About the Rating System

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by SlapMeSenpai, Nov 3, 2017.

1. SlapMeSenpai

SlapMeSenpai

Hello,
    I go by SlapMeSenpai also on the server. I was the owner of the highest rated plot named "Archmage Tower" maybe some of you have also seen it on Jerry and Harry's second plot reviewing video. I wanted to talk about the rating system. By the time i am writing this i have a total of 118 ratings, mostly five stars and around a total of 10 - 15 three or four stars. Which is really good, and shows that i deserved the top spot. However just recently a player has rated my plot 1 stars which is not a problem. However it is obvious that it was a troll rating because the comment was "Ducks are better.". I wouldn't really care about this, however i fell to second spot just because 1 person voted 1 stars which shows how abusable the rating system is. People can just gather a bunch of friends, vote 1 on someones plot and cause it to drop a lot. Just because of 1 person, my plot with 118 total ratings with over 85% five stars has fallen behind a plot with a total of 26 ratings. Also on another great plot named "Colorful Village" i saw a rating that was 2 stars and the comment was advertising their own plot.

TL;DR: The rating system is very abusable. Rating something 1 star could cause it to automatically drop no matter how many high ratings it has. This makes trolls very powerful.

Thanks for reading, not being first doesn't really matter but for a better experience, i think people would really like a fix to this.

ItsJerry and vipa like this.
  2. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    Troll ratings are a problem on any platform that has ratings, e.g. amazon, ebay, imdb, etc. That's just something everyone has to deal with

However, you're making it sound like 1 vote is enough to ruin someone's entire plot's ranking, which is not true.

Our plugin ranks plots using Bayesian average (not visible to players). Having a higher number of total ratings does not automatically make your plot rank higher unless both plots have the same visible score (such as 4.2 or whatever)

3. SlapMeSenpai

SlapMeSenpai

I see, thanks for the reply. Sorry if i sounded too annoying. Guess the rating got me quite angry then.

4. TwageTomato

TwageTomato Former Mod Donator

Minecraft:
    Twage
    I would like to bring up the potential issue of abusing alts to tank someone's ratings. Harry, should any action be taken against someone who single-handedly ruins a plot rating using alts?

SlapMeSenpai and t3mptr3s like this.
  5. nthi

nthi Donator

ez, just vote 1 star on other people's plots to boost yours and ur set

Sakujo, Kttien and ItsJerry like this.
  6. TheWeno

TheWeno

7. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    Action can be taken if there is evidence of abuse

Sakujo, SlapMeSenpai and TwageTomato like this.