can know the truth and that I take everything back. This will never repeat itself.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020