9/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Strikyn, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smg

Smg Retired | Also known as 'Phaithful' Donator

Minecraft:
    Phaithful_
    It's a forum, people make threads. It's not a big deal lol

There shouldn't even need to be a conversation bout this, nothing wrong with it. So instead of continuing on and going off-topic let's just end it here

Strikyn and PopeUrbanII like this.
  2. witchchick128

witchchick128 Amity Blight Donator

Minecraft:
    AzuraBookClub
    canada ftw

No but seriously, super sorry to the Americans
    #neverforget

3. Timyus

Timyus The KitPvP Guy Donator

Minecraft:
    Timyus
    I guess what I was trying to say is some people would rather leave it be, like me. And wouldn't want to think about it anymore. I should have come with a different approach on what I said.

PopeUrbanII likes this.
  4. Strikyn

Strikyn Donator

Minecraft:
    Strikyn
    If you want to completely forget about the event, coming on to this thread and venting ain't gonna help

jessie, Sakujo, TreeKillerMan and 3 others like this.
  5. ChargedMerc

ChargedMerc no Donator

Minecraft:
    ChargedMerc
    its times like these i'd love a dislike button

6. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    I honestly don't understand how it's special. I pretty much avoid anything to do with it. I know where I was. I lived in the middle of all 3 crash sites. My son was 2 months old. My older 2 children were stuck in school because everything shut down. One of my best friends worked on the New Jersey side of the river in a make shift morgue collecting body parts. Yes, body parts. I knew people that worked in Manhattan that were stuck in the city. I remember the trains stopping. Days without airplanes in the sky. I remember being terrified that were going to be bombed and end up like one of the middle eastern countries that have their buildings falling apart and nobody caring enough to help us. I remember being terrified when my brother went to the Marine recruiters because there was a huge war on terrorism and we lived too close to NYC. It hit him hard, this need to kill the enemy. I don't want to always remember how terrified I was. To this day, I will never forget that and I never want to feel that way again.

It was one of the few times that I watched American's show concern for each other (the other was after Hurricane Katrina). It made me realize that it takes a loss of life or a catastrophe for us to give a damn about each other. Other than that it makes people angry at an invisible enemy. It encourages hate.

I wish people would do more for others without the expectation of getting something back. I wish people would learn about their neighbors. I wish people wouldn't hold skin color and religion against strangers. Bad things happen but there isn't some radical boogey man around the corner that should make us afraid of everything.

While it's nice to keep the people who died in our memories... having only one day where people post things like this and on Facebook, posting pictures of the planes crashing or the man who jumped out of the building in a free fall is not the way to do it. Keep them in your memory by living your life in the way they'll never get a chance to. Do good for others whenever you can. Above all be kind to each other.

7. Strikyn

Strikyn Donator

Minecraft:
    Strikyn
    I meant special as in it's a day that America changed, a lot. Films had to be edited because of parts that were related to 9/11 (this applies to games as well) changes were implemented in University Programs because of 9/11, also the "United States Department of Homeland Security" (or the DHS), was created in response to 9/11. Airport security has improved drastically since 9/11, and this is only scratching the surface in how America has changed since 9/11.

EDIT:
    Also, for those of you who are saying "Stop making threads like this please", I'd like you to know that if you don't like these sort of threads, it's completely fine, but there's no point of coming on here and ranting about why we shouldn't make these threads. I'd like to keep this thread civil

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Sakujo, t3mptr3s, ZeusV and 1 other person like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Donator

Damn, seriously...? Even tho I'm not American, I know how important it is to have a moment of silence every year.

Here in the Netherlands, we have 2 minutes of silence, first only for the people who had died for our freedom in WWII, then we decided to have a moment of silence of all of them.

Innocent people dying is fking horrible, and even if it's history, you can't just simply forget about it lmao. It will always be in the textbooks, people will always remember how they lost a loved one or family today.

More things happened in the past, and you can't just say 'forget about it'. So umh yeah let's forget Hitler, Stalin, yeah Auschwitz wasn't important either.

History is there so we can learn from it, so we don't make that same mistake. Without those things happening in the past, the world have been so much different now.

So please, forgetting about something where so many people lost their lives in such a short amount of time, is bs. It only happened 16 years ago too.

Anyways, my condolences to the ones who lost family, friends etc.

It's sad to see people do that, it almost feels like they don't take it serious and are just farming those likes by posting a picture about 9/11. I wish they'd take it a little more serious or professionally, because people who lost someone, a picture like that, will most likely hit you hard. And maybe if that's even the point, still, social media should be left out of it as much as possible. Sure showing respect okay, but posting such pictures, is a bit too much.

9. Costellon

Costellon professional Boy Donator

Minecraft:
    colorised
    @Phoenix

i dont get minutes of silence. how does standing in a room with kids giggling and poking eachother show respect?
    i dont believe in god. i dont believe that there's an afterlife or anything. i dont think that people watch over the living. i just think that minds cease to exist when you die.
    standing and remembering isnt going to help at all, and frankly i think that it's a waste of time. they're gone. remembering isnt going to bring them back, it'll just make it harder to cope. move on. generations to come arent interested in people that died 70 years ago.

australia has rsl's. return services league. pretty much every town has an rsl here. all of the profits go to returned soldiers from war.
    now, at 7am and 7pm we have the last post. every light source in the restaurant switches off and you are required to stand in silence while the last post plays.

also, we have ANZAC day. its a national holiday "celebrating" the anzacs. what people dont realise is that this was an attack at anzac cove. we lost that war. how does a holiday show respect for the anzacs, and where does the "celebration" come from. stupid.

have you seen a single WWII remembrance thread? i know i havent.
    i havent seen any remembrance threads for the people lost in palestine, syria, germany, south sudan, iraq, somalia, africa, congo or pakistan.
    this just goes to show the attitude americans have to their own people.

there are 7.442 billion (2016) people on earth. we're on the break of overpopulation. people need to die for the world to function.
    people view death as such a bad thing and that people need to take years out of their lives dedicated to what, remembering? right.

sorry for going way too into this.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Donator

@Flamity it's fine that you find this stupid. I find it very nice to actually show a little respect to the people who fought for our freedom in the war, and it only take 2 minutes every year.

With this, I have to agree. It's probably because a huge part of the forums members live in America and have been raised with the average American history books, which doesn't cover a lot of the world's history. It's kind of sad, but it doesn't bother that much because I honestly like remembering and having respect for the people in silence without having a talk about it on a website with people around the world who aren't even interested in it.
    I don't think war is a good excuse to stop overpopulation. In fact, in Germany they actually need to have more babies. It really depends on where you live.

And we people remember the dead ones because we're human. If you lose someone close to you, you don't just forget them either. Us remembering WWII is just kind of a thank you, and a reminder that we are free and should be grateful for that. Idk about 9/11 tho.

11. Cami

Cami Donator

Minecraft:
    camiwami
    It’s only awkward when you make it awkward.

Phoenix likes this.
  12. Saul1337

Saul1337

Kids are gonna be kids, but once they grow older they will most likely grow the respect.

From a young age I have respected this day with all of my heart and I always have two minutes of silence.
    But it's the general idea, to not forget the ones who went into a living hell to fight till the death so you could live in a free world.
    You don't have to believe in a god, you don't have to believe that there's an after life but what is a fact that you can simply not believe in is that specifically in WWII a lot of soldiers died, and that every single one of them had their own lives and own things going on but they dropped that all to go to war and many never returned, and the ones that did never felt at home in any place again. Never regained their normal life in this world.
    Saying it's a waste of time is a dumb argument, you talking on this forum is a waste of time. By any means, doing anything ever is a waste of time.

Nowhere is it said that people have to dedicate years into remembering, keep in mind that once a year there is a 9/11 memorial day.
    One day a year, and maybe the regular civilian takes 5~ minutes to take a moment and remember it. Yup, surely taking many years out of your life.

Also of course death is viewed as a horrible thing to happen, it's of course natural for a human to die and if nobody ever died but we kept repopulating it'd be horrible. But there's still human emotions that come into play when a person dies, if a person dies (for example your mom) you don't just go
    ''Hm ok my mom has died, well a newborn can be put on this planet now everyone there's a spot free''
    There's a natural process of grief when someone close to you dies, of course there are things that could lead to a person who has lost someone close to them not feeling this but it probably still happens 90% of the time.

In short, feel whatever you want to feel but respects others decisions to take a moment of their time to remember the ones who have fallen for them.

13. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    you're absolutely right.

EDIT: (didnt see phoenix's reply)
    true but.. why? it's only tradition that we sit in silence. if you had a choice to do something more meaningful, would you?
    phoenix every country wants you to be on their side. propoganda exists everywhere in so many forms. america, and quite frankly the rest of the world, wouldnt publish books/school curriculums focusing on the corruption of their own government, would they. people need to learn to look beyond what they see on television and read in the media.
    you're right.
    i can understand that. i guess that i just feel like we should focus on greater things such as fixing global warming, or even leaving the planet as opposed to remembering people that died years ago.

also

14. n00bhouse

n00bhouse Donator

This thread is a ticking timebomb.

Meme and Rollz like this.
  15. Costellon

Minecraft:
    colorised
    seriously.

16. t3mptr3s

t3mptr3s ~ Emotional Support Staff Member ~ Staff Member Mod+

Minecraft:
    t3mptr3s
    @Kimonade I know that you're intentions were well meant, I cannot fault you for that. Your heart was in the right place.

I think my biggest issue here is that I don't think many on the server was old enough to actually remember what happened. It would be similar to me and how the American soldiers were treated when they returned from the Vietnam War. I was a baby. I've heard stories. I've read the history of it but I never actually lived it.

@Phoenix I also believe that people outside of the US have more respect for others. We used to have moments of silence every day when I was in elementary school Now in the US not many people really care. Probably a better conversation to have on discord (and I mean typing back and forth, I don't talk :P)

@Flamity I'm an American and even I know what Anzac Day is. Granted, I've gamed with a lot of Aussies over the years. I've picked up holidays and traditions from my friends because it meant something to them. Just looking at your profile it feels like you're just trying to stir trouble. "Happy 9/11" seriously? People burned to death and you say "Happy 9/11". As for the "WWII Remembrance", 9/11 is modern history. It's not about propaganda it's about common sense. Doing what's good for other people regardless of what people try to push you to believe. Learning some tact wouldn't hurt.

The world is getting to a boiling point. This is not just about the US. One day the world will be in your hands and what then? It will be too hard to build relationships with others. Reiterating what I wrote in my first post, because some how this eluded a few people. Be kinder to other people. Try to help those less fortunate. The picture others try to paint isn't always how things really are. Get out there, make a difference. There are too many angry and hateful people out there. Don't be one of them.

Costellon, Phoenix and Strikyn like this.
  17. ChargedMerc

ChargedMerc no Donator

Minecraft:
    ChargedMerc
    this thread is going to get locked by a moderator or the owner of the thread just watch

18. vipa

vipa the hornace of death Donator

I can sense this thread is on the verge of being derailed. I really suggest the OP lock it before it happens.

Anyways, I respect what the firemen and policemen did during 9/11. Instead of breaking the country apart, the incident brought us closer, allowing us to band together to tend to a tragedy that affected the entire country. It's a day we have to look back on and think, "Never again." No one deserves this.

19. RulerofMobs

RulerofMobs Fuck. Bye, survival. Donator

Minecraft:
    u9r
    For all 2,977 people who have died, I am deeply sorry. Yesterday was the day that two planes flew into two towers, one plane flew into the Pentagon, and one plane flew into Pennsylvania. For all of you that have said that it's part of the cycle that keeps Earth going, this was not. It was not their time to die. These people were brutally killed. I would like to thank all of the people on the plane that was supposed to hit the white house but instead crashed in Pennsylvania. I would like to thank all of the firefighters who risked and also lost their lives, trying to get people out safely. I would like to say I am so sorry for everyone that lost their lives.

I have gone to the 9/11 memorial, and it scared me. It still does. To know that I was probably ten feet away from so many bodies... It was a beautiful but sad sight. My mom sat down and cried, and I felt like doing that too. The two waterfalls with all 2,977 names was amazing. This should be treated with seriousness. I must say, anyone who made a meme out of it has a bad sense of humor. My mom and dad's wedding was two weeks after the memorial. Multiple of the people they invited couldn't come. You know why? Because they were dead. So thank you for everyone that did anything to help anyone there. -Ruler

Phoenix and Strikyn like this.
  20. Strikyn

Strikyn Donator

Minecraft:
    Strikyn
    I'm going to lock this thread now since:
    1. It's no longer September 11th
    2. This thread has derailed and is now what it was far from what I had planned it to be

Thank you to those who stayed sensible and said what they needed to say.

/c

Meme, Sakujo, PopeUrbanII and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.