A Communal Decision - Instant Warn Policies

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ItsEchoYT, Apr 16, 2019.

?

Should the Word "Faggot" Be An Instant Warn?

1. Yes

53.1%
  2. No

46.9%
  1. ItsEchoYT

ItsEchoYT Moderator Jr. Staff Member Helper

Minecraft:
    kxwe
    We live in a world where the word "Nigg*r" has a similar demeaning idea like the word "Faggot". As the community of JH, I would like to ask you whether you believe that the word should be an instant warn or not. I am also open to listen to your suggestions about future instant warn policies, but as per the thread, lets try to keep the discussion around the word "Faggot" and its potential implementation as an instant warn word.

Answer the poll, and I am more than happy to hear your suggestions!

Best Regards,
    kxwe

Trevah and WhenYourGay like this.
  2. Amandq

Amandq lil’ moderator Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    Amandq
    I don’t think it’s a good word, and it degrades the LGBT+ community. I don’t really want to go too into depth about it as I don’t have the mental capacity to write anymore, but yeah. Not a nice word.

3. OkayFineILikeLex

OkayFineILikeLex I'm better than you at Mario Kart Wii Donator

Minecraft:
    daerbsivad
    It's one of those were it depends. Like n*gga it could depend on context. I think it should also depend on if any form of offence is taken by the word. There's no doubt it's a very demeaning and derogatory term to use to the people in the LGBT.

I'd lean towards yes, but I think context matters when it comes to this.

Also, why is this a public decision and not a staff decision?

4. CaptainJackValdy

CaptainJackValdy I got a plan to save the server, just have faith

Minecraft:
    CaptainJackValdy
    I don’t think it should be an instant ban, it should be dependant on the context. If the word is used specifically to harass a gay person when they clearly don’t find it funny, they should report it and the matter be settled. I don’t think it should be an instant warn, especially on the server that prides itself on not sensoring swearwords.

I also don’t think comparing “nigger” with “faggot” is fair, since the latter doesn’t have that much meaning anymore. It’s barely even considered an actual insult at this point, and is often used jokingly. If we’re following that logic, then all swearwords should be instantly warnable.

Trevah, ItsEchoYT, hubbo and 8 others like this.
  5. NoThisIsAmanda

NoThisIsAmanda a mess Donator

Minecraft:
    CanIHitTheJuul
    ^^ agreed. also, a lot of gay people use the word as a joke and if they aren't offended by it, then they shouldn't be warned for it lolz

6. Trevah

Trevah There's always tomorrow Donator

Minecraft:
    Trwver
    I agree that it should be an instant warning. Why? You're calling someone gay and it is very offensive. Even to a gay person, faggot is the disrespectful way of saying 'gay'. You can just say gay. Not "You faggot". You can just say "You gay" like it says the same thing. I believe that calling someone gay is an instant warning.

7. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Spectating Mom Extraordinaire ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I spoke to one of my friends who is a part of the LBGTQ+ community. They said.
    I agree with them. I find it offensive. It's not used within this community as a "joke", it's used to demean and belittle.

8. Smg

Smg TheRealMod+ | ❤12-27-16❤ | The Warrior Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    TheRealSmg
    I agree completely.

9. hubbo

hubbo quit Donator

no, as jack said, context should be put first. i say faggot to my friends all the time as a joke, even to my best friend (@Noodle_) who actually is gay. however, it could still very much be used as an insult, so context should be put first -- as with any situation.

also, most people don't actually use the historical context of 'faggot.' it's usually regarded as an empty insult or a troll. 90% who use the word don't actually try to degrade lgbt+ people. at least imo

NoThisIsAmanda and ItsEchoYT like this.
  10. lockdown

lockdown Donator

Minecraft:
    OGxLockdown
    i think everything depends on the way that you said it. eg. if you said it in order to make fun of your friends or to make a joke, that should be allowed. As far as i know, this is allowed but most of staffs don’t seem to understand that this is allowed. And if there is a staff that personally hates you, then he would do anything to make you get a warn. Which i’ve seen couple of these kind of staff.

11. ItsEchoYT

ItsEchoYT Moderator Jr. Staff Member Helper

Minecraft:
    kxwe
    Please keep your own personal experiences with staff members aside. This is about a communal decision, not your relationship with staff members.

And as per the rest of the ideas, I completely understand your viewpoints about how the word is used in a playful manner. This discussion has allowed me to see the spectrum of the community we’re in. CaptainJackValdy made a fair point that we use “Nigga” in a playful way and mean no ways to demean the ethnicity itself. Similarly with the word faggot, individuals use it as a joke and have no intentions of demeaning the LGBTQ+ community.

But similarly, we have members of the community who feel the word, regardless of the context, is negative and demeans the sexuality they belong to. If that’s the case, there should be a common ground where both parties can be satisfied because if a member says the word faggot to another person, that person may not feel happy or good about themselves even if the first person is saying it as a joke.

The polls are even. Instead of arguing about how the word is or isn’t an instant warnable offence, let’s come to a common ground where both the people who want the word to be instant warned and the people who don’t can be comfortable in the community they belong to.

Lastly, I am really happy how this discussion is going. The community really has strong and valid points about certain policies we have on JH. I would like to keep doing this - asking you guys to voice your opinions about certain policies and rules that can be implemented. What do you guys think?

Let’s discuss a way to reach a common ground where both parties are satisfied. Im hoping with this discussion, people who get demeaned by the word can reach a verdict where they too can feel comfortable in the community we’re in.

Hope this sums up the discussion about the instant warn policy!

Best Regards,
    kxwe

12. CaptainJackValdy

CaptainJackValdy I got a plan to save the server, just have faith

Minecraft:
    CaptainJackValdy
    Maybe instead of instant warn, we could give players a choice to sensor certain words instead? Some kind of command which would toggle and hide the word they find offensive if they choose to? Would that be a common ground we can agree on?

But in any case, even if offended, I think that people can still voice their concern to people using it. If they are uncomfortable with people using it, why don’t they mention it to them? I don’t think censoring it completely is a good idea.

ItsEchoYT likes this.
  13. OkayFineILikeLex

Minecraft:
    daerbsivad
    I mean, it seems viable. This server is PG-13 as stated in the rules and a profanity filter would do absolutely no harm to the server, it could possibly even attract a few players back. I'm with you here, full-on censorship is a big no-no. Where would all the 12 year olds who PvP go after losing to someone with reach amirite?

CaptainJackValdy likes this.
  14. hubbo

hubbo quit Donator

or, we could just block them altogether. don't block SWEARING altogether, that would be too far, but block words like n*gger and faggot or any other word that could be categorized as actually offensive or derogatory.

CaptainJackValdy and ItsEchoYT like this.
  15. OkayFineILikeLex

Minecraft:
    daerbsivad
    n*gger seems legit, I've seen a few people dropping the n word casually when there's no staff in sight. (It's the hard r version too boys.)

ItsEchoYT and hubbo like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Former S.TAFF | M Donator

Minecraft:
    momand
    should depend on context

like if there's somebody going like "hey fag" or "ok faggot" to his/her friend it shouldn't be an insta warn, but if we got somebody going "yo ____'s a fucking faggot!" then yea they should get a warn

ItsJerry and hubbo like this.
  17. SassyOrange_

SassyOrange_ Subscribe to Pewdiepie Donator

Minecraft:
    SassyOrange_
    it cant depend on context if you are making someone feel bad or degrading someone based on how they are, im sure a direct hate message to someone is in the rules already but yeah it should definetly be an instant warn so I AGREE

18. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    Once upon a time, any derogatory or demeaning word was an instant warn. This included words like Chink, faggot, cunt, etc. We also had a persiod of time where no word was an instant warn. Eventually, we re-added Nigger to the instant warn list because it was ALWAYS used with intent to harass and left everything else up to context.

Sometimes, this still provokes issues where players use a word in a "friendly" way but someone it wasn't directed at still takes offense and reports it. Not everyone can see eye to eye on this, and that's just the way it is.

Personally, I struggle with the current rules on this. I think any racist term, like Chink or Beaner should be auto-warn worthy. I still find words like Faggot highly offensive. But I don't know where to draw a line and these words don't get used often enough to really merrit the change, imo. So I just settle on the idea that the current rules are fine. If someone steps out of line, they are still taken care of in the current rules.

Amandq, t3mptr3s, ItsEchoYT and 6 others like this.
  19. SassyOrange_

SassyOrange_ Subscribe to Pewdiepie Donator

Minecraft:
    SassyOrange_
    the difference between the words "Nigger" and "Faggot" arent massive as they are both discriminating or putting people under "black" or "straight" people. they are both as bad as each other

t3mptr3s and ItsEchoYT like this.
  20. PleaseStepUpToMeReally

PleaseStepUpToMeReally Stardust Smoker Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    I agree that they're both bad, but I disagree that they're bad to the same extent. "Nigger" has a whole ton of historical significance, dating back many hundreds of years but mostly significant, and especially so in the United States, in the last 300 of them. It's also clearly outlined by society as the worst word you can say. Faggot, if evident by the votes on this thread and by the reasons people have given, seems to have a less harsh public perception. Some people have even mentioned that they themselves or people they know use the word in a harmless or ironic context, and as I am both one of these people and friends to these people, I cant help but agree. From the perspective of a staff member, I do not wish to punish for something I dont think is sufficient reason to punish for, and especially so when I know the people using the word and that they're using it because that's just who they are. I agree that its immature, but it's definitely not malicious intent, and I don't believe that just because it targets a sexual orientation in the same way that "nigger" targets a race that they are of the same significance. Otherwise, we could classify "faggot" as equally bad as "homo" or "dyke". I'm guessing you probably rank these as unequal in power/significance.